Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Difference between Easy and Normal?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I assume this is the standard less damage to you and more to enemies and bosses. Is it any less stressful on easy if i just want to play it for the story?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Rations heal you fully, bosses are easier - and you gain full health back after beating one. You can farm items by leaving and returning to the area. Snake takes small amounts of damage. I'd recommend Normal just for the lack of cake walk and not experiencing the game like you probably should.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Quarters

Yeah, it's a decent amount easier(though Normal isn't that punishing, Drew just...struggled), you get hurt less for sure. Don't know if you do more damage or not. If you do, I don't think it's incredibly significant, just enough to move things along a little quicker. I also want to say that you might start out with more health. However, I might just be thinking of the remake, Twin Snakes, where you don't get the health upgrades after every boss. That was a carry over from the old MSX games, which they dropped by the time MGS2 came out. Either way, yeah, Easy will make it more relaxing for just checking out the story.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Jedted

@baillie: I did play it to completion on Normal. I like replaying games on easy when i just want to experience the crazy story.

Does it make the Ocelot Torture scene any more forgiving?

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedted: I feel the same way about playing through them sometimes. To answer your question, I believe it does make it easier by making it so you don't need to mash buttons so fast. I also believe there are less guards throughout the game when you play on easy.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jedted: I recall there being one less sequence in the torture scene if you go from hard to easy, but I can't recall whether it's from hard to normal or normal to easy.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedted: Yeah, it makes it easier to withstand. MGS2 is the same way with the similar scene in that. The higher the difficulty, the more you have to hammer the button.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will echo other people here and say you should play on Normal. I would only suggest easy to someone if they are really new to video games.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bceagles128: There's only 3 torture button mash sequences on Easy, 1 less than Normal. I think that's the right numbers, either way, yes it is easier.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jedted: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/differences-in-difficulty-levels-in-metal-gear-solid-1998.453545807/

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I remember MGS2 has different item placement depending on what difficulty you were on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.