Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

What's your loadout?

• 51 results
    snooski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I pretty much stick with the tranq gun, silenced assault rifle, and a sniper rifle. I don't have a silenced sniper rifle yet so I hardly ever use it and the assault rifle is just for when shit goes bad. I'm having a hard time using anything other than the tranq gun to be honest. I imagine most of you are doing the same as me since the game seems to pressure you into fultoning so much but figured it wouldn't hurt to make a thread to ask and maybe get some new ideas.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#2 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Tranq Gun, Stun Arm, Stun Assault Rifle, Silenced Tranq Sniper. Literally the only lethal weapon I have is C4. If it pops off I take a gun that came from one of the guards I've Fultoned.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm trying to figure out what support weapons I really need to have with me. I often take way more stuff with me than I actually end up using.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq gun, tranq sniper, assault rifle in case I need to actually shoot something, everything suppressed of course. I always bring C4 and empty mags. NVGs and cardboard boxes (I only use them for fast-travel). I change my outfit up depending on the terrain (I'm not even sure if camo actually matters?)

I'm thinking about equipping the stun-arm, but it would mostly be for looks, because I doubt I would use it. If I get close enough to a guy, I'll just hold him up.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devil240Z

Anyone use that Burkov TB? Pistol converted to tranq rounds. I just started the research on it. I'm hoping it as good as the normal tranq pistol but with a faster fire rate.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean tranq gun, silenced tranq sniper, and assault rifle in case it goes wrong is kind of the "I want a good rank, or I want to fulton all these guys and not kill anyone" default loadout. Obviously RPGs or missle launchers for "boss fights" unless you're going for extraction.

I like to bring the stun arm because it's handy for taking out guys that are sleeping up on cots at night. I don't want to chance them waking up, but I also don't want to waste my tranq silencer so I just shock them and it takes out both in one shot if there are two.

I usually always bring C4 for anti-air radars and other shenanagans and hand grenades for just blowing up whatever. I always want to use stun and sleep grenades but they never work as well as I want them to. Smoke grenades are pretty useful though.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much the same as the others so far: tranq gun and sniper (both silenced), stun assault rifle, grenades, c4, magazine. I usually don't end up using the stun rifle in proper story missions, but it's great for my regular free-roam kidnapping sprees.

snooski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even think to mention the stun arm because I've never used it. I only found out that it made the 6 million dollar man sound by watching the QL. I also bring C4, grenades, smoke grenades, support grenades, box, mines, practically everything but I only ever really use the C4 and grenades. I should really stop taking most of the crap because it's draining my gmp but I'm always like "well what if I need it?" and never do. Guess it's better to be over prepared.

@Strife777 camo totally matters. I wasn't sure at first either until I was wearing the black sneaking suit in the middle of a bright sunny day and I was seen from a mile away. I was genuinely impressed when it happened.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

right now for side ops and general Afghan maneuvers its Tranq gun, gold bionic arm (stun arm seems fairly useless, to me so far), stun shotgun, tranq sniper rifle.

ill switch to silenced assault rifle and rocket launcher if i know im gonna have to get wild.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The upgraded sneaking suit is ridiculous at night. Like when I want to be spotted I can't get them to.

And nodded out assault rifle, the big ass sniper rifle that fires 12.7mm rounds and wrecks shop. Tranq pistol And rocket fist! I am death encarnate now that mother base has 700 soldiers. I don't need no d rsnk scrubs

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq pistol, basic arm, silenced lethal assault rifle, and silenced tranq sniper rifle for most ops, trading out the sniper rifle for a rocket launcher if needed by a certain mission. For support items, C4, EMP mines, and recently sleep grenades.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Been mostly using either:

1) assault rifle, rocket launcher, tranq gun
    2) assault rifle, sniper rifle, tranq gun

The beautiful thing with the rocket launcher (especially when you upgrade it) is that it is good against armored vehicles and heavy infantry. If you cant handle the situation with the assault rifle and tranq gun then in most cases the rocket launcher will take care of the business. Of course if you want to be stealthy at almost all times then rocker launcher isnt an option. Though with quiet backing you one really doesnt need to use sniper rifle.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ratamero

Tranq gun, assault rifle (no supressor because screw it, I only use it when shit went down already), stun arm, grenades, C4. 95% of the time I only use CQC/tranq anyway.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Tranq gun, Tranq Sniper, Suppressed Assault Rifle & Rocket Arm

