Ramifications of Mission 45 Discussion (MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

So let's talk about the ramifications of completing mission 45. WHAT THE FUCK?! I understand from a story perspective why Quiet would no longer be a presence, but from a gameplay perspective it is INSANE! My Quiet was an integral part of how I played. She was awesome. I even had the Sniper Wolf costume from completing Extreme 40. Now she is gone. I can no longer take her into missions. This just seems crazy to me with how you can invest in R&Ding gear for her and unlocking super cool stuff for her only to have her be completely removed from your game. How do you guys feel about this?

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought it was crazy, too. I have to imagine there's a way to make her available again... at least I hope there is.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup it sucks. But ultimately a pretty cool way to close out her story. You're basically at the real last mission so there's that I guess.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@voxus: What really sucks is that you no longer have this super effective tool in the game. Her ability to snipe and provide cover during some of the Extreme fights made her instrumental. I can see the act of getting S-Ranks to become far more difficult now that she is no longer an option.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm not even reading this - I scrolled down with my eyes closed - but is the thread title itself here spoiler-ish? If someone could PM me their opinion it would be appreciated, without spoilers though obviously. If it's fine then it can just be left alone.

Thanks

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Since last night, I received a number of PMs stating that they believed the thread title was a bit spoilery in itself, or at least hinted at something it didn't need to. That word has been removed,

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By samuelrgreen

Exact same feelings with me about this. I used quiet for the majority of the game to help with missions but now not having access to her kind of sucks. Her last cutscenes were pretty awesome but not having the ability to use her and when I've invested so much time and resource into her seems kind of garbage.

Likely only about 5% of people playing this game will even get this far so I doubt much of a fuss will be made for anyone to patch this back in.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's bold that they were willing to do that. Personally, I like it. The sense of loss of a meaningful character wouldnt have hit as much if you could still use her in gameplay. I got legit sad, because I had some amazing moments with that character. Glad they had the balls to do it. Yet, I'd also be happier if they didn't.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Honestly, Mission 45 and the consequence of it's completion have literally been effecting me since my completion of it a few days ago. I absolutely adored the character of Quiet, and the way that she was developed through MY interactions with her on the battlefield. She was truly my battle buddy, and my go-to partner. Seeing her go hurt so much, and I wish it didn't happen. It would be nice to have some way to get her back, but I suppose that maybe the game is better for having her leave you. I've probably never loved a character who said only a few simple lines so much in a game, and I sure miss my battle buddy out there in the field. The final scene had me on the verge of tears, as I knew the ramifications of what she was doing. After not using heli entry music the entire game, I installed a speaker on my helicopter and now use Quiet's theme to enter each mission as a tribute to what is hands down my favorite character in this game. Stefanie Joosten (the face and voice of Quiet) did a fantastic job on the vocals for that track by the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Absolutely. One of the most meaningful characters I've played alongside with in a game. She literally completed a boss fight with several baddies for me once. Took out all of 'em.

Avatar image for thefantasticfillip
TheFantasticFillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can keep her if you put a butterfly on your emblem. However, that also means that you never get the option to play the mission where she leaves, which is a pretty good and emotional one.

Trade offs.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That whole final mission was a whirlwind. The cutscene where she fucking annihilates those soviet soldiers is probably my favorite action scene in all of Metal Gear, and her finally resigning to speak English is one of the most emotionally resonant cutscenes in the series as well. So well done. Might be my favorite two cutscenes in the game.

Which only slightly lessens the impact of them fucking taking her away, haha. At that point in the game, D-Dog had become my main buddy, but I still liked using Quiet especially for the Skulls missions. Major bummer now that I'll be going for S-Ranks and total task completion. I really really really liked the character they made her into, both from a story and gameplay perspective. :(

mrtaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bushpusherr: "I really really really liked the character they made her into, both from a story and gameplay perspective. :("

And that is why the absence of her is so impactful on you. not only did they take her away story wise but also gameplay. I think she was the best buddy sucks that i cant use her but i respect it from a story plot. if i could use her after that mission i would just be like........ok? lol

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtaste said:

@bushpusherr: "I really really really liked the character they made her into, both from a story and gameplay perspective. :("

And that is why the absence of her is so impactful on you. not only did they take her away story wise but also gameplay. I think she was the best buddy sucks that i cant use her but i respect it from a story plot. if i could use her after that mission i would just be like........ok? lol

Oh totally. I think I might actually like D-Dog better as a buddy, but losing Quiet absolutely had a big impact on me. I think there is still a logical "out" if they wanted to allow you to continue using her to replay previous missions, since you are essentially replaying previous events. That illusion breaks when you finish a mission by land though and get dumped back in the world, so I get it.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Blackout62

I got amicably attached to frustrated mute sniper in a bikini and then felt terrible when she probably died. And now I'm reminded of a quote from The Little Prince:

"One only understands the things that one tames," said the fox. "Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me . . ."

"What must I do, to tame you?" asked the little prince.

"You must be very patient," replied the fox. "First you will sit down at a little distance from me--like that--in the grass. I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings. But you will sit a little closer to me, every day . . ."

