Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain Waiting Room

Shmellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

YES! Will this be their first time playing through the game, or have they already been playing the review copies?

Lord_Anime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

All best decisions are made with saying "Fuck it" :D

It's fucking happening.

Praise be to Jason.

(For clarification - this was just announced live on air at the pre-pax show. Jeff said they're doing it at/around launch cos fuck it.)

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By GERALTITUDE

LOL

Well allllrighty then.

More stats! Hell to the yes.

Unfortunately I will be unable to watch this series until I play a hell of a lot of MGSV.

Curious how this one will turn out considering it's such a different format. And like many others I do sort of wish we could get a "normal Drew reaction" to this game.

Still! Bring it on.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, that blew up. Let me address my early point in general.

Yes I know about the Endurance Runs, and in-fact loved those. I, like many, wish they would do more. But, as stated by them multiple times, they have chosen specifically not to continue due to the amount of hassle the whole thing was. My curiosity is if they realize what it is they have said they are going to be doing..they may well have committed to doing something (An Endurance run) they are no long actively wishing to do..thinking it will be like the previous games.

And who knows, maybe they do a full play through then just edit it to be just story-missions. That would work, though again, a lot more work on the cutting room floor then the other series I'd think.

Whatever the case, I look forward too it.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#105 sgtsphynx  Moderator
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bladededge: Certain people on the team have said it is a hassle. Dan, in particular, has never said that and eagerly jumped into a playthrough. He did lots of these for Game Informer too. As long as Dan is here, I think the "ER" format will be carried on by him because whatever the hassles or bothers are that stop the others from doing the format Dan doesn't seem to be phased. I think most of it is the comments and community but I think Dan has a thick skin, which is great.

Not that there's anything wrong with anyone else not wanting to do an ER, but I think it's probably the best video content this site could produce so someone should be doing them. Hopefully something else comes along after Metal Gear Scanlon.

@donchipotle said:

Do you think this will mean people in the comments will stop backseat gaming

Of course not!

stryder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah woah woah. This was actually announced? AT LAUNCH?!

I don't know how I feel about this? So Dan and Drew (assuming Dan hasn't completed the game at launch) would be doing this thing that Dan didn't even finish yet, it's open world, and I would be playing too along side them... I might not watch at all for a few months, but it's still awesome that they're doing this.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By BladedEdge
    @artisanbreads said:

@bladededge: Certain people on the team have said it is a hassle. Dan, in particular, has never said that and eagerly jumped into a playthrough. He did lots of these for Game Informer too. As long as Dan is here, I think the "ER" format will be carried on by him because whatever the hassles or bothers are that stop the others from doing the format Dan doesn't seem to be phased. I think most of it is the comments and community but I think Dan has a thick skin, which is great.

Not that there's anything wrong with anyone else not wanting to do an ER, but I think it's probably the best video content this site could produce so someone should be doing them. Hopefully something else comes along after Metal Gear Scanlon.

@donchipotle said:

Of course not!

Ok so, Dan as far as I know doesn't get final say-so in this stuff and..wasn't it Jeff himself who said "Eh no, fuck doing that again?" I am nebulous on reasons, like it came up in some random UPF chat-question or something, maybe not. Dan certainly could do an ER style thing but...he'd need a partner, and a team of people behind him willing to do it. GB is not a 1 man operation. Yet, of course, they also don't tend to announce things unless they are committed too them. (See the 'yes we are working on things, no we won't say what cause you'll hold us too them once we do). Whatever form MGS5 comes in, we will get something worth my 3$ a month.

As far as backseat gaming. By god that is always an issue. And, no mater how much you tell people not too, people still do. "I'm not trying to tell you how to play but...' The only way I've ever seen that handled is either A-shut down comments. B-don't read any comments, at all, or C-Record everything before hand, so any advice is meaningless.

I don't think I've ever heard of/encounted GB doing A, and B is doable but..come on your gonna read comments for stuff you create. C on the other hand? I'd be all for them delaying MGS5 by a month or two (like long enough for all of us who want to play it ourselves first to do so) and just secretly record the whole thing..only release it in November, and not like May of next year as was the original thought.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ENDURANCE RUN MOTHERFUCKERS!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bladededge: I mean I'm sure Dan has to run any plan by Jeff but if Dan really wants to do something I'm sure Jeff won't say no because Jeff wouldn't want to do it. I'm sure Dan kind of has his room to do stuff he wants on the site, like the others do too. I'm sure it wasn't Jeff's idea for Brad to be playing DOTA every day.

You're right about needing someone else to sit in on any ER, which is where I'm not sure about it. I'm sure Drew or Jason don't mind doing the production at least.

As far as comments, I think you're right for most people but part of why Dan doesn't care and I think will do more playthroughs is he just reads the comments and isn't shook by them. He was regularly bringing up things from the comments during Metal Gear Scanlon so he was looking at all the shitty backseat gaming negative comments and not letting those get to him.