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: The Burkov tranq is AWESOME. While there is a significant tradeoff in range (it is a 10m loss in effective range) being able to not need a headshot all the time and quickly put a dude to sleep with two really quick shots to the abdomen is so great. I have an upgraded silencer on it as well and it is able to carry much more ammo than even the level 4 Wu. pistol. Although, later upgrades of the Wu. might make me switch back over (infinite silencer is just too tempting) right now it's so great to roll with the ol' Burkov.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sgtsphynx: My current play style revolves around something that could benefit using that arrangement, I might give it a shot. I use the tranq gun so much that can't wait til I get to research some better suppressors.

snooski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: The Burkov tranq gun does have a much faster firing rate. I haven't used it but you can check weapon stats and the bar for firing rate is much higher than the normal tranq gun.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

Yeah, I switched to the Burkov as soon as it became available and never went back to the Wu Silent Pistol. The Wu may be slightly more accurate, but the Burkov makes up for it with higher magazine capacity and a much higher rate of fire. It's so good. Plus, it looks awesome. This is with a combination flashlight/laser unit and the standard magazine, although an extended mag with 12 round capacity can be fitted.

No Caption Provided

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, empty magazines and my knife is pretty much all I use. If I fall back to anything else, then I've fucked up.

On missions that call for it, I'll adjust. For instance, the mission that required me to go around destroying enemy armor, I took D Horse and a missile launcher, as many grenades and C4 as I could carry, blasted some sick 80's tunes from my iDroid speaker, and laid waste. That mission was one of my only S ranks. I think the game is just rewarding awesome shit.

imallinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found the most broken gun to be the tranq conversion of the M2000 sniper. Even if I leg someone they drop in a second or two. It makes it so the only thing I have trouble with are the dudes in full riot gear, otherwise I can take out pretty much any guard post in no time. Besides my non lethal setup I have a load out with a machine gun, big loud sniper rifle and smg for killing dudes and a rocket launcher grenade launcher, smg loadout for blowing stuff up.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lanechanger

@hatking said:

Man, empty magazines and my knife is pretty much all I use. If I fall back to anything else, then I've fucked up.

On missions that call for it, I'll adjust. For instance, the mission that required me to go around destroying enemy armor, I took D Horse and a missile launcher, as many grenades and C4 as I could carry, blasted some sick 80's tunes from my iDroid speaker, and laid waste. That mission was one of my only S ranks. I think the game is just rewarding awesome shit.

Wait, how do you get the knife in this game. I remember pulling one of "those" when i was free roaming and I took the bare minimum equipment with me and carried the water gun. I was giggling at how dumb it was that I could hold up guards with it and then go in front of him and shoot his face and crotch a bunch with the guard still keeping his hands up.

Edit: oh wait nvm, I guess you mean the CQC silent kill

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tell Quiet to cover me and run around squirting people's nether regions with a water pistol.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

once you complete all the legendary gunsmith side missions, you can start frankensteining guns together from stuff you've researched so far. Useful for getting the attributes of one gun onto another. Like a medium suppressor onto one that doesn't support it natively through the upgrade path. Lots of fun. As for my loadout, Custom Tranq pistol, Custom Suppressed tranq sniper rifile, Custom Suppressed MRS (in case i need to dome someone quick and i don't want them alerting the whole base), sleeping gas/stun/smoke/frag grenades, C4, NVG's, and my trusty cardboard box. Also some animal cages are cool to drop for free money once you extract, just plop them down wherever and when it's time to call Piquat, you get free money.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadyPingu

Silenced tranq pistol, silenced G44, silenced semi-auto sniper. Rocket arm for paired patrols. I like to stay quiet as much as possible. Bring along some active decoys, frag and stun grenades to clean up if things go wrong. Tried sleep grenades a few times, but they take too long to go off so I stick to my trusty stuns. Cardboard box for bobsledding fun.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stick to the tranq gun. I have a silenced assault rifle, but I shoot more light fixtures than I do craniums.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also tend to stick with the non-lethal approach, relying on my WU S.Pistol and Renov-ickx TP sniper rifle (I haven't unlocked the tranq. conversion to the M2000 sniper rifle yet, so I don't use my current one unless absolutely necessary). I also carry the AM MRS-4 but I almost never use it on people. As for support items I mostly just use the magazines to pull people away so I can hold them up, but I also carry stun grenades for groups at outposts, grenades for AA Radars and comms equipment, and C4 for the odd occasion when I want to do something more fancy (or to stop an armoured vehicle so I can sneak up and fulton it). I also bring some cardboard boxes to hide from helicopters and stuff, but mostly I just crawl around in my desert camo. I might have to try out the animal camo though since I'm reaching more areas that have more grassy patches.

