Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Microtransactions, details coming in

• 139 results
    Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Nothing up yetfor DLC on steam...

No Caption Provided

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By emfromthesea

Yeah hopefully the impact on the game is minimal. If it's mostly in this mode I can do without.

Been playing for about 50 hours at this point. Never really felt like I'm in need of resources or anything. Unless someone was desperate to unlock all items/weapons without playing the game for a significant amount of time, I can't see a scenario where you would want to buy these micro-transactions.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#53 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Maybe it's my cynicism talking, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "best value" didn't give you enough MB coins to buy all the other FOBs.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@zurv: Some games handle in-game purchases like these coins in strange ways. Such as, they may not be available to buy separately directly from Steam, but there will be a menu within the game that takes you to some kind of storefront where you can then use your Steam wallet to pay for whatever it is they're trying to sell you.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sgtsphynx: Well hey, guess what? It totally doesn't. Judging by the screenshot (there is room to scroll down in it, which would imply it's not showing all bases) it would actually cost around 140 dollars to open all the bases. That's right folks, for the low low price of just double the price of the actual game, you too can have access to all these wonderful bases!

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Mike said:

Yeah, this is gross. No reason for it whatsoever.

Nah man, they have a great reason. They know hundreds of thousands of people will buy into this, exponentially increasing the revenue of this game.

Funkofages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what happens when you let Michael Transactions network with Fredo Play.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BrotherBran

No one has even played the FOB stuff yet, we dont know at all how it works yet, or what benefits you get from it. Either way its not like you cant play the FOB at all without this it just makes it go faster

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man this sucks.

Now everybody say it with me

"FUCK. KONAMI."

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you need more than one FOB? I have no steam friends so i don't really care but i hope the upgrade thing is ridiculous like Warframe. Waiting 3 days to build something that took weeks to get the pieces for is annoying even in an actual free to play game.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Come on playstation store! Tell me which one is the best value! Geez!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was free you'd play it for a month then forget about it. There's a handful of people that give a toss about that mode so Konami might grab some green off them.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Painkiller80

Well what I am getting from this is that I am not going to spend a minute playing the online crap just like MGS4, that was a steaming pile of dog crap too.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

:(

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By bceagles128

Why can't we just play the game and see whether it's good before we rip into it based on some statements that were taken out of context, without having ever touched it ourselves?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

@bceagles128: Cause we all gotta take a stand! No middle ground, and definitely no waiting to play it first. Microtransactions are the worst! Are you with me!?

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wonder if each FOB (no matter how you get it money or through in game play) is a different PvP base. i mean if i were to spend the extra money to unlock all extra FOB's does that mean i would have multiple bases for other users to attack or would i just have one that was much bigger?

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@broqz: You're right! Hold on, let me go find my pitchfork!

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BladedEdge

Ok I just got up and this is all hitting me as new news.

Let me see if I can get the jist of it. There is some form of in-game currency, with no way to earn it but giving them more money on top of my 60$, which unlocks..

Multiplayer..or some form of it akine to "I get to pay to have my base raided by people with more time..and who have spent money/more money then me.

So basiclly I should never even buy/activate/turn in my FOB..whatever that ends up being in game, at all? Like, if its "Well you have one but uh, this dude with 2 completely wrecked you, better buy 40$ to get a second...but there are two more after that so...

Ok, maybe that's wrong but my opinion on this is two fold. First 'screw you for trying to shove multiplayer into my single-player MGS just to get more money out of me'. And then "ok maybe I don't have to use this, cause early review copies and etc didn't have it and beat it/gave it 10/10s just fine..and then "Well its Konami, I consider them to be no better then the mob when it comes to caring about their employees, let alone the consumers they sell too. So um..not surprised for this scummy, and utterly crap idea.

And then um. Hey guys guess what. If all you can do is buy these FOBs with the coins..um..no. Why not just sell them as stand alone bits? I would not be shocked, in the slightest, if the metal gear online..whatever that's going to be, features the system heavily. ANd if they hare happy to lock 3/4th (or even 50%) of the potential progression behind "You have to pay us, no other way to earn it". Please enjoy your P2W proper MGS multiplayer.

Ugh..this is just like. If i could write up a "Hey guys guess what, Konami is so scummy they have done X y and z to MGS5, their last ever 'gamers are actually gonna give 2 shits about what you put out" game. I couldn't have come up with a better evil scheme. Hopefully I'm wrong about this stuff being a massive part of this "proper" MGS multiplayer stuff people are defending this FOB stuff with but..its Konami, so I doubt it.

What an absolute and complete joke.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Shindig

Yeah, fuck them trying to recoup the largest budget they've spent on a project.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: Ok. I'm back.

Hell no, we won't go!

Hell no, we won't go!

Hell no, we won't go!

Hell no, we won't go!...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I read somewhere that there is a daily MB coin login bonus. (but no reliable source on this so its probably false)

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By atomicoldman

Wait I'm confused, do you pay for additional separate bases, or quadrants?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read somewhere that there is a daily MB coin login bonus. (but no reliable source on this so its probably false)

That's how it's handled in Pro Evolution Soccer. So you can get by without spending money on modes provided you're playing on a daily basis.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait I'm confused, do you pay for additional separate bases, or quadrants?

