Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGSV is Free on PS+ This Month

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Go play it if you haven't, it's like a top 20 game all time and certainly the best stealth action gameplay ever. Maybe people will start playing MGO again? (Probably not, but it was a fun time while it lasted) Personally I'll probably play through the regular story again for funsies, skipping the non open world trash. As a side note MGSV is the most PUBGable game ever, come on Konami copy that shit like the soulless corporation you are, it'll be fun!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

A pubg style multiplayer would definitely be better than the stuff they had in the game. Multiplayer aside, the single player was definitely one of the best gaming experiences i had for a good while. I think the lack of new game plus kinda killed this games longevity though.

Anyway, i never played on console but this is definitely worth downloading if you have ps+

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't that good. Kojima really dropped the ball. MGS was better when he collaborated more with other writers (Tomokazu Fukushima) and when he was forced to make his games linear because of the limitations of the platform. Open world stealth is a daft idea. It's just more traveling to get to the good parts.

Prior to the release of MGSV, I said I might not play the game, despite being a fan of the series since 2004/2005. Although I enjoyed the game, it exemplifies much of what has displeased me over the direction the series has taken over the last ten years.

I liked the series more before it went by the tagline "Tactical Espionage Operations". I don't want to manage a base and do a bunch of filler missions with forgettable scenarios in needlessly spacious environments. There are so many empty valleys and twisting canyons that are a drag to travel through over and over. I did like some of the open battles, me sneakily flanking the tank patrols and surprising them. But so much time is just spent moving from point A to point B and waiting for the helicopter to land. I'm also sick of having upgrades in pretty much every game now, turning it all into a grind. I want to procure items and supplies on site, like in the old games, and survive in a hostile setting for a night (MGS1), a day (MGS2) or several days (MGS3), instead of being able to leave whenever it gets boring. I would have preferred one big base with surrounding wildlife and outposts in an open world MGS. The mission structure, the micromanagement and all that stuff just drags out the experience. There's no reason the upgrades should take so long to finish processing.

Tactical Espionage Operations < Tactical Espionage Action

The mechanics are worse than in MGS4, in my opinion. I don't like the automatic cover system, the way it alters the camera slightly and changes Snake's position with a slow animation every time you go near an object. Despite having so many weapons to choose from, it has less weapon customization than MGS4. It also has fewer CQC options. Why can't I equip a knife anymore? I need to be able to kill unconscious enemies when extracting them is not an option. You have to wake them up again or waste a bullet and possibly degrade your suppressor. In MGS3 and 4, you could just stab them while they were unconscious or perform a hard stab to instantly kill standing enemies. The gameplay of the series became less interesting as it transitioned more and more to a third-person shooter. Gunning down a whole base of soldiers is often easier than sneaking deep into dangerous areas, where they can surround you and do more damage when your stealth is blown. The tight, multi-level environments were more geared towards stealth than the open bases and valleys of MGSV. Soldiers are farther spread apart. One change I liked is being able to exchange any gun you see in the environment for the three you see on your person.

I also find the permanent blood on Snake annoying. All the blood is overdone. You kill an enemy or two and Snake is a bloody mess until it rains. (Or until you return to mother base, which takes a while.) You kill enemies continuously and the blood doesn't wash off anymore. Making him clean and pure again requires so much effort that I resorted to playing as other soldiers. Pacifism in games is illogical. You're a soldier. It's what you were trained for. It's survival.

The lack of bosses also hurts the game a lot.

Dropping the codec conversations and cutscenes in favor of audio logs has hurt the story. I don't think you need cutscenes or any dialogue to tell stories in games, but the thick narrative of MGS has always depended on them. Listening to tapes from the past isn't as interesting as engaging in the story and seeing those characters. I don't want to be doing that when I'm playing the game. It's like a movie with almost no footage. Snake's silence makes scenes awkward. The opening is too long, involving too much crawling and forced walking, and needing to be repeated later.