It was weird listening to the guys on the Bombcast talk about that legendary bear being so much trouble, I just used my tranq sniper rifle to shoot it in the face once from 100m away, which caused the bear to run around aimlessly until it fell asleep, then I drove my jeep up to it and extracted it. That's also the weapon I used to deal with mission 11, although some of the alternative methods I've heard of are pretty amusing. So yeah, I always carry it just in case, and I can't wait to get a silenced replacement for that!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#27 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@Mike: I just unlocked that last night. Haven't used it yet, but I do plan to replace my WU with it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike

@sgtsphynx: Speaking of the Burkov TP - I just recorded a quick video of it. Ignore the poor shooting, the point here is to mainly show the rate of fire and handling characteristics compared to the Wu. I love this little guy.

As seen here, I have it set up with a 12 round extended magazine (12+1 total capacity), a flashlight/laser combo, and a 2nd generation suppressor for added durability.

Loading Video...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I ever get upgraded sights for pistols?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lanechanger: Yeah, I meant the CQC silent kill, sorry I wasn't most specific. Maybe if you don't equip a primary weapon, you just carries a knife in that place?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I'm gettin really IDK if Bummed out is the right phrase but something about loadouts are annoying me. I want to have set loadouts for different situations but there are only 3 loadouts you can have. I wish you could have as many as you want.

Ideally I would have load outs for these situations:

• Full Stealth(Letal and ZZZ)
    • Full ZZZ
    • Anti Tank/Air
    • Hella Murdering
    • Low GMP cost
    • Experimental

Or something like that. Ive been expirimenting with mixing and matching different stuff but I have gotten to the point where I just don't want to waste any money on shit I'm not gonna use on side ops. When I'm going in to do a main mission I will go all out with gear and when I go on side ops I have like a 5000GMP load out of all non lethal guns. I took all the upgrades off my chopper so it only costs 1000GMP to call in an extraction. But if the shit hits the fan I have no way to call in a beefed up chopper. So its like you really have to commit to blowing a bunch of money to do cool shit. I just wish there were more options.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

actually, any options to change your support drop loadout into something customization? Like when pinned to a corner need to call down a supply drop with more damage?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riot gun all day.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rank 1 tranq pistol, AK, empty magazines and Rank 3 NVG. I don't like to carry anything else since it costs more GMP and I hold people up rather than actually shooting the tranq pistol so equipping the higher rank versions would be unnecessary. I wish you could take out the primary weapon entirely cause I never shoot anyone and there are plenty in the open world to procure on site.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Tranq Gun

Assult Rifle

Stun Arm

Silenced Tranq Sniper.

I sometimes replace the tranq gun with a lethal gun and my sniper with either a loud lethal sniper or a launcher.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On missions, I'll go with the Burkov, G44, and either a silenced Renov sniper rifle or the recoilless rocket launcher depending on the mission. All lethal. I don't use the tranq gun because that shit is a cop-out.

I take the tranqs on side-ops though. That's usually where I get my fultons on.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burkov TP, G44k, and the Renkov tranq sniper. All suppressed.

I have Stun, Sleep and Smoke grenades on, as well as C4, Active Decoys and the yellow smoke grenades that call in support choppers and supply drops for you.

I barely use stuff like a Cardboard Box but I still have it equipped, along with Stealth Camo (just in case shit gets real), Pentazemin,Noctocyanin, Acceleramin, NVGs and the Cigar.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my new standard sniper rifle, just unlocked & modified: MRS-73 NL .308 semi-auto suppressed tranquilizer sniper rifle. I went with the shortened barrel with integral suppressor, flashlight, laser, and 2x-8x variable range finding glass.

This thing is just as accurate as the bolt action tranquilizer rifle it replaced, and those 20 rounds per magazine sure are nice!

No Caption Provided

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Capum15

@Mike: Oh man, do you know what gave that 2-8x variable rangefinder? Been wanting one for a while.

My loadout is the Tranq Wu pistol (glass-piercing!), Tranq bolt action rifle, and Stun AR (all suppressed) which hasn't really changed much in a while. But since I just got a specialist that unlocked a whole mess of non-lethal tranq stuff, I'm probably going to try out some of those.

