Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Fans Working on Unreal Engine 4 Remake of Metal Gear Solid

TheMikFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://youtu.be/oWc2GNtBurY

www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-fan-made-metal-gear-solid-remake-trailer/1100-6433936/

https://twitter.com/GameDevCallum/status/688855465862787072

I figured you guys would want to know about this.

Edit: Trying to do this on mobile is a nightmare.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Konami has so far acknowledged the project and didn't immediately C&D him, but that doesn't mean they won't 2 years in. If I were to commit to this kind of project, I would keep it under wraps until the day I'd release it.

TheMikFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you think by him jumping the gun on going public, he shot himself in the foot? I don't know man. I mean I get that Konami are going in a different direction but can they afford to keep pissing people off?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I like the inexplicable sparks at the beginning.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I want a list of the number of fan remakes that have actually come out versus the number that were hit with the C&D hammer or fizzled out due to various reasons.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Quarters

I'd rather just play The Twin Snakes. They should mess with Metal Gear 1 or Metal Gear 2 instead.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By The_Nubster

That world was made for a very specific kind of game. I'm not really interested in photorealistic warehouses and storerooms, honestly. The personality and direction that MGS had isn't improved in any meaningful way by being better-looking. To me, MGS4 closed the loop on Shadow Moses perfectly well and Twin Snakes scratched my itch for a "different" take on it. Just not quite seeing what this ends up being that makes it stand out.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They better have codecs in there or I will order the C&D myself!

Also I hope they have THAT trap door.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12 sweep  Moderator

Those character models look rough. I'm highly sceptical about their ability to match the original MGS mechanics, too.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow that looks pretty amazing for a fan remake, but no way Konami lets this be released.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eh, I'll probably get in on this. Though after watching the trailer, I agree with some others' sentiments: I don't see what would make this stand out alongside the original and The Twin Snakes.

Also, guys... Come on. Did the C&D on that MG remake not clue you in? Keep it under wraps until the day before release, then just post the torrent link on 4chan or something. Complete global saturation in seconds. Either that, or do it the way the RE2.5 guys are doing it: announce it and then immediately go radio silent and finish development in some underground bunker in Venezuela.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, is it going to be top-down again? Because I felt that even being able to aim in first person breaks MGS1.

The problem with modern remakes of MGS1 is that people forget that MGS1 is really just MG2 with polygonal graphics. That is, a top-down shooter that's polygonal instead of 2D; and I feel that most of the game was designed with that in mind.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should do a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 instead

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or Konami only step in if it's something they can make reasonable money from. This won't.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: There was another group that was indeed trying to do that, but for some reason or another the project was cancelled. I don't know whether or not it was because of Konami. But yes, if anything those games are the ones that should be re-made. Although I really don't have faith in any fan-made video game of the Metal Gear variety.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, am I the only one here that thinks it looks really bad? As in, looks like a campy cgi intro from a videogame on the late 90s?

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still enjoy the original, always thought Twin Snakes new cutscenes were too over the top even for metal gear. Would love an update on this though.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I half expect any necro to these kinds of topics to be news of a Cease and Desist notice by the publisher.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There has been way too many of these projects and they all end up being abandoned if not forced down. No surprise this went the way of the dodo as well.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cmblasko

I've been around long enough to see these projects come and go to wonder why people spend their time and effort on these things when they could just take what they like about the subject matter and make something original instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.