Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Is Portable Ops Essential?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Raven10

So after holding out for years I finally decided to give in and play the Metal Gear Solid franchise. All the games are available to play on the PS3 but Portable Ops and the Acid games. Now I don't really want to get into Acid but I was wondering how important Portable Ops is to the overall story. I have a PSP so I could play it. Is it worth getting? Or does the story not matter that much in the grand scheme of things? The HD collection will cover all the games post Metal Gear Solid and I bought the PSOne Classics version of that game and am playing through it right now. So what say you guys? Do I play Portable Ops? Or should I stick with the games I can play on PS3? I guess my final option would be to wait and get it on a Vita if I ever get one. All thoughts appreciated.

joemarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joemarch

I'd play it any way because it's a good game but it isn't really that important in the grand scheme of things if you are only going for story (This is mgs after all) but again it is a fun game good if you just want more mgs 3

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kashif1

Not really, it was given one line mention in peace walker (which is very essential). That said I'm told its a fun game.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I kind of liked it, but the story beats can pretty much be summed up in a sentence, and it's really not essential. The default control scheme is pretty brutal, but you can reconfigure it to mostly follow the Peace Walker controls.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wjb

Not really.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By aleryn

As a Metal Gear fan that started in 1998 with Solid, bought up the back library and played them to death, and from that point played them all... I'd say you can live without Portable Ops. It's a good game with BAD controls. That really killed the enjoyment of it for me. I think there MIGHT be a demo of it available on PSN?

samcroft90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By samcroft90

It's not hugely essential on the surface but does feature a lot of series-wide storyline intricacies, it may be something you come back to later if you become invested in the franchise's story and characters.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kashif1

@Aleryn said:

As a Metal Gear fan that started in 1998 with Solid, bought up the back library and played them to death, and from that point played them all... I'd say you can live without Portable Ops. It's a good game with BAD controls. That really killed the enjoyment of it for me. I think there MIGHT be a demo of it available on PSN?

There isn't but isn't its control scheme inspired by metal gear solid three, because thats the control scheme I ended up using for peace walker and I found it pretty good.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Maybe look up the cut-scenes online. The game itself isn't that great (at least compared to Peace Walker, which is a must play), but the story is all right.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FilipHolm

IT'snot Essential, but if you're into the story and characters it's a cool game. You should check it out for that reason, but if you're quickly running through the games to catch up on the story it isn't really necessary.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By N7

It's got a fantastic story with absolute terrible controls that WILL make your hands cramp. It's not important but the story is interesting.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akrid

It's a pretty crappy game that covers a part of the history that's inessential. Some interesting tid-bits in there if you dig, but probably not worth the time.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle

Read up the story/watch the cut-scenes on YouTube and you'll be fine.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By s-a-n-JR

What about Peace Walker?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi
    @Raven10 To answer the question no Portable Ops isn't required playing. Secondly, the Acid games are NOT cannon to the series.
    Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#16  Edited By Mnemoidian

From what I can remember, Portable Ops doesn't have a whole lot of story, but if you have a PSP/PSV, why not play it? I thought it was pretty good... only stopped because my PSP stopped working, and I wasn't getting another one.

@Sanj: Peace Walker is essential. The game was called "Metal Gear Solid 5", and there is marketing material that said so. It's a pretty good story too, if Metal Gear stories is your thing.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamjohn

I really like Portable Ops, but kind of like what everyone else said, it's not necessary. It's nice context for Peace Walker, but that's about it.

@Sanj said:

What about Peace Walker?

Peace Walker is definitely worth it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MiniPato

Portable Ops doesn't really feel that essential. It references other games, but no other games reference Portable Ops, at least not that I remember. It felt like an experimental side story that got pushed into the background when Kojima finally got time to devote all his time and resources into a proper portable MGS game.Gameplay-wise, I didn't much care for it. I didn't like the level structure or the fact that you could only have 2 items and 2 weapons on your person. If you don't feel like playing Portable Ops, then I would say you are missing out on very little.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

I read the detailed story on the MG wikia thing and got everything I needed.

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demmetje

Next to reading the story I think the animated cutscenes are also worth watching.

Also I really enjoyed playing the game, so I wouldn't just skip it of you like the series.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By Raven10

Hhmm seems most people are saying bad controls and not very important story so I think I will skip it. Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help!

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kandycane2029

No. But it is fun once you get the hang of the janky controls and get over the graphic novel style cutscenes. Other MGS games barely make references to it and the story leaves a bit to be desired. But the Frank Jaeger (Null/Gray Fox/Cyborg Ninja) bit is kind of cool if you liked the Ninja character in MGS1.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By csl316

There's a youtube upload that's 1:42 long that I just watched. After reading and seeing that, coupled with my memories of it being kinda clunky, it's skippable.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss

Definitely not essential...but get Peace Walker.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Quarters

I'd say you should play it. While it isn't constantly referenced, it helps make the character arc of the games surrounding MGS3 feel a little more fluid. It has some good moments in it for sure, and it's obviously the predecessor to Peace Walker in both theme and gameplay. It's not the best in the series, but I'd at the very least watch the cutscenes online.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

The story was kinda considered a throw away by some people but I never got why, probably due to the focus on multiplayer for this game. But this game is the first introduction to Colonel Campbell when he was still a young soldier and a young Gray Fox when he was still a teen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.