As for other gear, I always have C4, Magazine, Smoke and Sleep grenades. But I have taken other stuff out to play with, like decoys and mines. I've actually had decoys on my normal loadout recently, they're just so fun, especially when you just wanna fuck with the last guy in an outpost. Or pop them up behind claymores. I've only done it once during a mine-clearing, but it was hilarious (put up a decoy on a side of a mine so the guard will walk past it, shoot one mine to get them to check the area).

And I carry NVGs, a box and a cigar for the other set of items.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silenced stun SMG, silenced murder assault rifle, silenced tranq sniper rifle.

I prefer the silenced stun SMG (Riot) to the tranq gun. If you always go for headshots it's like having a 240 round tranq gun.

I use the assault rifle to murder people who are zzz/stn who I don't want to fulton.

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle dress, double barrel shotgun with an extended barrel and 2x zoom, upgraded grom rocket launcher, silenced pistol (not the Wu). Smoke, frag, anti-tank mines, flare supply. Full lethal.

I had serious concerns with the R&D portion of this game, and wondered if it had roots in my go-to loadout, which I was comfortable with and almost never changed. Thought I'd step out of my comfort zone and try a take-no-prisoners sort of build.

I actually like it a lot, but it raises some questions: If, at the end of a mission, I killed everyone I encountered, then what is the report I get at the end of the mission regarding soldiers and ranks? I assumed it was the people I fultoned during the mission, but after replaying some story missions having fultoned no one, I'll still get 10-12 updates on soldiers, some of which are A+ and A++ specialists that I definitely did not recover.

LarsHJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ultimate "just have fun" loadout and not caring about S-ranks since it uses rank restricting items.

Primary weapons: Fakel (sleep) and CGM 25

Secondary weapons:Zorn-KP and Rocket Arm

The CGM with 8 lock on missiles is just great and has amazing range. Took out extreme Sahelanthropus (mission 50) in less than 1 minute. The Fakel is grenade launcher with sleep grenades and you can just put entire bases to sleep in no time. The zorn is just bonus fun and who doesn't love the rocket arm!

Use the above with Infinity Bandana and add in rank 6 stealth camo and you will pretty much win over everything.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Devil240Z

Ok I just made a gun so dope I didn't think it was possible.

Semi Auto sniper. Silenced. 30 round banana clip. under barrel shotgun. (any one know if it would be possible to make a non lethal version of this gun?)

No Caption Provided

Paired with an AR+Under barrel grenade launcher and you got a dangerous quad combo.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mike

@devil240z: Look up a few posts, although I'm not positive it's possible to put a grenade launcher or shotgun attachment on that weapon.

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 41

WU Pistol for constant use.
    AM MRS-4 with suppressor and dot scope for "uh oh" moments.
    Suppressed tranq rifle for long distance nap attacks.
    Sleep grenades because maybe I'll finally remember to use them.
    D-Walker for suppressed tranquilizer barrages, impromptu explosions and satisfying movement speed.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now it's Final Countdown, but while visiting Quiet's cell, I heard Friday I'm in Love. So once I find that, I might switch.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ben_H  Online

I'm just starting but so far have the tranq gun, longer range assault rifle with a beefy scope (for side ops I scan everyone and tranq anyone good ranked but kill the rest because why not. On missions I always try and go for no kills, no alerts, which usually works out), and the American sniper rifle (M2000 I think?). I'm only like 7 missions in though so it will probably change. I do a lot of side ops. I find them quite fun. I usually CQC most of the guards anyway so I don't use a lot of ammo. I play this game like Splinter Cell.

For my helicopter music, I've been too lazy to do a custom song so far so I just have Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell", which I found on a mission. Before it was Asia's "Only Time Will Tell", but the intro to that song is too long so I seldom got to hear the good part of it.

therias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@murgatroyd: That screen should tell you whether someone is extracted or a volunteer. I think the volunteers may only show up on main missions, and the listed rewards from combat deployments.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bane

[ZZZ] Wu Silent Pistol > Burkov once I can research the tranq conversion

[STN] Stun arm, although I never use it so I should switch it back to the standard/gold one to save GMP

[DMG] AM MRS-4 (suppressed) > not sure what yet, I think the legendary gunsmith will open up more suppressed options

[DMG] M2000 Sniper (suppressed) > tranq sniper, or leave that to Quiet and switch to something else entirely

Magazine, Decoy, Hand/Smoke/Stun Grenades, C4, Capture Cages, Phantom Cigar - most of which I never use.

There are so many weapons that I really should have a go with. I should also leave most of my crap on Mother Base since I never use it anyway. It's one of those "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" kind of situations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.