Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

how to get the true ending (no spoilers)?

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

i'm on mission 21 and want to make sure i'm working towards the game's true ending. is it possible to explain how to get this WITHOUT spoiling anything?

hope you can help. thanks :)

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't miss it. Keep playing yellow missions and side ops. Listen to yellow tapes.

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By groposo

As far as I know, you just have to play the game. Do the main missions, do the side-ops and go to mother base every now and then becouse there are some cutscenes that you can miss if you spend too much time away from motherbase. But I didn't know that there was a true ending and got had no trouble getting it, so you should be ok.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Just keep playing missions, and then play the main and important side ops that are highlighted in yellow.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

You'll see credits at some point, and at the end of them a sizzle reel of what is to come. From there, just do stuff. Prioritize yellow things, but for the most part just clear side ops, missions, etc. You will figure it out quickly.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If in doubt, play some side ops.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do the main missions. Don't worry about the super hard versions of the old missions unless you want to, they are unnecessary. Do any gold/yellow Side Ops you see. If there's a period of time where you don't have any special side ops or main missions left, then just do a bunch of Side Ops or do a main mission or two(they can be replays of the normal version of the old missions) to get a specific game clock to further. They'll let you know when a new thing pops up. That's it. No big deal, really. When you get Mission 46, you're about to do the final mission for real.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By MetalBaofu

@quarters said:

Don't worry about the super hard versions of the old missions unless you want to, they are unnecessary.

Yeah...I wanted to do every mission, but I hate those. Good to know I don't have to do them. I'm on a total stealth one and the one where I have to fight Quiet. I'm not going to do them.

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mattgriffin

Main/Gold missions and tapes.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

What's the actual final mission number? And are the last couple just more remixes? I'm at 41.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

What's the actual final mission number? And are the last couple just more remixes? I'm at 41.

The missions with credits attached are 31, 45, and 46. 31 is the end of the normal story, 45 is the end of a specific storyline, and 46 is the true ending.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are you able to keep playing after the "true" ending? Or no?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

Are you able to keep playing after the "true" ending? Or no?

Yes, in fact you unlock a couple new items as a result of watching the finale and there's a few missions that are more or less remixes of previous ones that give you something to do.

InsaneEnergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat mission 46

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@quarters said:

Don't worry about the super hard versions of the old missions unless you want to, they are unnecessary.

Yeah...I wanted to do every mission, but I hate those. Good to know I don't have to do them. I'm on a total stealth one and the one where I have to fight Quiet. I'm not going to do them.

If you want to beat that one easily. Use a tank.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mirado
    @metalbaofu said:
    @quarters said:

If you want to beat that one easily. Use a tank.

And if you want to do it non-lethal, without firearms (for the objectives list): The supply drop on her head still works, but only if you bait out her shot beforehand. I suggest the parasite suit with the armor upgrade just in case you screw up; wait for the countdown to hit 20, pop up, she'll prioritize shooting at you, and she'll get thumped by the box.

Much tougher than the first time through, but still doable.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mission 46 didn't unlock for me until i established a FOB and did the tutorial. I was playing side ops like a madman and nothing happened. But when i did the FOB crap it unlocked straight away.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OurSin_360

I don't follow to closely as to not get spoiled, but didn't kojima tweet that there is a TRUE ending and people haven't done everything yet? I'm pretty sure that will probably include S ranking or getting every objective for every mission. Just my guess though. I just finished mission 43 and everything else unlocked is a repeat mission atm. About 5 of them :-(

I believe that was the case in peace walker to fight the final boss Paz

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By handlas

I was led to believe that you didn't have to complete any of the "EXTREME", "SUBSISTENCE" or "TOTAL STEALTH" missions in order to get the final, true ending. But I've beaten all gold/yellow missions in both the main and side-ops. I've just about cleared out all the side-ops in fact and I've completed a certain character's entire story-line. Yet I don't have mission 46 on my list.

Why is this?

