Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Finished MGS. What a fun experiencre

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

Finals were finished on Friday, so I took the weekend to get caught up on finishing MGS since I last played (Tuesday if I remember).  

Where I left off after beating Psycho Mantis, things were getting interesting, especially after that rather interesting fight...until I had to go back to find a sniper rifle. Already I could tell that backtracking is NOT something that goes well with Metal Gear Solid, especially when it's forced. After having to force myself past that, I reached the game changing moment, the torture sequence. I already heard about the whole button mashing thing, so luckily I had a pencil ready to beat that O button (I used the eraser side). I used the same tactic on Star Fox Adventure's "Test of Strength" minigames, only then I rolled it quickly across the A button, since PS buttons are pressure sensetive, where as Gamecube buttons aren't. 

Even with my pencil in hand, 2 rounds in the first session my arm could not take anymore, and I already had lost half my health. So I took the weak route and gave in. I didn't want to get a game over, so I gave in at the expense of Meryl's life. 

I go through the rest of the game, catch a cold from Mr. Uncontrollable Bowels Johnny Sasaki, repel down the Communications Tower on a rope, and I had to download an older emulator because the latest version I was using cannot really switch discs, or in this case BIN files. Broke the flow a little bit. 

During the time since I last left off, all the way to just before the REX boss fight, I screwed around a bit and found some fun easter eggs. Smoking cigerrates and calling the Colonel's frequency gets you a lecture on why smoking's bad from Naomi. Starring at Meryl makes her blush, and one I read up prior on Gamefaqs, punching Meryl at the end of the cavern with wolf dogs, hide inside one of the cardboard box and a wolf dog will take a piss on it...and then they LIKE you. I found it rather silly. 

And just before I could fight REX, I had to do another backtracking objective, and I think it was a bit worse than going for the sniper rifle. After that, things got back on track, the finale got extremely awesome. It got more and more exciting with each segment. First REX, then a one on one fist fight, all the way to escaping from the base, with Liquid STILL alive. I had reached the end, but since I gave into the torture, it was not completely satisfying. But atleast I got the Stealth Camoflauge from Otacon. 

Then I looked up the different rewards online, and I saw that saving Meryl gets you a bandana which grants unlimited ammo. Cool...but wait a minute. 

Since the game has you sneaking around for the majority of the game, the Stealth Camo seems like a much better choice than unlimited ammo, even if you want the good ending. Oh well, I guess that's the trade off. 

That was all on Saturday. Sunday I played through the game again, skipping all cutscenes I could and speeding through codec conversations, and I didn't care how many game overs I got, I was gonna get the good ending. I did, and thanks to the Stealth Camo, it made things go by faster. Only for the ending on my second run did I watch the ending scenes, just to see the difference, though there wasn't a whole lot. But it was more fitting with Meryl than Otacon 

There definetely is a difference in enjoyment with and without cutscenes. Just the game by itself, without the cutscenes, codec conversations, or even the easter eggs isn't as fun. I found myself taking more breaks on my second run than my first, as it became a bit boring for me. Maybe it was added by the fact I had finished it not to long ago, I dunno. Though the cinematics and story really do give this game alot of purpose, versus just having the regular gameplay on its own. 

Yeah, it's another complaint added to the ones in my initial impressions, but I do think that Metal Gear Solid was a very AWESOME experience. The cutscenes didn't really detract from it, even with them being rather long. It just fit very well. 

Now I want my hands on the other games. And looking at the improvements made in the sequels, I'm pretty much sold on the entire series.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Finals were finished on Friday, so I took the weekend to get caught up on finishing MGS since I last played (Tuesday if I remember).  

Where I left off after beating Psycho Mantis, things were getting interesting, especially after that rather interesting fight...until I had to go back to find a sniper rifle. Already I could tell that backtracking is NOT something that goes well with Metal Gear Solid, especially when it's forced. After having to force myself past that, I reached the game changing moment, the torture sequence. I already heard about the whole button mashing thing, so luckily I had a pencil ready to beat that O button (I used the eraser side). I used the same tactic on Star Fox Adventure's "Test of Strength" minigames, only then I rolled it quickly across the A button, since PS buttons are pressure sensetive, where as Gamecube buttons aren't. 

Even with my pencil in hand, 2 rounds in the first session my arm could not take anymore, and I already had lost half my health. So I took the weak route and gave in. I didn't want to get a game over, so I gave in at the expense of Meryl's life. 

I go through the rest of the game, catch a cold from Mr. Uncontrollable Bowels Johnny Sasaki, repel down the Communications Tower on a rope, and I had to download an older emulator because the latest version I was using cannot really switch discs, or in this case BIN files. Broke the flow a little bit. 

During the time since I last left off, all the way to just before the REX boss fight, I screwed around a bit and found some fun easter eggs. Smoking cigerrates and calling the Colonel's frequency gets you a lecture on why smoking's bad from Naomi. Starring at Meryl makes her blush, and one I read up prior on Gamefaqs, punching Meryl at the end of the cavern with wolf dogs, hide inside one of the cardboard box and a wolf dog will take a piss on it...and then they LIKE you. I found it rather silly. 

