Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Another Metal Gear Solid Remake Inbound. (Not anytime soon)

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoOzak

"Hideo Kojima restated some of the known facts about the Metal Gear Solid motion picture as well as stating his involvement and ambition to make it a great experience. As for the second request Kojima explained that he was actually in the process of searching out a studio he could task with adapting the first game to the Fox Engine. He noted that some of the mechanics would need updating, but apparently he's keen on a second remake following Silicon Knights' Gamecube adapation Twin Snakes and HD releases of the original game."

Source: http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/81421/The+Mysterious+Mr.+Kojima/

Personally I'm kind of sick of remakes. But i'm guessing there's a lot of people who didnt play MGS when it first came out, and are probably less accepting of it's dated graphics and game design. Twin Snakes is also quite hard to track down and isnt in HD either so in that respect I guess it makes sense.

So what would you want from an updated MGS? Personally i'd like a more labyrinth design of Shadow Moses as it was pretty small. I'm also curious if they'll bring back Hayter or have Kiefer voice him (that would really take the piss) but my best guess would be someone new entirely. (probably the guy who played hawk-eye or something)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

To actually make it feel like a remake or reimagining of the original. Twins Snakes was good but aside from the updated graphics and cutscenes, there wasn't nothing to much new about it. On top of that I really don't think its necessary to have yet another remake anyway. He should just focus on keeping the story moving forward at this point.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As far as the voices go the best approach would be to remaster the original dialogue tracks. Then everyone sounds appropriately young for where that game is in the timeline and we get to keep the awesome Mei Ling and Nastasha accents.

I would be way into a Fox Engine remake of Metal Gear Solid, I mean pie in the sky here make the sequel to V a trilogy of remakes. Metal Gear, Solid Snake and then Solid all built in the Fox Engine.

But I am admittedly a little nutty for Metal Gear so my thoughts are a given.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'd be down for that.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BoOzak

@falserelic: He's on his 3rd (4th if you count portable ops) prequel, I think we're beyond moving forward at this point ;p I get what you mean though, something new, even if it isnt as good, is generally better than a shinier version of something old.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CaLe

A remake of the game that altered the course of my life?? Cool. (It better have Russian gunships for which the presence of is questionable)

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well, it's more viable than a FF7 remake at least.

Seriously though, I think this would be a great idea if they did it on a relatively low scale (XBLA/PSN level). The length of the game was about 10-15 hours, which is fairly long by today's standards, and you'd get a fair bit of milelage just redoing the environment textures and character models. The voicework has already been done... twice. Maybe improve the controls and they're onto something.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@falserelic: He's on his 3rd (4th if you count portable ops) prequel, I think we're beyond moving forward at this point ;p I get what you mean though, something new, even if it isnt as good, is generally better than a shinier version of something old.

True, hopefully after the Phantom Of Pain we get a new character that's in the future. Even though I got nothing but love for good ole solid snake, he finally reached the end of the road of his story.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nottle

To actually make it feel like a remake or reimagining of the original. Twins Snakes was good but aside from the updated graphics and cutscenes, there wasn't nothing to much new about it. On top of that I really don't think its necessary to have yet another remake anyway. He should just focus on keeping the story moving forward at this point.

Don't forget that they added basically all of the mechanics from MGS2 in there. Ledge holding, first person aiming for all the weapons, rolling, body part sensitive damage to enemies, bodies remaining after death, being able to tranq enemies, moving bodies around. Also they made the card key backtrack at the end of the game much less tedious.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I wonder if this is so Kojima can rejigger the canon with Sutherland; either for Big Boss flashbacks or for him to take over Hayter completely as Solid Snake. I'm not completely opposed to the idea of yet another remake, though. Twin Snakes has some questionable style choices that clash with the series (or, at least how the original was meant to be portrayed) and I'd like to see them try and do a better job with this one.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nottle said:

@falserelic said:

Don't forget that they added basically all of the mechanics from MGS2 in there. Ledge holding, first person aiming for all the weapons, rolling, body part sensitive damage to enemies, bodies remaining after death, being able to tranq enemies, moving bodies around. Also they made the card key backtrack at the end of the game much less tedious.

