Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Managing supply drop / pick up costs

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As I've pimped out my gear and chopper, I've noticed my supply drops and pick ups have skyrocketed in price.

Example: Deployments are now costing over 30,000 GMP, easy.

I'm realizing I really never use the chopper for any backup support.... so I'm going back to the basic chopper with no extras... screw it.

How are you guys managing deployment / pick up prices? Or does it even really matter?

No Caption Provided

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I researched a lot of the cool upgrades for the chopper and then realised that i was crazy expensive so dialed back most of that stuff.

I never really used it in combat situations, only a couple of times to take down enemy choppers. I don't need to be burning 30,000 GMP each time I fly out with it! Also the 'return to ACC' option is great and limits how often I see the chopper anyway.

My loadout has been the same for a while as I'm kinda just grinding materials at the moment to sink back into researching fun items that I haven't used yet. I think my main expense is in resupplies in the field, but you recover the GMP on anything you don't need. Fultoning containers can get expensive, but then I can just go do a side op to earn some cash. Or sell some of those Precious Metals.

I try to keep my GMP over 400,000 and so far I've been able to do so!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Since i normally stealth it and killing is a last option kinda thing, i keep my equipment as basic as it can be. I use the starting assault rifle, a magazine, GZ sneaking suite, a box for fast travel, tranq gun with only the first upgrade (don't normally use it since i choke people out) and the wormhole. That ends up being about 4,000-5,000 GMP, with the wormhole being the majority of the cost. If i need something with a little more firepower for a side op i air drop it in and use supply drops as needed. So doing one side op/mission nets me way more GMP then i end up spending so its never been a problem for me.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By poobumbutt

@hoossy: I used the basic, out-of-the-box chopper pretty much the whole game and found it just fine. The only time I didn't was when I was being a crazy person and doing S-rank runs and wanted to make sure the chopper came as fast as possible. Not sure, but I think it didn't matter very much. Default seems just fine if you're not intending to use it as backup.

Also, if you're even remotely concerned with building up your base and doing side ops, you'll have more money than you know what to do with by the time you get to Africa, unless you buy a LOT of weapon upgrades constantly.

However, I suppose I should mention to take all of this advice from the perspective of a strictly-stealth player.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Devil240Z

I have been using the vanilla 1000gmp chopper for side ops stuff and if I think I might need it for a tough mission I beef it up but then take it back to stock after.

I also have a budget loadout for side ops stuff so it usually costs 5-10k gmp to deploy and 1000 for pickup. and I can usually get enough diamonds/plants to cover my costs multiple times over plus side ops rewards. I end up spending a lot on fultoning turrets and stuff but thats basically my rainy day fund for if I really need gmp but it hasn't really been an issue.

But yeah if you have the legendary gunsmith you can take a crappy cheap rifle and make it better than a more expensive one so I take the 2 star starter rifle and then customize it with accessories from better ones and the cost stays the same unless you add a grenade launcher to it or something like that.

Ive been trying to figure out the best bang for your buck loadout so I can get through most situations. But if a gunship or something shows up I'm pretty much screwed unless I call in a rocket launcher.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako:Yeah, I typically keep my over half a million, but I just developed Quiet's silenced tranq gun so now I'm pratically broke.

@poobumbutt: Yeah, I've been doing all sorts of side ops / base building / staff missions, but I also upgrade my stuff, especially my buddies, so I still find myself running super low on GMP.

@devil240z: That is a great suggestion with the weapon loadout. IDK if I have the legendary gunsmith yet, I don't think so, just false leads. It didn't occur to me that I could just upgrade "lower" weapons and still get the same results. That said, now that I have Quiet all upgraded, it's making most of my missions a cakewalk. All I need is some explosives, just in case.

Now I need to go grind some fuel.....

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was running low on GMP i'd always just sell Biological Materials. For me, it seemed like I always had an extreme excess of BM, considering It's used for so few things in the game. Considering liquidating some of your resources that you aren't going to be needing for a long time to recover some of your GMP deficit.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Devil240Z

@kadash299: There are points where I have had like 15-20mil GMP worth of Biological Materials. I usually sell those or Precious Metals before anything else although I often hit the cap on how many plants you can have since you can only have 3000 of each plant so I will often sell those to keep them at around 2500 units.

And in the nearly impossible case that you are dead broke you can just wander around mother base interrogating your staff and they will often give you the location of diamonds. alot of times one single strut will have 100k gmp worth of diamonds laying around.

Money is basically not an issue if you are going after it. I could see it being more difficult if you completely main line the whole game like if you're doing a speedrun or something but if you are playing normally money is so easy to get.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm finished with my main game, but a while back I started selling my plants. I don't need a ton unless I'm doing specific research, and even then I can keep above 500 of the minor plants and sell the rest. Now that I also have the double plant pick-up upgrade, I try to get as many plants in the field as possible. Getting 20 of any plant with the upgrade and selling them for 500 / 1000 GMP each means that grabbing up those makes up for deployment costs almost immediately, and getting more is straight profit.

I just wish I didn't screw up early and miss the prisoner I needed for that upgrade - I would have never, ever been hurting for cash if I had gotten him/her when I should have. The game definitely kind of screws you in making some of those necessary skills obtainable only through completely optional, occasionally annoying effort. Minor complaint.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never do supply drops and I always use rank 1 versions of equipment/helicopter. For the mission Backup, Back Down, I called my helicopter to recruit over 30 soldiers and the six prisoners. All that cost me 2000 GMP (1000 per helicopter called) as opposed to 300 per fulton. Took me close almost twenty minutes to drag each body to the LZ but it was worth it.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I always forget to sell all this material. Like you said, I also have a lot of extra bio material left (of course, I can have some upgrading to do on at mother base).