And just before I could fight REX, I had to do another backtracking objective, and I think it was a bit worse than going for the sniper rifle. After that, things got back on track, the finale got extremely awesome. It got more and more exciting with each segment. First REX, then a one on one fist fight, all the way to escaping from the base, with Liquid STILL alive. I had reached the end, but since I gave into the torture, it was not completely satisfying. But atleast I got the Stealth Camoflauge from Otacon. 

Then I looked up the different rewards online, and I saw that saving Meryl gets you a bandana which grants unlimited ammo. Cool...but wait a minute. 

Since the game has you sneaking around for the majority of the game, the Stealth Camo seems like a much better choice than unlimited ammo, even if you want the good ending. Oh well, I guess that's the trade off. 

That was all on Saturday. Sunday I played through the game again, skipping all cutscenes I could and speeding through codec conversations, and I didn't care how many game overs I got, I was gonna get the good ending. I did, and thanks to the Stealth Camo, it made things go by faster. Only for the ending on my second run did I watch the ending scenes, just to see the difference, though there wasn't a whole lot. But it was more fitting with Meryl than Otacon 

There definetely is a difference in enjoyment with and without cutscenes. Just the game by itself, without the cutscenes, codec conversations, or even the easter eggs isn't as fun. I found myself taking more breaks on my second run than my first, as it became a bit boring for me. Maybe it was added by the fact I had finished it not to long ago, I dunno. Though the cinematics and story really do give this game alot of purpose, versus just having the regular gameplay on its own. 

Yeah, it's another complaint added to the ones in my initial impressions, but I do think that Metal Gear Solid was a very AWESOME experience. The cutscenes didn't really detract from it, even with them being rather long. It just fit very well. 

Now I want my hands on the other games. And looking at the improvements made in the sequels, I'm pretty much sold on the entire series.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

I prefer the Otacon ending because of the  2001 Hal/Dave joke.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

See, now aren't you glad you played it?

@Alaska_Gamer said:

"I used the same tactic on Star Fox Adventure's "Test of Strength" minigames..."
    Oh lord, I remember that.  Only button-mashing sequence in any video game I was never able to do.  Had to get my friend to do it for me.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Hey you enjoyed it all right!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @EvilTwin said:

" See, now aren't you glad you played it?

@Alaska_Gamer

said:

"I used the same tactic on Star Fox Adventure's "Test of Strength" minigames..."

Oh lord, I remember that.  Only button-mashing sequence in any video game I was never able to do.  Had to get my friend to do it for me. "
    I could never beat the ending of MGS2 on European Extreme when   

Quite literally the most frustrated I've ever been with a game and it was only a button mashing sequence, one button at that. I have never beaten it since. 

EDIT: I don't think my spoiler is working. Is it for you? It's not for me.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin
    @xyzygy: Nope. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy
    @EvilTwin: I re-did it and still doesn't work. hmmmmm.....
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Sissies!  Were you guys not around during the painful Mario Party days when you had to button mash until your hands were covered in blood!?  When the N64 controller was so painful to use that you ended up getting sore thumbs!?  I took every one of the button mashing sequences mentioned in this thread with my bare hands like a man!  (Although I don't remember the Starfox Adventures one, even though I did finish the game so I obviously did it)

Oh, and the reason, other than Persona 3 and Persona 4, that I decided to buy my PS2 in 2009 was to buy the Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection, which I did.  Love those games, but I just finished MGS and MGS2.  I'd want to play MGS3, but both of my PS2 controllers broke while playing Final Fantasy X so I need to buy a new one before I can start playing it.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin
    @xyzygy: It's working now, though, I can't recall the event in question (been awhile since I played) and furthermore I'm too much of a wimp to play an MGS game on European extreme.  

@FluxWaveZ: You need to get on that.  You need to play MGS3.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @EvilTwin: Haha, that's what I hear.  But I'm also afraid that when I finish the game I'll want to play MGS4 soo badly but I won't be able to because I don't own a PS3... :(
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Slippy
    @xyzygy:  

Use a turbo controller.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EvilTwin
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @EvilTwin: Haha, that's what I hear.  But I'm also afraid that when I finish the game I'll want to play MGS4 soo badly but I won't be able to because I don't own a PS3... :( "
    Man, that's the worst. :( 

Just persevere, someday you will be able to play it!
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @Slippy said:
    " @xyzygy:   Use a turbo controller. "
    Speaking of which, is what Ocelot says in the torture sequence true, about the auto fire deal (or turbo in this case, they're basically the same thing)?
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

nice, i plan on playing 4 on my winter break.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

Glad you enjoyed the game, I imagine it still holds up pretty well. 

I haven't played the GC version, Twin Snakes. I would love to own a copy as part of my MGS collection one day.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slippy
    @Alaska_Gamer:  

It's only true for turbo controllers made before the game was released. So any that came out after 1998 will probably work. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.