I dislike where they've taken the story over the years. They took the mysticism out of Big Boss's character and made The Boss less special by bringing her back in the form of a futuristic AI. It got more far-fetched and stupid as they released prequel after pointless prequel, featuring better and better tech (like futuristic drones, power suits, holograms and cybernetic arms, as well as telling us that Otacon's optic stealth camo existed forty years before he designed it), making connections between characters (like Otacon's father working for Big Boss, which, to be fair, isn't as silly as the explanations and relations made by MGS4) and invalidating the first Metal Gears by showing that there were several before, just as threatening and even more advanced, starting with the Shagohod and continuing into the '70s and '80s, long before Solid Snake learned about them. But at least the Shagohod was technologically inferior. Prequels in general blow. As the producer of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back said, prequels box in the story and make the writers back in to material they already covered. I would have preferred a sequel to MGS4, with a new character and new technology. MGS3 ended perfectly. There was no reason to continue Big Boss's story. Sequels would have been a better use of Kojima Productions' remaining time than prequels that retcon the fuck out of the series and make the old games less legitimate. But I know the prequels were inevitable, for Big Boss became a god to fans with MGS3.

So yeah, MGS4 should have had a sequel instead of another prequel. And Metal Gear Rising isn't that sequel. It's not an MGS game. Etsu Tamari had no prior writing credits, from what I can find. Hire someone with experience to write the sequel, MGS5. Cyborg Raiden is also a bad character, which is where more of the problems with Rising come from. A stealth sequel wouldn't be about him, since he's more of an action character now. I don't even remember the story of MGR. The MGS4 sequel could have been about a group exploiting the power vacuum created by the defeat of the Patriots. It's silly to think the world will remain at peace. Removing the Patriots and having no plan in place for afterwards would create chaos, especially with all those PMCs no longer being controlled and drugged. The sequel would have featured human as well as robotic opponents, similar to the ones in the Shadow Moses chapter of MGS4. MGS always had cool female characters. (Well, Quiet was bad.) I would have liked to play as one in a futuristic MGS5.

I still thought it was good in spite of all that, but it's not a game I can play over and over like the old ones. I may never replay MGSV and Peace Walker.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For all of its issues, some of which were admittedly severe (and I never did end up ashamed of my words and deeds), I loved MGS5. Think I'll take the resurgence in interest/discussion as an excuse to play through the story again, as I haven't since release.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's a game that was weirdly ahead of the times but also too constrained by outside factors to fully make good on it's ambitions. That said it's probably one of the best examples of open world stealth to date - if not the only example. Would have loved to see what that game would have been if not for the whole Konami kerfuffle.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

PS Plus has been great these past few months. Will download this for sure.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pezen

Probably the worst MGS to date from a story execution standpoint, but damn if it didn’t play amazingly well. Too bad the outside chaos ruined what could have been something quite amazing.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I can't believe MGSV got onto PS Plus before Knack...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Serves me right for buying a game without wanting to immediately play it. Ugh.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I never had an interest in these games...I've long felt that Kojima simply tries too hard, but I know that this game is also considered a masterpiece by some.

So yeah, I may never get to it, but I'll add it to my list just in case I do. And if I need to figure out what the fuck is going on, I hear that Video Games Dot Com has a pretty cool Let's Play of this series.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Heck of a game if you haven't played it! I wonder if people are still doing base invasions with any regularity. I really do want to go back and play it again, but I'd prefer to skip that first couple of hours.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Already had a pretty cool moment just with a few hours played today, D-Horse best buddy:

Loading Video...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's a mystery solved. Good horse.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought this and Ground Zeroes the day it dropped....before I even picked up my PS4....still haven't played either....I need to sometime.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@rorie: At least on the PC they seem to be extremely rare. This might be because (beside from lower active players since launch) FOB events offer better rewards with no risk.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By dagas

I saw a few episodes of Drew playing it and while the story seemed worse than the older games the gameplay looked fun. Looking forward to play it myself.

I have played all the games up until 4 but I only really loved the first two games. MGS1 was too 5 on PS1.

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shiftygism: I just finished the main mission of Ground Zeroes and was hooked.

Better late than never!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Serves me right for... wait a minute, this ain't the last week of August.

Ground Zeroes didn't do much for me sadly. The customization stuff in the main game looks more interesting (wolves with knives and such), but that doesn't matter much if I'm not finding the core gameplay very fun. I should give Ground Zeroes another shot and really try to lean into it. Think I rushed through the main mission the first time I played it, which is obviously no good way to see what a stealth game has to offer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.