Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGSV Release Date Possibly Leaked

• 83 results
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regularassmilk

This has been making the rounds today, but for those who don't know, the Microsoft Store and Rakuten are both indicating that the release date for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is on February 24th of next year. GameStop is reporting a March 31st release, and many other retailers (Amazon, FYE) are still TBA or placeholder dates.

Definitely big news for a game that has been slated merely for 2015 and a game many have considered might not even make that window. Take it with a grain of salt.

But hey man what if....then whoa! Wheeee!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I would be super surprised if it releases before summer.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though, I'd be ecstatic if this is actually true. I want me some more MGS and I want it fast. Ground Zeroes was an awesome little teaser.

I don't trust this though because that is so damn close

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I really doubt that a game of that size is coming out that soon without the date having been announced well before now. It's probably a mistake.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I highly doubt it. You don't announce a release date for a game this big less than 2 months before it comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e06565710cb9
    deactivated-5e06565710cb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to repost something I saw on another video game forum:

- VGAs 2012 phantom pain by 'moby dick studios' a Swedish company

- kojima having the Swedish words for the 22nd and the 6th on his t-shirt at the TGAs

- The 22nd chapter of Herman Melvilles 6th book 'Moby Dick' is called "Merry Christmas"

- perhaps rather than hinting a 22nd of June release date he is hinting that a release date could be given on Christmas Day.

New Kojima station on Christmas Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbskLUQZDM

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@target2:

Just saw this myself on another video game forum, and this is possibly the most coherent theory I've read in regards to the shirt and tying everything up. It is also worth noting that more stuff occurred beyond the MS store stuff. Some guy on reddit leaked an image of the video game store he works at, that shows a changed street release date on MGS5 to the Feb 24th. Additionally, the Steam page for TPP has had it's status changed to "Coming Soon". This all happened on the same day.

Guys, please calm me down, I'm getting too hyped, and the inevitable emotional crash will destroy me.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@target2 said:

- kojima having the Swedish words for the 22nd and the 6th on his t-shirt at the TGAs

- The 22nd chapter of Herman Melvilles 6th book 'Moby Dick' is called "Merry Christmas"

- perhaps rather than hinting a 22nd of June release date he is hinting that a release date could be given on Christmas Day.

New Kojima station on Christmas Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbskLUQZDM

Could Mozart be still alive?????

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quarters

I think I would literally crap myself out of a delirious high if it came out on Feb. 24th.

It will not come out on Feb. 24th.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@target2 said:

i was JUST about to say the Rumored June release date is more plausible, but goddammit. that theory makes too much sense.

also given the fact, that especially for a metal gear game, that game has had quite a bit of trailers released at this point, but mann, thats really close if its february

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Oldirtybearon

that's four days after my birthday.

I am okay with this news, except for the part where I'm screaming inside like a little girl at a One Direction concert.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another reason i'm glad The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne got delayed. If this turns out to be true of course. I dont see it being that far fetched considering Ground Zeroes was very polished and apparently the PC version of it is well optimized. We've also seen a fair amount of gameplay even if we havent had hours worth of cutscenes in numerous trailers like with prior MGS games.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@target2 said:

Of course! It all makes perfect sense!

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For what it's worth, I spoke to a Microsoft customer service guy named Mark through chat and just asked him. He said that they don't know either and the release date they had (02/24/2014) was just a "stand in" and a "guess."

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Oh man that would be the best birthday gift ever.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

I'm guessing November 2015, if only because these complex theories are rarely correct.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys do you really think one of the biggest releases of the console generation will only have a two month window for advertising?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A HIND D?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

There is ZERO way it comes out in Feb that just seems way way to soon. I could possibly believe the main game is done but the multiplayer is still actively in development so unless they are coming in super hot with that thing and shipping without multiplayer I dont think it ships in Feb. That would be crazy and amazing if I'm wrong but I just don't see that being the case. That being said Feb 24th is a very very specific date. Placeholder dates are usually the last or first day in a month.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda wondering more about the release date for the pc version. After seeing how Ground Zeroes runs on the pc myself I'm tempted to probably grab the pc version of this one when it comes out.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

WOW! I was expecting April or June.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no way its true.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

Guys do you really think one of the biggest releases of the console generation will only have a two month window for advertising?

