Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

How would Snake get the hostages out?

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KevinK

I'm a big MGS fan ever since the first one, and I'm not ragging on the game for this, but something has bothered me since 1998. How Snake was supposed to get the hostages out? For a "solo sneaking mission" where the guy was inserted by submarine, it doesn't seem like there's easy way to get the hostages out. And having a bureaucrat and a fat guy follow Snake around would probably give him away. Was there a throwaway Codec line somewhere that explained this?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Benny

I assume by chopper, the American military wasn't that far out considering where the sub was and how close shadow moses is to North America. Probably the same way the Darpa Chief and Baker got there.

In MGS4 snake goes back there via chopper too, so it must be within range of a nearby base.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

nanomachines.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Covering crotch and saying There's no time explain.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Boxes, many, many boxes.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

haha you know I never thought about this.

@benny said:

I assume by chopper, the American military wasn't that far out considering where the sub was and how close shadow moses is to North America. Probably the same way the Darpa Chief and Baker got there.

In MGS4 snake goes back there via chopper too, so it must be within range of a nearby base.

How you going to get in and out with that Hind D (!?!?) flying around?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BisonHero

haha you know I never thought about this.

@benny said:

How you going to get in and out with that Hind D (!?!?) flying around?

I'm no expert, but doesn't just about every jet fighter ever have superiority over a Hind D?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm no expert, but doesn't just about every jet fighter ever have superiority over a Hind D?

You're right, but if they had so much air support why weren't they helping a brother out during his mission? Probably could have used it when he was fighting a tank.

(Thinking too much about this haha)

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artelinarose

Yessir. They even send a couple in but Liquid ends up shooting down from the Hind D as a way of showing that he is the ultimate badass.

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By artelinarose

@kevink said:

Yeah, I remember that, but wasn't that their planned escape route in MGS3 not the first game?

I think he was making a joke about Peace Walker. The Fulton Recovery method is how you recruit new soldiers in Peace Walker, or rescue hostages/POWs. You use it everywhere, from the middle of the jungle to inside an underground base. The game makes fun of this as MGS games tend to do.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pr1mus

@kevink said:

Yeah, I remember that, but wasn't that their planned escape route in MGS3 not the first game?

I think he was making a joke about Peace Walker. The Fulton Recovery method is how you recruit new soldiers in Peace Walker, or rescue hostages/POWs. You use it everywhere, from the middle of the jungle to inside an underground base. The game makes fun of this as MGS games tend to do.

This^ :D

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

LIKE A BOSS.

Loading Video...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bisonhero said:

Yessir. They even send a couple in but Liquid ends up shooting down from the Hind D as a way of showing that he is the ultimate badass.

Do they really? I don't remember this.

Guess it's been a while (well it has been a while).

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia said:

@bisonhero said:

It was all information conveyed over the codec from what I remember. They send two f-16s from Galena to serve as a distraction, Liquid gets in the Hind D at the very beginning of the game to "swat down a couple of bothersome flies" and takes them out.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@artemesia said:

@artisanbreads said:

@artemesia said:

@bisonhero said:

It was all information conveyed over the codec from what I remember. They send two f-16s from Galena to serve as a distraction, Liquid gets in the Hind D at the very beginning of the game to "swat down a couple of bothersome flies" and takes them out.

And in true MGS fashion, that same line, if not a similar phrasing of it, is repeated in pretty much every game. It's crazy how often the series just loves to reference itself, so much so that ''Kept you waiting, huh?'' is almost like some sort of unofficial slogan for the entire series.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By artelinarose

@yummylee said:

@artemesia said:

@artisanbreads said:

@artemesia said:

@bisonhero said:

And in true MGS fashion, that same line, if not a similar phrasing of it, is repeated in pretty much every game. It's crazy how often the series just loves to reference itself, so much so that ''Kept you waiting, huh?'' is almost like some sort of unofficial slogan for the entire series.

I remember reading in an interview a few years ago that the "Kept you waiting, huh?" lines have become a joke from Kojima as it's meant to be both Kojima and Snake talking to the audience because there is always a three or four year wait time between every MGS game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@artisanbreads said:

@artemesia said:

@bisonhero said:

Ah now that you say that line I actually do remember it. Well I guess that explains why air extraction wasn't going to be an option of Liquid can take out fucking jets haha.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He'd get them out on the Hind D, Royal Marine style:

Loading Video...

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia said:

@artisanbreads said:

@artemesia said:

@bisonhero said:

Ah now that you say that line I actually do remember it. Well I guess that explains why air extraction wasn't going to be an option of Liquid can take out fucking jets haha.

To be fair, Snake wasn't ever actually supposed to extract anyone, what with the actual mission being using Snake as a human vector for the FoxDie virus that specifically targets everyone involved in the coup & baker and the DARPA chief and what-not.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nanomachines, son.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@benny said:

@artisanbreads said:

@artemesia said:

@artisanbreads said:

@artemesia said:

@bisonhero said:

To be fair, Snake wasn't ever actually supposed to extract anyone, what with the actual mission being using Snake as a human vector for the FoxDie virus that specifically targets everyone involved in the coup & baker and the DARPA chief and what-not.

BOOM.

This.

I'm sure Snake thought there would be a chopper or extraction zone but no such plan ever existed.

Fox... die!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.