True, I forgot about that

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GaspoweR

For some reason I think they should just stick with Hayter being Solid Snake's VO actor but keep Sutherland as Big Boss.. At the very least having the characters sound different but both having a low voice register would make the characters seem more distinct from one another yet in a way still be related. Hopefully, Kojima doesn't just ret-con the remake by having Sutherland voice Solid Snake for the MGS remake but if he does decide to do a Snake Eater remake, then he'll have Sutherland again to voice Naked Snake. It makes a lot more sense to me and it's probably far cheaper since I'm sure Hayter doesn't have as high a talent fee as Sutherland. What do you think, duders?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested in a remake but will have to see how Metal Gear V turns out. I found stealth games to be too "trial and error" for me and really don't see how Kojima is changing the MGS formula around outside of the open world. If the trial and error nature of the prior games is improved, then I'd be interested in a remake.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be awesome, there's a lot of good 90s action movie level drama in MGS1 contained in some very, very poor gameplay by today's standards. I hope if they do remake it that they can somehow retain the original VO (I'm guessing that might be an issue though.)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

A proper remake of MGS 1 in the Fox Engine would be my wet dream. Holy shit. Like yeah, I know remakes are played out and shit but finally getting to play that story in full HD would be fucking AMAZING. I wonder how they would handle all of the VO stuff....

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be very interested in a modern re-imagining of the original game so long as they don't do what Twin Snakes did, which was losing the grunginess and griminess of the environment. I thought the Twin Snakes looked too "clean".

That might be partially because of the 16x16 pixel textures the originals used for the environments, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@yummylee:

I doubt it. Remember how Sons of Liberty used stills from the PS1 games as opposed to re-rendering them on PS2 hardware?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoy playing the PS1 version of MGS; even now it has a certain ugly beauty to it. However,a full-on remake for the Fox Engine would be awesome as well. I think they should keep the mechanics out-dated, mostly as a contrast between now and 15-years-ago, but a bump in visuals I'm down for.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoOzak

@gaspower: I dont think they'll reuse Hayter. Not because of his childish Twitter remarks, bridges arent that easy to burn. If it's a full fledged remake with new voice overs there's probably going to be a lot of performance capture as well, so they'll probably end up hiring another Hollywood actor. I know Hayter has acted before outside of voice overs, but he's been in nothing substantial enough to generate buzz.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quarters

I have a feeling that the article writer is mistaken and he's talking about Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2. Why would the fan ask only about MGS1 and MGS2? Why not MGS3, which was still PS2 like the others? On top of that, Kojima's mentioned the possibility of trying to get a Western studio or something to remake Metal Gear 1, because he didn't feel he would have the time for it. Plus, it makes sense with the direction that MGSV is heading, and how close it is to the timeline. On top of all that, one of the MGSV Japanese VA's mentioned on Kojima's podcast very recently that they needed to get around to remaking MG1 and MG2 to fix plot stuff, and Kojima stayed completely silent.

Either way, it'll probably be awesome.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoOzak

@quarters: I posted what the guy said in the article and he referenced Twin Snakes, so if anything he misinterpreted it. (or Kojima's translater, who knows) Honestly i'd rather have a Metal Gear remake, since I have yet to play the first two.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread what you said... i'm tired ;P

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Twin Snakes was pretty bad, and if they are outsourcing this one as well, no thanks.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By YummyTreeSap

@nottle said:

Don't forget that they added basically all of the mechanics from MGS2 in there. Ledge holding, first person aiming for all the weapons, rolling, body part sensitive damage to enemies, bodies remaining after death, being able to tranq enemies, moving bodies around.

Yeah, and this is why I think Twin Snakes kind of sucks. MGS1 was not built with MGS2's mechanics in mind, and they didn't change anything else enough to make up for that fact. The fight with Vulcan Raven, for example, is massively broken when you are able to see across the entire area and shoot from the first-person view. It just never felt right to me, and in certain cases made things far too easy.

Sure, MGS1 is a heavily dated game, but so what? We need to live with the past of video games.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Ha, no problem. But yeah, the absence of an actual quote from Kojima is what makes me doubt the accuracy of this. All the Twin Snakes talk was the author's interjection. Maybe not, maybe he really was talking about MGS, it just seems that MG1 and MG2 remakes are far more consistent with statements he's made in the past. He's never said anything about MGS remakes post Twin Snakes.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I would love a remade MGS with the new gameplay systems (crouched sneaking) and such added in. The stealth system has always been a little clunky in past MGS games until MGS4 which I found to be the most "playable" MGS (yes yes cutscene cutscene no gameplay hur hur).

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd rather a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2.

I'm to entrenched in nostalgia with the PS1 version that even if the FOX engine remake was the perfect remake, I probably can't deal.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sure, if it's well done, I'll play that. I keep kinda wanting to go and replay Twin Snakes again, but then I remember that it (and MGS2 and MGS3) have aged TERRIBLY, and I don't because I don't want my memories ruined.

