Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain Waiting Room

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Minimum 40 eps here. Damn. I hope Drew not only realises what he's getting himself into but I also hope he doesn't play it up for the cameras and the audience. I want to see him explore the systems and the stealth rather than defaulting to going Rambo because it's easy and keeps the pace and excitement up.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Huh. Not too sure how I feel about that. Metal Gear Scanlon is one of my all time favourite video series on here, but a big part of that has been the fact that I've never played any of the MGS games with the exception of the first (when I was like 10 years old, so my memory was pretty hazy on it).

After watching all of the Metal Gear Scanlon videos, this convinced me to pre-order MGS5, and I'm super looking forward to playing it. I wonder if this will take any enjoyment out of watching the videos? I know some of you guys have "played along" with Drew as he works his way through the games, what was your experience with it?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bummed that they are going to go into it this early. Maybe I'll be able to watch it around this time next year or something.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladededge said:

MG scanlon V is might well be 30-50 episodes long.

Are you forgetting the P4 Endurance run?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ikilledthedj said:

@bladededge said:

Man, the good old days. Deadly Premonition was 40ish(x2) too.

I kinda feel sad for non-premium members missing out on these modern day endurance runs.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, I will still be playing it for myself, before then (whenever that'll be).

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By SpicyRichter

@ghost_cat: witcher 3 has been the first open world game where the side missions have had a better story than the main mission. That games story is no joke. I hope mgsv has the same caliber storytelling in its side content but I doubt it will, considering this is Konamis first non-linear outing

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50 episodes of MGSV. I'm in

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikilledthedj said:

@bladededge said:

Man, the good old days. Deadly Premonition was 40ish(x2) too.

I kinda feel sad for non-premium members missing out on these modern day endurance runs.

And i just got 2x years of premium! Greedy

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By Bollard

Well I never. I bet episode 100 will be a doozy.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By emfromthesea

Yeah, I don't know if this is a good idea. Not only is the game significantly longer than previous Metal Gear games, you can't necessarily mainline the story missions (for a few reasons). To get the most out of the game, you should be exploring all the mechanics on offer and taking it slow. If Drew sticks to one weapon and does as little of the side content as possible, he'll be missing out for the sake of pleasing viewers.

But who knows. The Ground Zeroes playthrough Drew did was highly entertaining, and a lot of MGSV is variations on that scenario with much more freedom.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wonder if this will be a live series, or pre-recorded like past metal gear scanlons. Either way, I probably won't watch it for awhile.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Did you fix the title? Fix it back.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Part of me wishes Drew would play the game on his own time and really rollick in the open world and take his time, then write a review or have a podcast about it.

The other part of me knows that Drew has said he doesn't care for open world games and just likes to mainline the story, which makes me think this could be great.

He's also going to find that he is going to suffer for that. You can choose not to interact with the Mother Base stuff but the game as a result is going to be much much harder. And building up enough GMP to research items ect requires a lot of time put in side-ops.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incredible. Can't wait.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing stops Metal Gear Scanlon Month!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, this might make up the entirety of Metal Year Scanlon 2.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#69 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I was actually hoping they would do Jeff's suggestion of filming it then sitting on it for six months. That being said, I look forward to watching the episodes after I play through the game next week.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it's a good thing I suppose, it now means that I won't be coming to the site for at least a month or so.

I'll be getting the game on release but I probably won't be able to start playing it for about a week.

So while the show is going on I'd have to avoid not only the forums but also the inevitable thumbnails on the videos on the front page.

Better to just avoid the site altogether for a month or until I have completed the game (whichever comes first)

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an avid super MGS fan it's funny but as soon as they announced this the first thing that came to mind was that a Persona 5 Endurance run was a possibility. Stoked about this though and can't wait!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you think this will mean people in the comments will stop backseat gaming

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

Did you fix the title? Fix it back.

I didn't fix the title >_>

Who changed it from watitng?! Conspiracies abound!!

*Changes it back* - if it changes to Waiting again, I'll assume mods are doing it and will leave it alone.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

My copy arrives today, so I'm going to be playing once I get home. I don't know if I'll be watching this any time soon. It feels weird to watch these guys play through it so close to my own first run through.

I think they should change it up though. Clearly Drew was better at Ground Zeroes, so I think Dan should have to play and receive instruction from Solid Scanlon.

That's right:

Loading Video...

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bladededge said:

Never Forget.

PS preorder Mario Maker.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's played it early, there's a lot of important story beats in the side missions regarding some pretty major characters and if Drew doesn't complete a certain path by about mission 40 they're gonna miss a lot of important things.