Bear in mind that in this case taming refers to a growing familiarity and joy in another's presence. Taming Quiet in the traditional definition would be bad. Which pisses me off because the game tries to make Snake and Quiet's relationship romantic and I will not amuse that proposition as since she's voiceless the game would need more grace than it has to convey such a relationship. In practice, like her sexualization, it seems like the game is forcing a romantic relationship on Quiet because she isn't able to express otherwise. Or maybe it's because I don't like the cheap romance in stories and I think that's what a romantic interpretation of the Quiet/Boss relationship is. And on top of that the oversexualization is just shamefully tasteless because her character is pretty cool.

You didn't need to die Quiet. We had no idea if Venom Snake had been previously bitten by a snake. His immune system could have not developed the allergy like reactions to snake venom that come with a first bite and he could have been able to recover without an anti-venom to counter those reactions. Why didn't you study toxicology Quiet!

xsnakelamx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped playing the game after this mission. Not because the story ended, but because I can no longer bring myself to finsh all the remaining mission with her absence.

The experience of the game will change, entirely. Throughout the game I am always being tactical and thinks through which buddy would suit best for the mission, and it was usually between DD or Quiet. It was a huge part of the experience which makes the gameplay so awesome. Now I can no longer have the same experience now Quiet is gone, the struggle of deciding which one to pick is gone, for good.
It's not like previous Metal Gear games that I can just start a new game and experience the game the same way again, or load an older save to go back to an earlier stage. She is freakin' GONE FOR GOOD. The start screen doesn't even give me the option to start a new game. So unless I create a new PSN account or erase I save file, the gameplay experience is ruined for me.

Now I am just going to stop playing until the game is patched or I have time to restart the entire game, which is hard. I played for almost 70 hours to get to this mission. I am at 54% completion.

Konami if you're reading this, even if you don't bring back Quiet in the story, please let us keep her for the missions, because she is a vital part of the gameplay system. Thanks

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maaaaaaaan, one thing I just noticed, they even take down her pictures from inside your helicopter. Jesus christ. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but is that trying to give us an indication about how Snake feels about her departure?

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsnakelamx: I have the exactsame feelings with this also. Don't think I can play the game anymore as I still have another 45% to complete and some of the more difficult missions would be a breeze if she was still available. Time to start The Witcher I guess...

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xsnakelamx: I have the exactsame feelings with this also. Don't think I can play the game anymore as I still have another 45% to complete and some of the more difficult missions would be a breeze if she was still available. Time to start The Witcher I guess...

Or you could just adapt and not use Quiet "the easy setting" buddy.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quiet ended being a WAY better character than I expected. Really enjoyed her arc throughout the game, and every scene she was in was a standout. Also thought the relationship between her and Snake was surprisingly effective.

Avatar image for ddi_kazal_st_drebin
DDI_Kazal_St_Drebin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminded me of Aries

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i hadn't even unlocked mission 45 when i fully finished the game.

was actually surprised when i saw this thread and relaunched just to check that i indeed haven't unlocked it yet even tho i got the full ending and all.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quiet's "arc" was completely ineffective in my eyes, mainly because it was so full of plot holes. If her main motivator was revenge at the beginning, why put on the quiet act at all? why not just curse at BB in English when he first captures her and peace out? Then, after she makes her decision to stay silent, why doesn't she just get the Wolbachia treatment? Code Talker says something about her refusing it because there was still some part of her that wanted revenge, but that's the flimsiest excuse ever, considering what she does for Big Boss in the VERY NEXT SCENE. And none of this even addresses why she didn't just communicate using alternate methods. Why didn't she just write shit down?

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BREAKING NEWS DUDERS

You can mod her back in on the PC version, it's a simple text file fix. Go check out the reddit for the details, I won't link it here. No one has reported any negative ramifications for the edit.

MY BATTLE BUDDY RETURNS

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sasnake

Supposedly, there are two ways to stop Quiet from leaving your side:

• Lower your bond level – if your bond level isn’t at 100%, she won’t leave. However, this is hard to maintain, and locks out certain abilities of hers.
  • Put the Butterfly (front) design on your emblem before you finish Mission 41 – this is the option you should go for.
BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@baracudadk2: Same. I had just finished the actual last mission, saw the ending, was quite content with how it ended, then episode 45 happened. It was a frustrating mission that starts without warning, doesn't let you OUT to prepare, ends with "hope you weren't planning on using Quiet to S-rank anything else, motherfucker!"

It's SUCH a shame that such a great experience all the way up until the very end is going to have THAT cheap bullshit bad aftertaste as how I remember it.

It's still probably GotY for me, and rationally (because this 1 thing isn't the BIGGEST deal in the world) should still be one of my favorite games of all time. But they say that everything gets colored by the first and the last impressions, and I hate that this is how MGS5 ended for me.

I know I'm blowing this way out of proportion, but it's late and I'm tired and this REALLY bummed me out.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah this happened and it was kind of emotional. It just means I'm not gonna platinum this game any time soon, maybe in another play through in a couple years. Oh well.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mirado

If you own the PC version, you can mod her back in with very little effort. I did it, it took like two minutes, and I've played for 10 hours with no issues.

Frankly, the idea that you'd lose a key gameplay character with no warning is bullshit. I get that it cheapens what happens in that episode, but I've got S-Ranks to earn, and I need my sniping buddy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.