LoZ825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be down with an MGS1 re-remake, but I would rather the first 2 MG be remade, that would basically be a whole new game and still have both Snake and Big Boss.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Bring it on, why not. If they could go ahead and remake MG1 & 2 that would also be sweet.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

We don't need another MGS remake....

We need a Metal Gear remake. And then and Metal Gear 2 remake.

Then we can have an MGS remake.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By stonyman65

Sure, if it's well done, I'll play that. I keep kinda wanting to go and replay Twin Snakes again, but then I remember that it (and MGS2 and MGS3) have aged TERRIBLY, and I don't because I don't want my memories ruined.

I played Twin Snakes within the last year or so. It's aged a bit but not THAT bad. It's totally playable as long as you don't mind it being in SD.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34 chaser324  Moderator

I think we're getting to a point where most of the Metal Gear story has been told, and I'd really like to see Kojima do something totally fresh, even if he were to stick with the "tactical espionage" style gameplay.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Unless the end of MGSV is playing as young Solid Snake through those games! DUN DUN DUN!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65 said:

Unless the end of MGSV is playing as young Solid Snake through those games! DUN DUN DUN!

Oh how I fucking wish! How crazy and awesome would that be?

Ya know....I wouldn't put that past Kojima.....

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Klei

@boozak said:

"Hideo Kojima restated some of the known facts about the Metal Gear Solid motion picture as well as stating his involvement and ambition to make it a great experience. As for the second request Kojima explained that he was actually in the process of searching out a studio he could task with adapting the first game to the Fox Engine. He noted that some of the mechanics would need updating, but apparently he's keen on a second remake following Silicon Knights' Gamecube adapation Twin Snakes and HD releases of the original game."

Source: http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/81421/The+Mysterious+Mr.+Kojima/

Personally I'm kind of sick of remakes. But i'm guessing there's a lot of people who didnt play MGS when it first came out, and are probably less accepting of it's dated graphics and game design. Twin Snakes is also quite hard to track down and isnt in HD either so in that respect I guess it makes sense.

So what would you want from an updated MGS? Personally i'd like a more labyrinth design of Shadow Moses as it was pretty small. I'm also curious if they'll bring back Hayter or have Kiefer voice him (that would really take the piss) but my best guess would be someone new entirely. (probably the guy who played hawk-eye or something)

I'm totally not sick of remakes. Good ones, I mean. For instance, I could play a revamped version of the same great game every 8 years and I'd be happy.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love MGS 1, but I'd rather have a remake/re-imagining of Metal Gear 1 and 2

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play it with Spencer in heaven.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping for a remake of the first Metal Gear series which would be a cool full circle.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BoOzak

@klei: A faithful HD version that doesnt require a huge amount of resources to make i'm fine with. But I dont need to see classic games modernised with the latest DirectX shaders and TressFX etc. I know that's probably not what you mean by "Good ones" that's just what i'm afraid this might turn into. And I cant help but think 'What if someone with any semblance of creative vision had the time and resources to make something new with that budget'

That's what really annoys me about Oddworld: New and Tasty they've got the guy who helped make the original on their team but people would rather play the old one in HD. I know I might sound selfish seeing as i've already played these games and many havent, but i've also played sequels of games and gone back to play earlier games in the franchise dating back to the 80's and loved them.

But good for Kojima, i'm sure it'll be great. MGS is one of my favourite franchises. And maby it'll give a new team a chance to learn how to make games without taking any risks since it's MGS and it's bound to sell well. (I also think the best ideas dont require large budgets but that's another rant for another day...) Either way i'm going to go back and play Metal Gear 1&2 at some point, hopefully before this comes out.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By a_e_martin

Apparently this isn't happening after all, it was a mistranslation. See Kojima's tweets.

piercedonnell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By piercedonnell

Glad it's a mistranslation after all..

MrFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin: But you can never know what Kojima is really up to. It might all be misdirection.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

As far as the voices go the best approach would be to remaster the original dialogue tracks. Then everyone sounds appropriately young for where that game is in the timeline and we get to keep the awesome Mei Ling and Nastasha accents.

I would be way into a Fox Engine remake of Metal Gear Solid, I mean pie in the sky here make the sequel to V a trilogy of remakes. Metal Gear, Solid Snake and then Solid all built in the Fox Engine.

But I am admittedly a little nutty for Metal Gear so my thoughts are a given.

Not sure I agree about your sequel plan.... (even though I would buy them all like a strung out crack addict) but I definitely agree about the audio. They should just remaster the original recordings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.