My dream next thing would be P5 ER with Jeff and Dan but probably won't happen. Well actually with Jeff and Vinny would be tops again but I don't think they would be willing to set that up with some kind of online connection. Anyways, Dan watching a JRPG play out would be hilarious and I bet he'd actually really like Persona. He actually does like some JRPGs too (he said he's a big Final Fantasy Tactics fan). Not expecting this to happen at all but yeah it'd be cool.

We will see what they come up with next.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I hope it's an episode a week or something, not to overkill it. Two, tops.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and I hope they do a spoilercast like they did back in the day with MGS4. A Dan/Drew/Brad/Jeff MGSV podcast episode or discussion video would be amazing after everyone finishes it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65 said:

Oh, and I hope they do a spoilercast like they did back in the day with MGS4. A Dan/Drew/Brad/Jeff MGSV podcast episode or discussion video would be amazing after everyone finishes it.

lol, you're funny.

Dan, Jason, and Drew doing a spoilercast would be great, but let's not pretend that anyone else is going to finish the game.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Drew misses the cassette tape that's just a recording of a guy pooping then I will die of sadness. It's up to him if he wants to set it as his helicopter's entrance theme though.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this game gets two reviews. One Dan, one Drew.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This whole series got me really pumped to play some Metal Gear. So I am going to play the game when it comes out and give it a while then watch this I think.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So long as I stay an episode ahead I'll be fine.

MikeRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By MikeRD

Coincidentally, I just finished Metal Gear Scanlon 3 (only episodes I hadn't yet seen), and was amused to hear this in literally the last minute of the final episode:

"I think we should say though: we probably won't do 5 until a long time after the release. I think it's kind of uncool, to like, do an entire playthrough of a game immediately after release... We'll figure that one out, but we're not gonna do it like immediately as it comes out."

Drew Scanlon, Metal Gear Scanlon 3: Part 13

Edit: To reiterate, I have mixed feelings about this, but it was just funny to hear that in the very last minute of their content I hadn't yet seen in light of the recent announcement.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@aegon said:

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

As much as I like Austin, no one could fill Jeff's shoes in that scenario.

edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think the compromise of filming story missions and letting Drew progress through the regular missions by himself could work well. Unless it's not obvious what missions are story ones before playing through them, of course.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wonder if they'll try play it all in one or two weeks and then drip it out

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I want to watch Drew play MGS5 I'll have to (I have no choice in this matter) play it myself first but the knowledge that I'll have episodes of Metal Gear Scanlon to watch after I am done is a very nice feeling. Now we hold out hope that Vinny and Alex or Vinny and Austin do a Persona 5 Endurance Run.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    @oldirtybearon said:

@stonyman65 said:

lol, you're funny.

Dan, Jason, and Drew doing a spoilercast would be great, but let's not pretend that anyone else is going to finish the game.

I'm with bearon here. None of them even finished the Witcher. Even though it obviously would make for great content and seems to be a great game, I'm not banking on more than Dan, Jason, and Drew.

As much as I want to watch Drew play MGS5 I'll have to (I have no choice in this matter) play it myself first but the knowledge that I'll have episodes of Metal Gear Scanlon to watch after I am done is a very nice feeling. Now we hold out hope that Vinny and Alex or Vinny and Austin do a Persona 5 Endurance Run.

They're definitely the last hope for a P5 ER.

mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes OK!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mikerd said:

Coincidentally, I just finished Metal Gear Scanlon 3 (only episodes I hadn't yet seen), and was amused to hear this in literally the last minute of the final episode:

"I think we should say though: we probably won't do 5 until a long time after the release. I think it's kind of uncool, to like, do an entire playthrough of a game immediately after release... We'll figure that one out, but we're not gonna do it like immediately as it comes out."

Drew Scanlon, Metal Gear Scanlon 3: Part 13

Edit: To reiterate, I have mixed feelings about this, but it was just funny to hear that in the very last minute of their content I hadn't yet seen in light of the recent announcement.

Well, like Jeff said the other night when this was announced. This WAS their stance on the issue but then you know they saw a ton of other places just putting up hours and hours of raw footage of the game and kinda realized that as jeff put it "this moral high ground is gonna put me out of business"

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bear in mind, with the fall games beginning to release the schedule probably won't outpace someone buying at launch and playing at even a normal pace.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww Drew no don't pressure yourself like this take the time and enjoy this one at your pace.

Go onto Metal Gear Scanlon: Danc!d or something. Metal Gear Ryckert: Drewvengeance, anything but don't push yourself through this publicly and just enjoy stuff at your pace.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't really see the appeal of watching someone else play a game for you.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't really see the appeal of watching someone else play a game for you.

giant bomb dot com it's a website about videogames.

Kalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to watching this once I get a good way through the game. I don't expect them to start for a couple of weeks as they'll want to get back into a routine after Pax.

I wonder if Drew wanted to do this to make sure that he finished it since he says that he gets overwhelmed in open world games.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Some of the entertainment comes from their reactions, how they accomplish things differently to you, etc..

I cannot wait to play through this on Tuesday. Stupid Bank Holiday impeding my copy from coming early.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready for this.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan and Drew Hotseating.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole series is exactly the kind of stuff I enjoy seeing from Giantbomb. I'd love another one of these things with different staff members, where one of them has never played a game the other loves.

Thank the heavens they're doing a playthrough of V.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#136  Edited By Humanity

After having played a good two dozen hours of Phantom Pain this might totally not be Drews kind of Metal Gear.. or Dans for that matter. It really is Peacewalker on next gen and that's amazing but it will rub a lot of fans the wrong way.

Hope you like listening to tapes.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By probablytuna
    @humanity said:

After having played a good two dozen hours of Phantom Pain this might totally not be Drews kind of Metal Gear.. or Dans for that matter. It really is Peacewalker on next gen and that's amazing but it will rub a lot of fans the wrong way.

Hope you like listening to tapes.

I've been playing Peace Walker non-stop the past week to try to get to the end so I am fully on board with that idea. However, I'm giving up on the grind that leads to the true ending since I still want to replay Ground Zeroes before Tuesday, but man I am ready to rebuild my motherbase. Bring it on!

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got this game today, played and rescued Miller. God it looks so gooooood. And plays amazing. The intro sequence is batshit crazy.

So good to be finally playing a metal gear again (not counting ground zeroes)

Agent_of_HYDRA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I could use this series as a second play through.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I think Giant Bomb just saved me 60 dollars.

@jjor64 said:

Since this is actually happening, I think I will say screw it and just watch Drew play the game. Maybe I will get it at a later date.

This is the reason they felt it was uncool to stream brand new games in the first place. It's appears Konami doesn't give a shit though. The climate has changed. Even then, maybe it is still not cool to say lost sales are happening.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pimping OHN's 500+ hour MGS stream which will roll into Phantom Pain when it releases. They DO NOT allow spoilers so it's a safe place to hang out until release.

http://www.twitch.tv/uknighted

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#142  Edited By JJOR64

@mithhunter55: I was still kinda on the fence about it. I have other games to play and getting another one that is possibly 40+ hours probably wasn't smart. Watching Drew play it will still let me experience it while still being able to play other stuff in the mean time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@probablytuna: If you enjoyed Peacewalker then imagine if they transplanted that entire game into something like FarCry 3, and thats basically it. Also it looks just so damn good.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syndrom: I got the game yesterday and have played 14 hours so far, I'm at 7% completion...it's an incredible game!

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yeah, I'm actually a little bummed out by this news... Especially considering there are some reports of this game being around 100 hours long, I'd rather he played it on his own time and enjoyed it.

@mikerd said:

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Not sure whether this news is actually good or not.

EldrinStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l33t_haxor: This is why I love this site's community. We want the hosts to have as much fun as we do. Except Dan. I'm still unsure how he manages to squeeze enjoyment out of Mario Party.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh god I'm so excited!

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
    deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish he could just play it at his pace. Assuming Drew follows the main path, I don't really see him getting an opportunity to even try everything this game has to offer by letting us watch him.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited that they're doing it. Been wondering what I was gonna do when it came out and was probably just gonna find some random youtube let's player that wasn't too annoying and watch them play it. I love Metal Gear Solid now (only got into it because of Dan and Drew and played all the games ahead of them after 1). But I've been feeling lukewarm about V in comparison to, well, everyone else in the world. Or rather, I'm excited for it, but not really that excited to play it myself like previous games so I probably just won't.

Yeah, the gameplay is so much better yadda yadda. But I hate open world games at this point. Like actively hate them with a passion. And while the gameplay is definitely "better" based on my experience with Ground Zeroes, it also seems less unique in a way. More just standard open-world action game with some shit thrown in there from splinter cell because, hey, stealth. Also, it remains to be seen how much of the playtime will actually be cutscenes, but it seems like probably a lot less than previous games? So that turns me off as well. Also I hate Kiefer Sutherland's voice. Yeah I know, I'm a whiny asshole, but I can't help what I want. An open world metal gear with the dude from 24 just wasn't it, but I'm glad everyone else seems happy with the changes and I'm definitely going to enjoy the crap out of Drew playing it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#150  Edited By Undeadpool

For the first time in forever: I will have to WAIT on a Metal Gear: Scanlon feature.

Cause there's NO way I'm buying this day 1. But there's NO way I'm watching them first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.