Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGSV freezing on PC

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deox

Hey duders, I'm having some trouble running MGSV on my PC. The game will periodically freeze on me during gameplay. The image completely freezes but I can still hear the game sounds (gunfire, enemy radio, etc.). The only way to get out of it is to terminate the game in task manager. Sometimes I also get a crash to desktop during loading screens. I'm running it on an i7 3770k, 8gb ram and a gtx 980. I just got threw playing the new Witcher 3 DLC and had zero issues and before that I played threw the entirety of Dying Light with no problems so these crashes seem to be specific to MGSV. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any idea of what a possible fix could be?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

Do you have all the latest patches? I had only a few issues with the game crashing, but it turned out to be my cpu overclock was no longer stable. I haven't played the game in about a month so maybe one of the new patches is unstable? dunno, try google and see if any new issues are happening. Also make sure you have the latest game ready drivers.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd try recommending what the previous poster has said. Make sure you are running the latest patch along with making sure your drivers for your gfx card is up to date. One other thing I'd try recommending is playing the game in offline mode rather than online. While I don't have the greatest of rigs I've been able to quell periodic freezes like this on my end by playing offline.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Try switching between borderless windowed and full screen. For some reason one of those would always break the game for me (it's been a while since I had to worry about it so I can't remember which sorry!)

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By monetarydread

If it crashes you should open up the event viewer. Inside it will tell you exactly what caused the crash. I had a similar problem and it was because of conflicting .dll's.

Start -> control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> event viewer -> windows logs -> applications

There can be a lot of things in there that don't concern you. But if you do this immediately after a crash, you can find the log you are looking for by the time it occurred.

Edit - I don't suppose you have duet display installed moon your PC?

Avatar image for bankyedwards015
    BankyEdwards015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've been having the same exact problem. I'll play for a while, then out of nowhere the picture will freeze but the sound will continue. I have updated my drivers, played the game after restarting so that it is the only thing running. Not sure what else to try.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.