Do I need to complete those missions I listed above? Specifically there is an EXTREME version of the last mission that I reaaaaaally do not want to do because I completely hated that mission on normal difficulty.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@handlas: People were not lying. I only did two of the mission variations. Just go do other side ops you have left until they call you back. It will happen.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Any clue how many you need to do? Feels like it's becoming a real grind. I've completed 102/157 it says. Overall I'm at 54% completion... wondering if maybe it has something to do with overall completion percentage.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: A few times I felt the same because it took like 3 side ops for them to hit me back up but they would. I know the feeling because I had the same doubts or worries about some kind of glitch but it should work out for you. If you have a stupid easy side op like mine clearing just do that.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: To confirm what @artisanbreads said you do *NOT* need to do the repeat missions to get the ending. If you are stuck with no important side ops or missions (marked in yellow) do 3 random side ops, like the prisoners or soldier extractions. This will get you back on track. I much prefer this to having to do those missions over as I used the side ops as an excuse to try out all the gear I ignored during the main game. Decoys are hilarious.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By handlas

Alright I'll keep at it! I've actually already done 6 Side-Ops since getting the wrap up on the buddy's story. I'll just keep at it and hope it unlocks soon.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: Just in case I will spoiler this due to it having mission name and task related spoilers but:

The only repeat mission I did at all was "Back up, Back Down" because I enjoyed the challenge. Did you do all the missions to get wandering mother base soldiers? That is the only thing I can think of besides the 1 story mission repeat I did that might have any effect on it at all.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By handlas

@amikron said:

@handlas: Just in case I will spoiler this due to it having mission name and task related spoilers but:

The only repeat mission I did at all was "Back up, Back Down" because I enjoyed the challenge. Did you do all the missions to get wandering mother base soldiers? That is the only thing I can think of besides the 1 story mission repeat I did that might have any effect on it at all.

Haven't done that one. I've only done one Total Stealth one. I've done probably 15 or so Side-Ops now and still nothing :(. I guess I'll give that a shot and see if it does anything. I think I've done all the Wandering missions (spoilers for medical base story ahead). I've given Paz most of the pictures from those missions; the last time I went to her there was a cutscene about Skull Face with Ocelot so I'm not sure if that's the end of that storyline or if that even matters.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@handlas: It doesn't matter to finishing it but you have not finished it either, for the record. I finished the Paz storyline after the game. Did you listen to all the yellow tapes? Not sure if that matters totally but I would if you haven't.

pacmanl0607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pacmanl0607
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@pacmanl0607 said:

@artisanbreads: where do u find Paz? I haven't seen her in the game.

oh geez. I do get why you'd miss it (I would've) but I got tipped off early on by people. Go to the Medical Platform and look up on, if my memory serves, the third floor of the platform. There is a door with a blue light on that you can enter.

pacmanl0607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By handlas

@artisanbreads said:

@handlas: It doesn't matter to finishing it but you have not finished it either, for the record. I finished the Paz storyline after the game. Did you listen to all the yellow tapes? Not sure if that matters totally but I would if you haven't.

I have not and that's the only yellow markers on the mission screens now. I bet that is it actually... I'll do that next time I play. I've done so many Side-Ops, lol... I've just about completed all of them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:
    @artisanbreads said:

I have not and that's the only yellow markers on the mission screens now. I bet that is it actually... I'll do that next time I play. I've done so many Side-Ops, lol... I've just about completed all of them.

Oh yeah I think that might be it man. I don't think it should take you more than like three side ops to trigger that mission appearing so I'd listen to the tapes. I listened to the tapes religiously so I never ran into that issue but I think that's probably it.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: I didn't even think about suggesting the tapes, they are definitely worth a listen regardless! At least you can be happy knowing you were doing side ops in a good game instead of playing something less enjoyable!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys. That was, indeed, it. So listen to all yellow tapes as well as do all the main missions for sure. I pretty much didn't listen to a lot of them other than the Huey ones and created a backlog for myself.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: Glad to hear that you narrowed down what the limiting factor was. Now we know for sure what all you have to do for that last ending. Congrats on finishing up the game!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: LISTEN TO THE HAMBURGER TAPES! Glad that was it though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.