There is Mother Base your main base for single player and the SEPARATE FOBs which are used for invading/defending PVP. You can get 1 FOB for free and up to 4 total with MB coins.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By atomicoldman

@devil240z: Yes I know, but I mean by buying additional stuff with real money, am I expanding how large the FOB is or building totally different ones allowing for a variety of bases that can be managed and invaded. If that's the case I'm not as bothered by it, but if expanding the FOB the game hands to me requires dumping real money then fuuuuck that. It sounds to me like the latter, but considering how vague they've been about this whole thing I'm not 100% certain.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:
    @devil240z said:

That's how it's handled in Pro Evolution Soccer. So you can get by without spending money on modes provided you're playing on a daily basis.

Hmm well that gives it a little more plausibility.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: Yes I know, but I mean by buying additional stuff with real money, am I expanding how large the FOB is or building totally different ones allowing for a variety of bases that can be managed and invaded. If that's the case I'm not as bothered by it, but if expanding the FOB the game hands to me requires dumping real money then fuuuuck that.

The FOB you get for free can be freely developed without MB coins. I think you can accelerate stuff in typical F2P fashion but MB coins are only required to unlock your 2nd/3rd/4th FOB.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bceagles128: Waiting until you have all the information before passing judgment? Don't be ridiculous.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: Ah ok. Thank you for that, I was all worried that advancing that first base was going to need ~coins~.

Still hoping there's some daily login bonus thing.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#84  Edited By mike

@devil240z said:

The FOB you get for free can be freely developed without MB coins...

You mean the FOB we are paying $60 for as part of the game? Or an additional one that is free?

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Yeah, fuck them trying to recoup the largest budget they've spent on a project.

Last time I checked, this is not free-to-play game and it's sold for full price.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Devil240Z

@Mike said:
    @devil240z said:

The FOB you get for free can be freely developed without MB coins...

You mean the FOB we are paying $60 for as part of the game? Or an additional one that is free?

The way I have heard it is for free with the game and no MB coin investment you get Mother Base +1 FOB. This is just based off stuff I have heard from Peeler in the Greg Miller LPs and a YongYea video I just watched. I feel like I was pretty clear in my last post...

I will add though that I believe PS+/Gold are required for any FOB stuff to be accessible. [Source MGSV digital manual]

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi: which means a flat $60 isn't enough. They're not doing anything Activision or EA wouldn't do. Its just within the confines of a series that has never gone that route before.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about the FOB stuff. Can someone explain to me why you wou need more than one?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about the FOB stuff. Can someone explain to me why you wou need more than one?

More staff. More resources. More stuff. I'm looking at additional FOBs in the same way as a coin doubler in F2P games. I could be way off base on my assumptions but thats how it all seems to me.

FDL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: Well, it's more of a risk/reward thing. You have a lot of FOBs, then you increase the rate of resource acquisition, which allows you to develop Mother Base and equipment more quickly. But with a lot of FOBs, you increase the likelihood of being invaded and having those resources stolen.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: When it comes to these companies, it is never enough. These games are recouping development costs just from pre-oders alone.

Ithryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what happens when you let Michael Transactions network with Fredo Play.

Why did this make me laugh so much.

And yeah, bummer about the pay walls.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Behold, Konami after Kojima. They have to make up for some money lost from the pachinko business somehow.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as one FOB can be used and developed without spending any additional money, then they can do whatever they want with the rest of them. I just want to invade people and steal their goats. As long as I don't need to plunk down extra cash to unlock the multiplayer in any form, then I'm fine with it.

Not happy, but fine. This is probably the last Konami branded game I'm going to pick up anyway, so they're only screwing themselves.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi said:

@shindig: When it comes to these companies, it is never enough. These games are recouping development costs just from pre-oders alone.

I see this attitude a lot and its just flat out wrong. Imagine if you will konami had 100 employees working on the game, all making $80,000 a year, which is low, both in number of employees and their yearly salary but just for the sake of easy math and since they likely dropped contractors after MGS4 but then ramped back up slowly, thats $8,000,000 a year just for the humans, not counting the office space, not counting equipment, and various other expenses. So we can make a safe median of $8mill a year to run kojima studios and MGS4 released in 2008 so thats 7 years operating coming to a total of $56 million just to run the studio, like i said we arent taking marketing or other huge expenses into account.

When you factor in marketing and things like that you begin to see why the pachinko machines are so appealing, at least in japan where they tend to release games much more slowly. If they are on track to sell a million units day one which may be a little high, then yes they would break even...but only on the labor, they have invested much more into the game and studio than paying the employees.

Then again Destiny made $500 million on day one according to activison so what do i know.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does this stop me from enjoying the single player? also appreantly you get the coins from playing the game?

if not let someone who wants to buy it buy it. I mean 80 bucks is crazy but who cares if you will never see it anyway?

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: i'm not saying i want to grab a pitchfork, i'm just wondering about the size and scope of the PvP bases. i hope that regardless of real money spent or not spent there is still room for a wide variety of bases to attack. if the only way to make a bigger base is with real money that would be weak. if all it does is act like a time booster to allow you to get items in the single player quicker then i'm not that worried about it yet. we'll see tomorrow i guess.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

Not happy, but fine. This is probably the last Konami branded game I'm going to pick up anyway, so they're only screwing themselves.

This is probably the last Konami branded game.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SSully

Why can't we just play the game and see whether it's good before we rip into it based on some statements that were taken out of context, without having ever touched it ourselves?

People hate any kind of micro transactions or DLC, especially when it is announced before the game comes out. See Evolve, a game that had a detailed and completely reasonable DLC plan laid out before launch and was subsequently torn to shreds for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.