Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

I'm finally an mgs fan. Thanks drew and dan

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I played the first middle of the ps2 era. I hated the Rex fight. I don't remember much of the story of when I played it, before metal gear scanlon started. I tried to play the second, kept getting caught and stopped playing.

Then we come to solid scanlon taking up the controller. I loved watching the first. I bought the hd collection but they beat me to mgs2. Watched that series, was busy for mgs3 and they got back into it again. I loved watching 3 and wished I was playing but didn't want to start in the middle of drew's play. 3 actually did look super fun to play.

And now, after 3, Im around six hours into a mgs4 save. I love the options of gameplay, I'm doing fairly well with some solid scanlon bungles here and there but the game so far is pretty forgiving. Having Dan sit with Drew explaining story and gameplay was exactly what I needed as well and things finally click with me.

Took me a decade but I finally understand it and can't wait to finish this and then check out revengeance, peace walker and ground zeroes/5.

Quick looks have already turned me onto dozens of games but this feature has been one of my favorite giant bomb has ever done. Thanks guys!

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm finally a fan of MGS3 thanks to Metal Gear Scanlon, when I had first tried to play it I just didn't have any fun at all and quit after about 4 hours.

After watching Drew play through it I picked up a lot of the gameplay elements I was ignoring or didn't know about my first try. I jumped back in after MGScanlon3 was over in order to experience the story for my self and I've been having a great time playing through it this time around.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm still not, I think those games are straight up garbage. I enjoy watching Metal Gear Scanlon, though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I played through all of them as they were released but having seen them played back to back with a real focus on exploring the story was a great refresher especially with Phantom Pain coming up. While they're certainly an acquired taste, I wouldn't go as far as @mb in calling them "straight up garbage" as I think that should be strictly reserved for 'things' like Big Rigs and the like.

Overall I think the people who claim MGS games are just bullshit nonsense and have terrible controls are unfairly doing the series a great disservice by turning potential newcomers away, much like the Souls fans that yell up and down how they're the hardest game in the world. I'm glad that Metal Gear Scanlon has given people pause and maybe even offered a second chance at getting acquainted with the series as I honestly feel to this day it's a one of a kind saga that meaningfully spans so many different console generations.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Welcome to the club.

The ride never stops.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

MGS is great. People struggling with controls is understandable, because most of them came out in an age of instruction manuals. Ain't got time for that, I suppose.

I popped in MGS 4 the other day since I only beat it once. Figured I'd do a nice, quick playthrough before the next series here. But I was quickly reminded how each of these games is a god damn event, and you can't help but get sucked in 100%.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm having fun watching and the detail put into these games is certainly impressive but I'd say they're more "interesting" than "great". I played Ground Zeroes a month ago and the actual gameplay felt really good so I feel fine in not actually playing any of the previous titles myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.