Where is precious metal used for development?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, weird thing that's sort of related to this... If you're looking through your scope you can press some button (there's a prompt on screen, but I forgot what button it actually is) that lets you call in air strikes etc... but it also lets you choose what rank you want (E,D,C etc), so you can call in really cheap air strikes even when your Support Unit is really high level.

This game really likes hiding its useful systems.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

My deployment costs got pretty huge at some point, like around 50k, but money wasn't really a huge deal since any single mission or side op I was doing at that point was bringing in at least 100k so the books balanced out.

If there was a better way to save and manage load outs for Snake like you can for D Walker I'd be more inclined to have a low cost and high cost version. As it is the game gives you so many toys it's a shame to limit myself and I'm too lazy to tinker with what I'm bringing each and every time.

Also as others mentioned I'd regularly sell biological materials, wormwood or metals which I always had a large excess of. They really didn't balance that part of the game very well since fuel is always such a tight bottleneck for making anything else.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hoossy: I've seen it used in d walker upgrades but like 250-500 at a time. I usually have around 10000...

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xerseslives

Sell half of every plant you have. I rarely ran out of money, but that was typically my go to when I did.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    If there was a better way to save and manage load outs for Snake like you can for D Walker I'd be more inclined to have a low cost and high cost version. As it is the game gives you so many toys it's a shame to limit myself and I'm too lazy to tinker with what I'm bringing each and every time.

You know you can have 3 loadouts saved, right? On the loadout screen you just press the bumpers to cycle through them. I only found that out because someone on here mentioned it, so I can see people completely missing it...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@teddie: I thought I saw it at some point but then when I actually looked for it later I couldn't find it so I assumed I must have gotten it confused with D Walker. Good to know in not crazy though!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most Mother Base needs for a final strut is 48k of a resource (or 72 for the FOB).

This is what I'm waiting on at the moment, I need 72,000 Fuel for Stage Four Base Development!

Aside collecting the 100xProcessed boxes and waiting for the Materials Processing to come through, is there anything else to do to get Fuel? I'm sending of Combat Deployments that have a chance of getting it, and when I got some points from the PF Ranking League thing I put that all into Fuel.

Am I missing anything? It seems like a huge wait to get to the 72,000.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nethlem

When i first unlocked the chopper upgrades i never used them, because i considered them way to expensive, especially the useful ones (dispatch speed up). Others seem to do nothing at all, i have yet to see my chopper actually use the flares or any of the rocket/missile launchers when equipped.

Now, 250 hours into the game, I'm looking for every opportunity to spend GMP, because I'm pretty much always maxed out on GMP, resources/plants and there's nothing left to research. Even my "Reward box" keeps filling up to the cap, as it can only hold 200 items. In that regard i consider the caps way too low, capping resources at 200k, while facilities can cost upwards of 100k to build on FOB's, just feels like a cheap way to draw the game out.

Btw: The amount of materials processed each circle depends on the total amount of unprocessed materials in your possession, so collecting more unprocessed fuel helps getting processed fuel faster, as does a higher base construction unit level. Combat deployments are also a good way to get fuel, because those that have resources as reward (Farwater exploitation) usually give a whole bunch of different resources and not just one specific one.

Good places to farm fuel:

Afghanistan Central Base Camp has like 5 fuel containers, 4 near the northern most hangar and 1 red one near the helipad.
    Oil Refinery in Africa has 2-3 red fuel containers next to it's switchboard.
    Airport in Africa has also a couple of fuel containers in the north.

The containers respawn after doing 3-5 missions (side-ops don't count), so just repeat one of the quicker missions (A Heroes Way, Quiet, Over The Fence) to get them to respawn. GameFAQs also has this really useful thread about resource locations and an exploit(?) to farm them in a less time consuming way.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strip down your chopper to nothing, only costs 1000 GMP at that point. Really unless you're fond of calling chopper support the only time it ever needs to be beefed up is mission 31/50.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

Strip down your chopper to nothing, only costs 1000 GMP at that point. Really unless you're fond of calling chopper support the only time it ever needs to be beefed up is mission 31/50.

I love extracting out of hotzones. Sneak in, secure the PoW or whatever your mission is, disable the air-radar and then just call in the Helicopter all gunz blazing and extract like a boss.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By ViciousReiven

I never really managed my stuff, I basically just went full arsenal loaded to the teeth the whole game always equipping the best versions of whatever items I wanted to bring, the few times I'd get down in GMP I'd just do some side ops and pilfer containers along the way and sell off excess materials.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ravelle

Every time I run low on money I just sell a bunch of plants, my money goes from broke to the max amount of GMP you can have. I also have like 40 tanks and trucks I sell if my plants run out so money is never an issue. I always deploy full decked as well.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Fuel does not stay that important, once you got MB fully upgraded there's pretty much no more use for it, unless you want to get into the FOB game but there the bottleneck seems to be actually having enough decent staff as security and not the resources. The airshock weapons can be really fun (silenced airshot shotgun sends people flying real nice) and flat out broken for FOB invasions (airshot revolver). Imho the 5 million GMP cap, just like the 200k caps on resources and 3k caps on plants, are pretty much all designed to slow the progress of the player down and prevent too much hoarding, it's kinda cheap in terms of padding out the games length.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

By the end of the game my choppers were costing 60k and I was also rolling in so much GMP that I kept hitting the maximum of 5 Million regularly. Honestly GMP was never an issue for me. As long as I didn't go super crazy on the ultra expensive research items that were like 1 Million+ I maintained a pretty healthy balance without trying.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

The GMP cost becomes a non-issue after you realize that red containers with precious metals are 500k each. The airport has 3 of those containers, that's enough to deploy 50 times if your deployment costs are 30k. So I don't really consider the cost of my deployments anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.