Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

New to MGS and Loving it

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

I'm really new to the series and I finally am going through the franchise. It's probably a sin that it has taken me this long to play each game because they are fucking awesome and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Within 2 games MGS became my favorite franchise over Zelda, I can't get enough MGS-verse. My first game was MGS4 and it was solely on the experience of my buddy so I bought the game and my mind was blown, one of my favorite games ever and probably will be hard to top as my favorite MGS game overall. I beat the original last year and I loved it but I kinda want to play the Twin Snakes version to see if that holds up better because I did have some issues with various things, overall amazing game.

Now is where it gets interesting. I played through MGS2 2 weeks ago or so and.....I have mixed feelings. I really disliked some parts of the game, but I thought was pretty good too great game overall. Boss battles where subpar except for....really the ending battle was the only one I loved out of the entire game. Raiden was intolerable for the first part of the game but grew on me has he grew up on screen. I still have no idea what happened at the end and accidentally skipped some cutscenes which was terrible. I want to say 50 minutes out of the last hour are cutscenes/codec conversations, that about right? The Tanker section I thought was the better part of the game. Basically I need to play through the game again to really develop how I feel but definitely the weaker of the 3 I played so far.

Now I just started 3 a couple hours ago and took a break but I got up through "The Pain" and I'm LOVING the game so far. If it maintains the momentum it has for me it could easily surpass 1 and 4. Snake is of course a badass and have had some great one-liners. Young Ocelot is super interesting me as basically Snake is mentoring him right from their first meeting. They have a bad guy I hate and can't wait to fight her...that traitor. I'm only a couple hours in and its just bringing up emotions that I had when I played through 4 and I just want to keep going and learning and watching and seeing how the game plays out.

After I beat 3 I will play through Peace Walker (thank GOD (Hideo Kojima) for the HD collection) but I'm curious how MG and MG2 are, should I play them? Am I being too harsh on 2? Am I remember 4 too fondly? Twin Snakes worth playing? ETC?

I guess this is more of I just WANT to talk about MGS. I feel like I do now as I did when I first watch Arrested Development years ago, I've been missing out on this amazing thing and I just want to catch up with people who know what they are talking about.

Artigkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Artigkar

@Nightriff: MG1 and MG2 are not necessary for enjoying the series, but I found MG2 to have some neat stuff. MG1 has not aged well so I wouldn't recommend that one. I don't think you are too harsh on MGS 2, I think many people would agree with atleast some of your statements on it. Honestly I didn't mind Raiden at all, but I could see how people would be annoyed by him. MGS 4 is not a perfect game, but I thought it to be very enjoyable. And Twin Snakes is worth checking out since they changed some stuff in interesting ways (mainly the cutscenes). Not everyone liked the new over the top cutscenes in twin snakes, but they are worth seeing I think.

EDIT: Oh and you should finish MGS 3, some really good stuff later in that game. I am not gonna spoil it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

3 got me back into games in college. My freshman year I decided I didn't have time anymore, and really didn't follow its coverage much (surprising, because MGS was one of my favorite games). Then I bought Snake Eater because I felt I needed to, got sucked in by the first mission, and just spent every free moment I had playing it. Took me about two weeks, but I was blown away. Absolutely superb.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Nightriff: MGS2 is my personal favorite because it's so bat shit crazy. You should read some of the essays out there that explore it as a postmodern work of philosophical and political expression. One of my favorite gaming moments is getting home from work at 11PM, popping the game in, freaking out at around 10AM because of no sleep and THE COLONEL IS TALKING TO ME, then beating it and immediately running through it a second time, start to finish, in three hours.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

MG1 and MG2 are very hard to go back to, not really worth your time. The Twin Snakes however is one of the best games on the Gamecube, you should play that game! People hate it for being so over the top and crazy, but man I love all of that.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh hell yeah, I'm on a massive MGS kick these days. That HD collection got me waaay back into it. I even got my roommate to play though MGS and MGS2, and he's working on 3.

MGS2 is one of the few games I think people should either play through or sit through twice, mostly because of how crazy that game becomes when you know why everything is happening.

MGS3 is still my favorite though. In terms of story-telling, it's the height of the series. But I think Peace Walker has the best gameplay with it's fairly refined combat scheme and pokemon-esque collection mechanics.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai

SSSSSSSNAAAAAAAAAAKKKKEEEE!!!!

If you liked "The Pain" Just wait until you get to the other bosses.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nightriff

@Artigkar: Please don't spoil 3 for me. This is probably the first MGS game I know very little about going in so it's a whole new experience for me not knowing exactly (or close to) what happens next. Of course I have my suspicions of the outcomes and I hope to kill The Boss, that's all I care about at the moment.

@StarvingGamer: I liked 2 because of the craziness, the end was great and weird and went all hippie like and just....fuckin weird man. But my biggest problem with 2 was there were some boring parts, I don't remember exactly what part but I think it was after the....Fatman? The bomber guy, it just slowed way down, or it felt that way to me for 2 or 3 hours and it was actually hard to go through, something that hasn't happen in the previous games I've played. I also think the vague-ness of Dead Cell in the beginning and the delay of Solidus till the 2/3 portion of the game just didn't give me enough motivation of wanting to see it through during that portion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.