Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Review Scores Rolling In (No spoilers please)

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Teddie

I guess I'd be bummed about the story stuff if I hadn't been screwing around in GZ lately. That is one fun-ass video game, and the part where you can replay missions and go all Dan Ryckert on the base without having to worry about it ruining your perfect run is pretty great. Takes all the pressure off going for no alert/no kill runs my first time through.

I mean, it's still a shame about the story stuff but even if it's not the best Metal Gear game, it sure seems like this is just going to be a fantastic video game either way.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Danzig

@kishinfoulux said:
    @fluttercry said:

People keep talking about the lack of story, but seems that it's all just in the tapes. I don't mind listening to the tapes. I did it for Peace Walker and Peace Walker was fucking rad.

Because that's lazy story telling.

Lol what? Sounds like lazy player to me. They're not asking you to read through a codex, or go on the official Metal Gear website to learn more. It's in the game at your fingertips to listen to at almost any time you want. "Waaaaaaah it's not exactly what I wanted, therefore it's bad. I know this because I haven't even played the game myself. The game which is not even out"

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

@ravelle said:
    @tearhead said:
    @random45 said:

Who didn't see this coming? GOTY is going to be really hard between this and The Witcher 3.

What an excellent year for gaming.

Yep! And it aint over yet. We still got Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 to look forward to.

Don't forget Persona 5 and XCOM.

Oh yeah! Tomb Raider as well!

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By wildpomme

@danzig: Sorry we have preferences on audio diaries and know what to expect based on Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and these reviews.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Danzig

@razzuel said:

@danzig: Sorry we have preferences on audio diaries and know what to expect based on Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and these reviews.

Preferences are fine but to call it lazy is, in fact, lazy. Especially when you haven't even experienced it for yourself.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@bollard said:
    @efesell said:
    @theblue said:

Yeah, it makes me wonder about the reviewers that have qualms about the story. Is a lot hidden in those tapes, and did some reviewers not bother listening to some? In the case of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes, almost the entirety of Paz's character is contained within those Diary tapes.

I mean.. even if that's the case and there's a ton of plot to be found there that's kind of a bummer. It's a very boring way to present a story.

Yeah, the tapes in GZ are actually really annoying. I have to manually go into my menu, fish out the one I want to listen to, and if Kaz or someone decides now is a great time to give me mission critical info while I'm listening to a tape they're drowned out and there's no way to ask him to repeat what he just said. So I can't ever go in and hit "Play All" on all of Paz's tapes because if I do I will definitely miss some actual VO from in game. Plus it makes it extremely hard to listen for guards and vehicles walking up on you.

It's a terrible system.

You can listen to the tapes in the chopper though, on the main menu.

@bollard: I mean nothing Kaz is saying is usually "mission critical" in Ground Zeros. Also TPP has a lot more driving around and getting from place to place than GZ, so I'm sure that's plenty of time to listen to tapes and not have guards sneaking up on you. Also you can listen to them from the main menu as well.

I don't see how "you can listen to them on the menu" is supposed to make them more acceptable. I don't have the time or want to leave my game idling on the main menu so I can listen to some audio logs. I want the story presented to me as I play the game.

thom_hill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only thing any of you should be complaining about is that it's not out for a week

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda Funny Games tries way, way too hard.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So I read somewhere that these reviews are based on a special 'press code' of the game. That for instance the opening scene was not present there and it jumped directly to the core gameplay (open world).

If that's true then how much more could there be 'hidden' in the actual retail game?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#164  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    @dussck said:

So I read somewhere that these reviews are based on a special 'press code' of the game. That for instance the opening scene was not present there and it jumped directly to the core gameplay (open world).

If that's true then how much more could there be 'hidden' in the actual retail game?

Not sure where you saw that but that'd be great.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I had moments of zen revisiting Ground Zeroes in the last few days gameplay wise. I enjoyed it on my first play through but only this time playing it did it really click. Pulling off moves like setting off C4 in a different area of the base as a distraction to lure guards away from an area you're trying to sneak into. This game is going to be great from a game play perspective. I love the sound of all the systems like towers for communication. The AI will be fun to play with.

