Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Konami Inviting Games Press To Play MGSV

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kasaioni

Konami recently started sending out a flood of tweets and retweets about a build of MGSV they are allowing "key guests" to play for a limited amount of time. They have been retweeting the reactions of these guests who say that the embargo for the preview will be off on June the 9th.

I'm guessing that this is some sort of unfinished build. I wonder if Kojima is okay with this, or if this is just Konami going "the hell with you we're getting this game out in some form." In any case, I'm anticipating June 9th and beyond.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I just hope that the narrative has some momentum. Problem I had with Peace Walker is that the story felt secondary to the base-building. Too many missions felt inconsequential and I hope that's not what the guy is secretly conveying.

Honestly, Metal Gear seemed like the last franchise that needed to go open-world, even with refined gameplay. But that didn't stop me from ordering the collector's edition.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kasaioni

@csl316: I wonder if they're even allowing them to play any of the story missions. So far it sounds like they're playing side missions.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CaLe

Been reading some impressions, seems like people rike it.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Gear Redemption.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@kasaioni said:

@csl316: I wonder if they're even allowing them to play any of the story missions. So far it sounds like they're playing side missions.

Not sure, but hopefully the design is such that the side missions feel important.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Is this a review event or some preview event? Didn't Konami do this with the some of the MGS release?

I could have swore that they had an event at a hotel somewhere to let reviewers play some MGS for review...

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unclebenny: This seems like a preview event (which the players are reviewing for June). I don't know what other times they've done this.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Sessh

At least the little bit the are allowed to say sounds positive already.

Also how were Dan and Drew not invited as the de-facto biggest experts in all things MGS?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@unclebenny said:

Is this a review event or some preview event? Didn't Konami do this with the some of the MGS release?

It's a preview thing.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By monkeyking1969

UPDATE:

Oh, that Peter Brown from Gamespot.... Yeah, I never heard of him. Sorry Peter. And, yup never heard of David either, but I chalk them up to games media bifurcating into "celeb media" and "everyone else".

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kasaioni

@monkeyking1969: Man, lighten up dude. Here, geez.

No Caption Provided

Matthew Kato is a senior editor at Game Informer.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Everybody saying this is like Peace Walker makes me less interested in the game.

Eh. I'll play it eventually, but I'm not as hyped for this game now.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I read something about fighting bears. I'm sold.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Going to just re-iterate what I've said a dozen times. Anyone of you interested in MGS V should REALLY play Peacewalker for multiple reasons. Story and mechanics both.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Wacomole

Hmmm. Peace Walker is the only major Metal Gear game I haven't played due to a lack of having a Vita/PSP.

It also meant I got a lot less out of Ground Zeroes as it was the first I'd seen of Paz and Chico and the game kinda assumes you'll see them and say "oh wow isn't that...!?".

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kasaioni

@demoskinos: Yeah, I cannot stress this enough either. I bet most of the people who complain about the fulton system have not played Peace Walker.

@cornbredx Peace Walker does have it's flaws, but I think most of those flaws come from the "meant for portable" design. The Peace Walker vibes I get from what I've seen of MGSV involve base building, weapons development and soldier/stat managing.

@wacomole I want to say that you can buy Peace Walker digitally for PS3 and/or 360. It's also in the HD and Legacy collection.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is exciting stuff! :D I mean, I'm trying to avoid a lot of the coverage of the game, but the snippets are exciting!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19 FinalDasa  Moderator

Video game previews aren't dead, still annoying. News at 11.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I really want to avoid coverage too, but this sort of caught me off guard so I said "fuck it."

But I'm getting the PC version, which means that I have to avoid the internet for a full two weeks when the game comes out.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

ive completed peace walker on both psp, ps3 and 360. and yeah highly recommend that HD Edition is the only way to play it. psp version did not age well! especially control wise, framerate, resolution... etc.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@kasaioni: I do not envy you in that regard! You'll (most likely) have the best version of the game, but I don't think I could wait those two weeks. I'm that much of an obsessed crazy person.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Everybody saying this is like Peace Walker makes me less interested in the game.

Eh. I'll play it eventually, but I'm not as hyped for this game now.

I dunno if you played PW duder but having played it a lot myself and having absorbed a ton of MGSV info I would say: there is a high level similarity (base building is a mechanic). That's all. Moment to moment controls, environment, level layouts, AI, gadgets, look vastly different.

Peace Walker was extremely limited in its encounter design and mechanics as well as its size and story. This seems the opposite.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: It's (GZ) definitely the best looking version of the game, if you can run it on the highest settings, which I can ;) But there's no collectors edition for PC, so no mechanical arm for me. I'm not even sure if there's a DAY 1 version on PC either.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: @kasaioni: Now I remember why I didn't buy it. I got the HD collection free on PS+ a while back and thought I was "set" to play it later, only to find out months after that it was only the Vita version they gave away. D'oh!
    I've been meaning to pick it up ever since but it became a lower and lower priority (also less and less of a value proposition as I already have the other 2 games in the collection).

I've just seen now, though, that they are selling Peace Walker on its own on the PS3 so I suppose I still have plenty of time to pick it up before MGSV launches.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I know this thread exists, here's an info-dump from me.
    Weirdly enough, I'm most excited at the possibility of there being a lot of licensed 80s tracks in game. And BEARS. And biomechanical super soldiers.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=19265

And of course, the leaked chapter/mission list. Only the stuff in quotes is what was leaked. Everything else is people guessing at titles.

Prologue "Awakening"

The first chapter "Revenge"

Task 1 "Phantom Limbs"

Task 2 "Diamond Dogs"

Task 3 "A Hero's Way"

Task 4 "C2W"

Task 5 "Over The Fence"

Task 6 "Where Do The Bees Sleeps"

Task 7 "Red Brass "

Task 8 "Occupation Force"

Task 9 "Back Up, Back Down"

Task 10 "Angel With A Broken Wing"

Task 11 "Cloaked in Silence"

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: Some of the retweets from Konami had previewers mentioning the mission Where Do The Bees Sleep, one someone was talking about finding a weapon? Also I wonder if that's the complete list, or only part of it. Or if those are even main missions, because from the sounds of it the previewers were playing extra ops.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: That is definitely an incomplete list. Perhaps it reflects the story critical missions in the first act/chapter of the game?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kasaioni

Edited the first post with a video from "YongYea" the encapsulates all the twitter stuff from the MGSV preview event.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. I'm getting it anyway. I opt not to spoil myself like I did with MGS2. It'll be good. And if it isn't, it'll be bad for compelling reasons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.