Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGSV: Phantom Pain Speculation/Theories (SPOILERS INSIDE)

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For the people who have finished Ground Zeroes, and maybe some other MG games, keep reading, if you haven't, exit the thread.

_ _ _ _

Ok so, this is the official thread to speculate on MGSV:PP. Any theories you have? Anything you're expecting, what will Kojima do this time?

Personally, i've heard of many theories, i've heard the:

Gray Fox = Big Boss theory (Body double theory)

Ishmael = Solidus or Medic

Chico = Quiet

Here you can discuss such theories, or propose your own. Have fun!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

How on Earth do you equate Chico with Quiet?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@-cipher- said:

Chico = Quiet

This is my favourite conspiracy theory.

Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
    JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@hailinel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiiSqz57QKI

Its so crazy and out there Im starting to believe it lol

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

A random redditor decided to make a joke about the crazy speculation/theories surrounding MGS5 and came up with the most out-there, utterly insane explanation for it. The basic gist is that Chico was so traumatized by his experience at Camp Omega that he got a sex change so he couldn't rape anymore and that he cut out his own tongue so that he could never betray his compas again.

The important thing to note here is that this was a joke. The ironic thing is that there are people out there taking this seriously.

freedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By freedo

Not to be a dick or anything, but all of those theories are... kind of garbage.

I honestly have know idea what to expect form the story of this game, which is very exciting. While I love MGS4, the problem that game had was the obligation of answering every goddamn question the series had to offer. For better or worse, it did just that and that completely frees The Phantom Pain up to do anything, really.

The only theory I've heard that I actually hope happens is the whole, "The end of this game is a remake of Metal Gear 1." That would be fucking incredible. In fact, if it doesn't end that way or at least see that game from Big Boss's perspective, I might be supremely bummed. Unless, of course, the ending is uniformly great in some other way.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedo said:

The only theory I've heard that I actually hope happens is the whole, "The end of this game is a remake of Metal Gear 1." That would be fucking incredible. In fact, if it doesn't end that way or at least see that game from Big Boss's perspective, I might be supremely bummed. Unless, of course, the ending is uniformly great in some other way.

Kojima seems to be leaning rather hard into Moby Dick. I know that sounds obvious but the allusions are deafening. With what we know so far the stories seem to synch up perfectly, even down to the first words we hear in The Phantom Pain being "Call me Ishmael" which, if you don't know, is the first line of Moby Dick. Add to that the thematic allusions like how the pursuit of revenge can destroy a man's life, the obvious stuff like the loss of a limb (Ahab lost a leg to the whale while Big Boss loses an arm to Skull Face) and so on lends me to believe that, if anything, The Phantom Pain is going to be Moby Dick as interpreted by Metal Gear Solid.

I don't know about you, but to me that sounds fucking awesome.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By crithon

The chico is quite is an amusing theory, but then remember when everyone got all excited when we found out Ocelot was the son of the Sorrow but then only "Nanomachines, sons." Throwing that theory out the window.

Well, the big twist where Big Boss turns into a villain is bound to happen but again but we have been saying this for 10 years since MGS3. As much as everyone hopes Big Boss finally becomes the villain, he doesn't really turn until the 1995s, so that's probably 10 years after this game takes place where he's still working for the United States.

There needs to be a better explaination of the Les Enfant Terrible program, since everyone is quick to jump the gun on that's Liquid in the trailer. Where's Solidus, is he a good 10 years older? And how old is solidus? Does he have the same disease as Snake? The program was active behind Big Boss' back so that's another thing we might not see or understand.

My biggest theory...... we won't see this game till 2 years from now. BUM BUM BAAAAA!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By probablytuna

I have a feeling that Big Boss isn't going to turn out as this big bad villain you see him in Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2. I think Kojima is gonna retcon him into a misunderstood anti-hero who was trying to secretly establish Outer Heaven as a powerful force enough to finally challenge the Patriots whilst posing as an ally with Zero by taking command of Foxhound once again. Solid Snake is Zero's ace in the hole (Governance without borders) to take down Outer Heaven and Big Boss' plans (in Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2). Feeling betrayed once again, Zero imprisons him in a nano-machine induced coma.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Oh, it's a joke thread? Eh, well if any series deserves one of these it would be MGS.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Hideo Kojima stated that this game is about Snake's transformation into a villain, so this should be where the transformation takes place.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Grey Fox/Body Double theory, I highly doubt. It was a possibility, and whilst Kojima has been known as a previous - and possibly current - master troller, I doubt he would waste potential of a great story idea and chuck it away for troll's sake.

Ishmael, I find it highly suspicious that Kiefer voices both Punished Snake and Ishmael. That being said, he could be Solidus, could be the medic, could be both or could me none. The imaginary friend theory seems believable, as Kojima himself stated Snake would be suffering from hallucinations through out the span of the game.

Chico as Quiet, that makes me feel sick. I don't really want to believe it, but there's a slim possibility there. I mean, with the other theories (Body Double and Ishmael) there is obvious proof there (Ishmael, Medic, Snake being voiced by Kiefer), but the Chico-Quiet theory evidence is limited to Chico saying - in PW - 'I want to be a hunter.'

The Liquid/Eli theory seems interesting, and whilst I'm sure Kojima has some tricks up his sleeve, not all of these will be true, if any.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Ishmael is just a figment of Snake's imagination. He might just be hallucinating the whole thing. Not sure why they went with the same voice actor, but it might be to get people talking.