I have high hopes for the story. It sounds like the game is paced differently with much more exposition on tapes vs codecs or a cutscene. I know I will be listening to the tapes while in game a lot doing side ops or whatever and I really like that change in approach. I loved the codec at the time but nowadays I don't need to be sitting on that screen anymore.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By SomeJerk

Extra buzz cut&pasted from the review thread on neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176370690&postcount=2601

French reviewer states that he'd been disappointed in storybits too if had he rushed, and not done the necessary work to get the true ending, which was so good I'm linking to his description of it rather than posting it in text here as to not spoil (holysh I NEED TO GET IT) Reviewer also states that you need to listen to the tapes to get the story, I count on story-relevant tapes being in sensible places and not "climb this random tower in the middle of nowhere".

How many reviews of PW got as far as to the Paz ending? How many got to the Monster Hunter ending? How many got to That One Phonecall tape? I don't want to discredit ratings nor reviewers, rather the 2+4 day total time they had to play (preview event > saves carry on > into review event)

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@danzig said:
    @kishinfoulux said:
    @fluttercry said:

People keep talking about the lack of story, but seems that it's all just in the tapes. I don't mind listening to the tapes. I did it for Peace Walker and Peace Walker was fucking rad.

Lol what? Sounds like lazy player to me. They're not asking you to read through a codex, or go on the official Metal Gear website to learn more. It's in the game at your fingertips to listen to at almost any time you want. "Waaaaaaah it's not exactly what I wanted, therefore it's bad. I know this because I haven't even played the game myself. The game which is not even out"

Just because its there doesn't make it a good way to present the story. If I can miss key elements of your story because I didn't collect or listen to something that is optional then you've done something wrong in the story you are trying to tell.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Teddie

@dussck said:

I ran through the idea of keeping things hidden when I first read all the reviews mentioning the lack of story stuff but dismissed it when I remembered all the shit that went down behind the scenes.

How much control would Kojima even have over keeping stuff hidden at this point? Konami doesn't seem like a company that would do anything cool or creative like that on their own, either (especially when you look at that by-the-books/generic trailer they put out for the game a little while back).

I had moments of zen revisiting Ground Zeroes in the last few days gameplay wise. I enjoyed it on my first play through but only this time playing it did it really click.

Exact thing happened to me. It was a very reassuring thing.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I had moments of zen revisiting Ground Zeroes in the last few days gameplay wise. I enjoyed it on my first play through but only this time playing it did it really click. Pulling off moves like setting off C4 explosives as a distraction to lure guards away from an area you're trying to sneak into. This game is going to be great from a game play perspective. I love the sound of all the systems like towers for communication. The AI will be fun to play with.

I have high hopes for the story. It sounds like the game is paced differently with much more exposition on tapes vs codecs or a cutscene. I know I will be listening to the tapes while in game a lot doing side ops or whatever and I really like that change in approach. I loved the codec at the time but nowadays I don't need to be sitting on that screen anymore.

i agree. in an open world game with a lot to do, listening to a tape while you get stuff done seems preferable than being just sitting there locked into a codec call.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

If its anything like those gameplay demos they've been showing then I'm all in and everything. Loved the gameplay videos they've shown, so many options to tackle situations.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Yea I guess it's a bit farfetched as it would be a big risk of lower review scores if they hid anything cool.

Would totally be a Kojima thing to do, but I'm not sure what his influence is at Konami at this point (my guess: 0).

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Konami is rough but I think this is still totally a Kojima production. They have zero incentive to fuck with that at this point and he's still promoting the game and making most of the trailers. I think he could certainly still have that kind of creative control for there to be certain things withheld.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danzig: It is lazy. Instead of presenting it as cohesive narrative inside the game, it's hidden in tapes that you have to unlock, and not necessarily in a contiguous order. It's a removed experience, and it can negatively affect actually playing the game by obscuring the in-game audio.

If the tapes were supplemental, that would be different, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I don't need to play the game to extrapolate how the tapes are going to be presented, especially with all the information we have.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck said:

@teddie: Yea I guess it's a bit farfetched as it would be a big risk of lower review scores if they hid anything cool.