No spoilers.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Do you think this will mean people in the comments will stop backseat gaming

I tend to skip over the comments, so that's not a big deal to me. Dan on the other hand...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be a fun ride.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By turboman

As long as Drew is able to play at the same pace he did for Ground Zeroes, then this could be brilliant. He had a good mix of actual sneaking around and running and gunning.

---

Edit: Actually, the gameplay in MGS V is so open that it really doesn't matter how he decides to play it.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant wait, not going to get TPP till next year so im glad i can still see the story relatively close to launch.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely playing a huge chunk of it for myself before digging into the videos, but really excited that they will be doing it over the release window. After watching Drew's pretty exceptional Ground Zeroes play through (Seriously, that being his first play through with the new control system and coming off of 4 was really good) I'm eager to join them on this final journey in Kojima crazy-town.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to play at the same time as these guys. I'm curious to see Dan's reactions seeing as this will all be entirely new to him.

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

So excited!

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

Do you think this will mean people in the comments will stop backseat gaming?

People already have the game and have been playing it for days now, so...probably not. There will ALWAYS be someone on the internet to tell you you aren't playing the "right" way.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about 8 or 9 hours of the game now and this is a pretty silly idea. I love Metal Gear Scanlon, but some missions require an insane amount of patience/sneaking. There's just so many options. It's super overwhelming, the large open areas of Afghanistan aren't like the super contained area in GZ. I can't imagine much work would be needed for the base stuff as you can auto assign that stuff, and it does a good job, but man. One mission earlier took me like two hours playing sneakily... and even then it turned into a big old gunfight at the end. I haven't even scratched the surface of that game. MGS for MGSV will be like 50 episodes.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By OurSin_360

I don't mind them doing it, but it should be a delayed release to maybe like November/December. I know i'm not watching anything until i beat it and that may take a while

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I thought Metal Gear Ryckert: Drewengenance would've happened before, given the revelation that Dan hasn't played Rising yet on this week's Bombcast.

Also, I think Solid Scanlon has steadily improved over the course of these videos. He did very well in Ground Zeroes.

Purps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From reading the reviews by people who beat the game already, this isn't a game you can mainline the story. One reviewer said he tried to ignore the basebuilding and side missions but got to a point in the story where he had to go back and do 10 hours worth of grinding to make up for time he spent skipping that stuff in order to unlock the next story mission. Also many people are saying the majority of the story is in the cassette tapes since there aren't very many cutscenes. If they aren't listening to the tapes during the playthrough they aren't going to get much story.

matsemann08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By matsemann08
    Loading Video...

38:30

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At launch? I thought it would be 6 months at least!

It kind of makes sense to me, there is so much hype for this game and the series of them playing it has either on purpose or accidentally lined up so well with V coming out that I get them playing it now. Plus also eeeeeeeeeeeeeheheeeeeeeee yay.

Oh and as for your other post, it's 9 hours later now so perhaps you know, but it is showing yes.

Avatar image for blackbird_sr71c
    Blackbird_SR71C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Words cannot express my joy!!!!!!!!!!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand: YAAAAAY! I was seriously expecting them to just not do this one.

On the other: Awwwww, I won't be able to watch it until I finish the game myself, and I won't be buying it for at *least* another month. Will my willpower hold out? I mean, I don't care about spoilers as much as I used to. For the first time, MGS is actually about the gameplay for me. But this is the last true MGS game... grrr... stupid wallet, be less empty.

rahlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On board with this decision.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By cikame

Cool, but i won't be watching until i've played through the game myself, at least i won't have to wait for episodes to go up :P.
    Dan will be going at the game hardcore as he has previously stated so he'll have to watch Drew play through a game he has very recently just played himself which could be a struggle, also even though Drew will likely go for the story parts, they may still be few and far between, seperated by sandbox gameplay.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be like, 60 episodes. Fuck.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw, was kind of hoping drew would get to play it on his own pace in his free time. But hey I assume he wanted to do it like this himself. Hope he enjoys it, I wont be watching till I'm done playing myself though :)

Metal Gear Scanlon is maybe my favorite premium feature so I wont be complaining.

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel conflicted. On one hand I like watching drew royally mess up on these games and Love it when He dose some funny/ awesome shit in them, but on the other I don't want him to do it for MGS5 because I want him to be able to play it at his own leisure.

Also he will be only playing the story things and I'm sure many of us want to do side stuff before some of the story missions so some of us wont watch some of the vids that are ahead of us game wise.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is actually the only one in the series that i wish dan was not in on, that it was drew either at work or at home alone, not playing it for us but only playing it for him and fuck that people are watching.
    only reason is because it brand spanking new and its an open world game and all that

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Dan will finish the game before the second or third episode is even out.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Not sure how they are going to do this with the game structure. And I'm definitely waiting until I've played myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.