Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Is the torture sequence impossible when playing MGS on a PSP?

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

I have beaten Metal Gear Solid more times then i can remember on the Playstation, and I had been able to get past the torture sequence without having to do anything weird to push the circle button fast, but I have spent the last couple of hours repeatedly dying at this part when I play it on my PSP.  I think it's because of the ability for the Playstation controller to vibrate during this part that makes it easier.  Also the buttons on the PSP behave a little bit differently (I'm using a PSP-1001), and I think that the face buttons might not be as sensitive as they are on a full sized Playstation controller.  I guess that I could just export my save back over to my PS3 and play it with a real controller, but that would be admitting defeat.

Has anyone been able to get past the torture part using a PSP, and how did you do it?
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

I have the same problem.

I've tried mapping two buttons to function as circle so I could use two hands, that doesn't work.
    I've tried mapping all the buttons to function as circle, then proceeded to mash the shit outta my PSP and that doesn't work.
    I've tried telling Ocelot to go F**K himself, but surprisingly that doesn't work either.

I refuse to play on PS3 as it looks bad, and that would be admitting defeat like you said. Any help would be awesome.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh. Has nothing to do with vibration, it's just as easy on both. You just got old or something.

Maybe you're holding it wrong? Left hand as normal, rest the whole thing steady on your lap, put your right index finger on circle, jerk rapidly.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

MGS came out 11 years ago... God, maybe i am just getting old.

Anyways, what I ended up doing was unscrewing the top ball thing-y off of my NES Advantage and slid that across the circle button a bunch of times.  Not only did that not work, but now my PSP is nice and scratched on and around the circle button.  Time to admit defeat...
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Matt_

I did this on the PS3 but I'm not sure it would work for the PSP: I wrapped the non-writing end of a sharpie with a white t-shirt and slid the side across the button repeatedly. It worked really well. I noticed some of the black from the controller rubbed off onto the shirt though. I chose a sharpie because the ends are very smooth and I figured it would not scratch the controller with some cloth in between. It left the controller in pretty much the same condition.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daryl

Sounds funny that you have to do anything but press the circle button.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss

It seems crazy to me that you have to devise all of these crazy solutions to something that should really not be a problem.

Insanity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.