I don't get why people say this. This isn't some unknown title that needs a ton of advertising. Not to mention it has been getting articles, press coverage, and covered at cons for the last two years. I guess none of that counts as advertising though? I am also pretty sure the re release of ground zeroes as a front page sale on the first day of the steam winter sale probably reminded plenty of people about MGSV too.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people dismissing this date based on it not being enough time for advertising is a mistake, this isn't ubisoft or ea or even 2k for that matter. They aren't going to pour as much money in ads as we are used to, they don't have to, and they know it. Wishful thinking perhaps

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they said it's coming out around June/July of next year I could believe it, but no way in hell would it come out in two months.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Devil240Z

I mean its been how long since MGS4? maybe they've been done for awhile and have been waiting for VO and the MGO team to finish their work.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I desperately need more time to play these games. I just finished Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, and Metal Gear Solid. I still have 2, 3, 4, Revengeance, and Peacewalker to get through!

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

February 24th is my birthday. Please, Kojima. For me.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By monetarydread

ITT: People who are trying to apply logic to something that Hideo Kojima is working on.

Seriously, Hideo Kojima is exactly the type of person who would try releasing a game with only two months notice.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Placeholders wee.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also have this theory that kiefer sutherland is playing a different character than snake and its all some kind of raiden trick.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God it would be awesome if it was that early, I got really pumped for it playing ground zeroes this week.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this were true which I don't really think it is, I'd be stoked that this may mean that we'd be getting Metal Gear Scanlon 3 and 4 by February.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh dear, I'm not ready for this! This means that about three days after my paycheck comes in, I can actually buy a PS4 with MGS:V as my first game? There is also Bloodborne right, in the same week? This can't be happening...

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Never. It's not going to happen.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I assumed it wasn't dropping until late 2015. If it came out this early I would be pretty fucking happy.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Honestly? Seems way too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced for Fall 2015 and then was delayed into 2016. That's alright, I can wait.

Besides, Metal Gear Scanlon is going to need that extra time to go through the next ~7 MGS games.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say this is not true and more speculation from fans outside of the company. Remember all that nonsense about the dude decoding those transmissions about the next fallout earlier this year??

Although I can totally see Kojima on Feb 17, 2015 being like "hey MGSV is out in 7 days!" drops the mic and the world erupts in awesome chaos.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@jay_ray said:

I don't get why people say this. This isn't some unknown title that needs a ton of advertising. Not to mention it has been getting articles, press coverage, and covered at cons for the last two years. I guess none of that counts as advertising though? I am also pretty sure the re release of ground zeroes as a front page sale on the first day of the steam winter sale probably reminded plenty of people about MGSV too.

You are talking about the hardest of the hardcore, that may at most make up about 20% of MGSV sales. The massive amount of people that need traditional advertising to make sure a game of this scale sells well enough to turn a profit needs a much bigger time frame then two months.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@jay_ray said:

@karkarov said:

@jay_ray said:

You are talking about the hardest of the hardcore, that may at most make up about 20% of MGSV sales. The massive amount of people that need traditional advertising to make sure a game of this scale sells well enough to turn a profit needs a much bigger time frame then two months.

You're talking about Konami. This is totally something they would do.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The March 31st date from Gamestop is almost certainly just a placeholder as it is end of a quarter and happens to also be a Tuesday. The Feb 24 date is more interesting. I could totally see Konami releasing it then if it is finished, the franchise is massive at this point and a semi-stealth release shouldn't hurt initial sales that much. MGS is very much a "gamer's game", they will certainly draw in some buyers through traditional marketing but I don't think the main gaming public who need advertising to know about say the new GTA game will be the main audience for this game. They wouldn't do a full on stealth release but if it is indeed Feb 24 I could see them announcing the release date late Jan or early Feb. The week before and after the 24th only have one real potential rival in The Order but even then it is a PS exclusive, meaning the Xbone and PC market are sitting pretty at that point. With Bloodborne and Witcher 3 being delayed I wonder if that made end of February more appealing to launch in?

I do still doubt it is true just because I don't think it is in a state where it is finished right now, as it would have to be really close with only 2 months remaining until release. I am still guessing either Summer 2015 or Late January 2016.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd almost bet the house that isn't the date. No fucking way. I mean if it is that's cool I guess, but I just don't see it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Hunter5024

@demoskinos said:

That being said Feb 24th is a very very specific date. Placeholder dates are usually the last or first day in a month.

I can't imagine this game coming out in February, but that's a really good point.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm putting my money still on a June release date.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If I'm only a few months away from MGS V AND Bloodborne?! Imma lost my shit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By Humanity

@demoskinos said:

That being said Feb 24th is a very very specific date. Placeholder dates are usually the last or first day in a month.

I can't imagine this game coming out in February, but that's a really good point.

I don't know, it has been in development for a while. Apart from it being a weird time of the year to release a huge game I can see Phantom Pain being complete. Then again the amount of detail and polish that go into a single Metal Gear game is enough to create two regular games of the current generation.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#49  Edited By Cirdain
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impossible is nothing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.