More curious on why Ocelot is helping Snake.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@-cipher-: Yes, I read that before. But considering how there will always be a patriots/philosophers/cipher there's always be a bigger bad guy for Big Boss to not see as bad as. And especially how MGS4 ended with Big Boss hugging it out proving "Oh, he's just been misunderstood" he will always fall into that Anti-Hero catagory. Just after the events of MGS5 he probably isn't going to geek out over Box conversations.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-cipher-:

Ocelot- A Rival Living A Lie

What does that even mean?

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@miko1222: It means Kojima wants to mess with us.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-cipher- said:

From what I gather, initially Ocelot helped Snake because he was ordered to (in Snake Eater) by the CIA, but after the events of MGS3, Snake earned his respect and he became an (mostly secret) ally of Big Boss ever since.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else think that Quiet could be Sniper Wolf?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@-cipher- said:

I believe Ishmael is just a figment of Snake's imagination. He might just be hallucinating the whole thing. Not sure why they went with the same voice actor, but it might be to get people talking.

Well, if you remember from MGS4, Ocelot (who was only pretending to have his mind taken over by Liquid through nanomachines and psychotherapy) was trying to destroy the Patriots. Big Boss also wants to destroy the Patriots (Cipher) because of what they did to him and MSF.

Obviously!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Anyway, the most important theory we should be discussing is the Dual Millers Theory. Basically, there's two Millers, Kazuhira, and McDonnel. All we've seen thus far is Kazuhira, and I'm waiting for McDonnel to show up.

Also, I'd like to say that I expect Solidus to show up at some point. In the greater fiction, he was leading up a fairly large CIA operation in that country where young Raiden was a child soldier (Liberia?) in the late 80s, and since this game is in 1984, I think he'll be making an appearance as a young CIA operative. Of course, they'd have to explain how he'd have grown to be old enough to do that in, what, 10 or 12 years?

Also, is Kiefer actually voicing Ishmael? I thought the whole Ishmael thing was just to throw people off the tracks when they announced the game. So they could admit Kiefer was working on the game, but without saying who he's actually voicing (Big Boss). I'm also not sold on him voicing Medic in Ground Zeroes, I think that was someone else.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Food for thought 7:47

Loading Video...

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, the most important theory we should be discussing is the Dual Millers Theory. Basically, there's two Millers, Kazuhira, and McDonnel. All we've seen thus far is Kazuhira, and I'm waiting for McDonnel to show up.

Also, I'd like to say that I expect Solidus to show up at some point. In the greater fiction, he was leading up a fairly large CIA operation in that country where young Raiden was a child soldier (Liberia?) in the late 80s, and since this game is in 1984, I think he'll be making an appearance as a young CIA operative. Of course, they'd have to explain how he'd have grown to be old enough to do that in, what, 10 or 12 years?

Solidus had his age accelerated (even further than Solid or Liquid) because Zero wanted an exact clone of Big Boss so it could explain how he's "older" than both Solid and Liquid (in teenage years by late 1980s).

I don't subscribe to the theory that there are two Millers. I think Kaz abandoned his Japanese heritage (and his namesake, 'Peace') when he took the path of vengeance in The Phantom Pain and then adopted the name McDonnell Benedict.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mrfluke: You mean the guy in the beret? Think that's meant to be Roy Campbell.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: It's Miller. I just think it's "evilish revenge" Miller, after he loses body parts.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FilipHolm

Reading all this reminded me how much I love the insanity that is the Metal Gear story arc.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@quarters said:

@yummylee: It's Miller. I just think it's "evilish revenge" Miller, after he loses body parts.

That guy's not (Kaz) Miller. The head is shaped differently.

Now, it MIGHT be McDonnel Miller, Kaz's long lost brother...

Oh, and @-cipher-, I think it's a little weird that your user name is CIPHER and your user icon is Big Boss.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@miko1222 said:

@-cipher-:

Ocelot- A Rival Living A Lie

What does that even mean?

It means Ocelot is a spy. He's actually a double agent in MGS3 - working for both the KGB as well as the CIA - and in MGS2, he's working for both Solidus and the Patriots. He's been a spy in every MGS game he's appeared in. He's also Big Boss's "rival" from MGS3. The relationship the two have is more akin to a friendly rivalry than a blood feud, which is both why Ocelot would choose to help Big Boss (a man he greatly respects and admires) instead of try to kill him.

"A rival living a lie" refers his double agent nature. MGS4 showed that, ultimately, Ocelot was on Big Boss's side, but I imagine MGS5 will play with his character's fluid loyalty a bit.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By musubi

@hailinel said:

A random redditor decided to make a joke about the crazy speculation/theories surrounding MGS5 and came up with the most out-there, utterly insane explanation for it. The basic gist is that Chico was so traumatized by his experience at Camp Omega that he got a sex change so he couldn't rape anymore and that he cut out his own tongue so that he could never betray his compas again.

The important thing to note here is that this was a joke. The ironic thing is that there are people out there taking this seriously.

God. That would be tremendously dumb in a way I would wholeheartedly embrace.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

That guy's not (Kaz) Miller. The head is shaped differently.

Now, it MIGHT be McDonnel Miller, Kaz's long lost brother...

Oh, and @-cipher-, I think it's a little weird that your user name is CIPHER and your user icon is Big Boss.

Haha, I like both characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.