Would totally be a Kojima thing to do, but I'm not sure what his influence is at Konami at this point (my guess: 0).

On the plus side, those reviewers probably didn't get too deep into the side stuff. Based on Peace Walker, there's probably still plenty to discover.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you look at this as a series, moving all the codec and long drawn out exposition cutscenes to tapes is a choice to change format a bit and I personally would rather they do that every time. People can not like the storytelling method but given this is Metal Gear I think something has to give for the necessary exposition and I will be glad to throw on tapes as I explore the world and do side missions.

I like the cutscenes in Metal Gear but they always are drawn out and too wordy. I don't have the patience to sit on a Codec screen anymore. This is a good change.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@dussck said:

Plus Jeff recently talked about that on the bombcast in regards to the twist in MGS2. It wasn't hidden from the press back then, though they were under NDA. In this case the press is specifically saying that there is no big MGS style mindfuck, and are even dropping hints to stuff they can't talk about cause of NDA and spoilers. There's no way they're holding anything back.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Another 100+ hour game? Damn, I honestly didn't see that coming.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Okay, things are starting to get a little confusing with regards to this microtransaction thing. Konami sent a statement over to PC Gamer saying that Peter Brown's GameSpot report is "simply not true." However, in response Peter Brown tweeted this image:

Seeing that, it's not very surprising that Brown came to the conclusion that the only way to construct an FOB is to pay real money. The fact that it says "paid service" next to MB coins is pretty weird. Maybe what it means is that you have an option to pay for MB coins, since they keep saying the microtransactions are accelerators. I probably would have come to the same conclusion as Brown.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hassun said:

Also from the Peter Brown/GS review:

"Tackles taboo topics with grace "

Well I'll be damned.

Are you ashamed of your words & deeds yet?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Gametrailers beat the story in 40 hours, so I would adjust the "definitely 100 hours" in the OP. Most of that is just side stuff.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I changed it to say that 100+ hours is full completion, but story completion was 40 hours for GT. Important note though: some of the best missions in Peace Walker were Extra Ops. I wouldn't be surprised if the Side Ops in MGS5 are just as good.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be noted that most reviewers are saying that you don't have to find the story tapes and that they're given to you as you progress through the game like in peace walker. I could see how someone might not like the past tense nature of the tapes but getting angry that they have to listen to them is a bit silly in the face of the codec from previous games.

You can listen to the tapes similarly to the codec by just stopping in a safe place or listen in transit to a mission or listen in the helicopter while you manage motherbase. In fact judging by the tape prompt while in the helicopter I wouldn't be surprised if listening to the tapes while managing motherbase is the ideal solution. Also as opposed to the codec tapes are unlocked rather then situational so you can't miss them.

The story is also by nature a prequel and having it's story told through uncovering the past, tapes are inherently past tense, is a bit fitting. We all already know the broad strokes of this game's story or at least what it's likely to be just by the other games in the series but we're here to find the specifics and judging by what's said of the cutscenes being David Lynch-esque the game will be mysterious so uncovering the mystery could work.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono said:

Okay, things are starting to get a little confusing with regards to this microtransaction thing. Konami sent a statement over to PC Gamer saying that Peter Brown's GameSpot report is "simply not true." However, in response Peter Brown tweeted this image:

Seeing that, it's not very surprising that Brown came to the conclusion that the only way to construct an FOB is to pay real money. The fact that it says "paid service" next to MB coins is pretty weird. Maybe what it means is that you have an option to pay for MB coins, since they keep saying the microtransactions are accelerators. I probably would have come to the same conclusion as Brown.

MB coins are what you buy, you can also use in-game currency as a replacement. Source: Konami themselves, IGN, etc

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's another smash hit videogame. Jeff won't like it. Fear not Jeff - Mortal Kombat XVZI is in the making.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7: No matter the explanation, Quiet's outfit will always be terrible.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing about tapes someone mentioned on neogaf is that the companion app for ground zeroes let you listen to tapes you unlocked and there's a companion app for phantom pain that will likely have similar functionality. I know not everyone wants to listen to these tapes and some have a boaderline disgust that they even exist but it's nice that if audiologs need to be in the game you have pretty much the max amount of options to deal with them. You can even, from what I understand, fast forward them like the codec in previous games where it cuts audio and you advance a single line with each button press.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's so much contradictory information! What the hell is going on? Games Radar states that "We played between 9am to 5pm, with no unsupervised play outside these hours." But Greg Miller stated that he'd play for far longer than that, sometimes until 10 PM.

Others have stated that FOB mode was disabled, while some are saying that played a few rounds and enjoyed it quite a bit.

On the story: sometimes people are saying there's nothing more then a minute or two of cutscenes, then the Examiner states they would hit 20 minute blocks of cutscenes every few hours. Some say the story is lacking, others say it has the craziest twists of any MGS game. The themes are either handled poorly, with "nothing to say about them, they are just present" to praising how well Kojima handled difficult topics.

Everybody seems to love what they played, but they all seem like they played somewhat different games, with different restrictions and different amounts of time allotted to them.

I'm so confused!

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: I also find it super weird that Greg Miller and Destructoid both got review copies, but other people were forced to play at the boot camp? This all seems very confusing. I'm surprised Destructoid was given a review copy when GB wasn't. Konami doesn't seem to have their shit together for this whole process (big surprise, I know).

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: Yeah, instead of giving everyone the same experience, Konami seems to have negotiated different things with different people. I assume that's not unheard of, but in this case it seems that one part of Konami wasn't sure what the other part was doing, and the end result is this weird mix. I mean, it seems like different people wound up playing totally different builds (I don't have any other explanation for how some people can say certain things were disabled or how there can be such a disparity in opinion on the story) and were allowed to handle it for totally different amounts of time.

Games Radar said that people were forced to sprint through the game with the chicken hat on in order to finish it in 40 hours, whereas some people say they got a hundred hours to tool around with it, while others have said they did half the game in 50 hours and are still enjoying it. What the hell?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Shindig

Could it be some sour grapes over outlets reporting the Nikkei findings?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@mirado: Suffice to say I'm just happy it sounds the game is great and I'm very, very ready to play it. It sucks that the review process has been so bizarre but that's really only a concern for inside baseball fans like us who are really interested. This may be the most successful Metal Gear game ever, which seems awesome.

@shindig

Stranger things have happened! Konami seems to have a lot going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some weirdness regarding the Nikkei report situation.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@hassun said:

@nasar7: No matter the explanation, Quiet's outfit will always be terribly awesome.

Agreed.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Devil240Z

I happy to hear miller say that he didn't like Ground zeroes but loves TPP. I didn't care for GZ so hopefull I will love TPP too.

Also I wonder if you can take any random soldier guy in as a companion or if its only the special ones.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Shindig

@danzig said:
    @kishinfoulux said:
    @fluttercry said:

To be honest, if you're on a mission and time's a factor, you only want the 'need to know' basics. Piecing together the rest via tapes is weirdly democratic as its up to the player to decide how much they want to seek out.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it means you have the option. I'm not sure why Brown is being so insistent about it when there's a multitude of sources debunking him, including a weeks old E3 video. It's entirely possible his review copy is a build which has the feature either not fully implemented yet or intentionally disabled.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Peter Brown seriously not realize that stuff related to online activity might show up strangely before servers are active?

He... Doesn't seem too bright.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I happy to hear miller say that he didn't like Ground zeroes but loves TPP. I didn't care for GZ so hopefull I will love TPP too.

Also I wonder if you can take any random soldier guy in as a companion or if its only the special ones.

There's a select amount of "buddies", but like in Peace Walker you can play as any of your soldiers.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: I initially hated microtransaction accelerators, but if it keeps the servers up, whatever. I never felt put out by the systems in ME3's multiplayer, and from what I can tell, GTA Online isn't awful if you never buy a shark card. I think i'd be put off more if it was an mp focused title like CoD or Splatoon.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

There's a select amount of "buddies", but like in Peace Walker you can play as any of your soldiers.

Yeah I know about playing as any soldier. But it would be cool to be able to roll with a random dude. Also Its been awhile since I played peace walker but does using your random dudes increase their stats or are they just stuck at what they start with?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.