Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Metal Gear Solid

Hyperzypherian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Hyperzypherian

Recently my friend Brian and I played through Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne. I've always been aware of MGS but not until I began following a certain sketch comedy group have I actually taken an interest in the series. Some say to play the games in chronological order and start with the third game, but I really wanted to start with the PSOne classic. Brian had the idea to race to the end of the game, which I thought sounded like fun, so we did it.

From the very beginning of the game, the story is interesting and the stealth gameplay solid; I knew I was in for something great. The story is wonderfully developed throughout the game with the long cutscenes that the series has become known for. You would think that this might take away from the action of the game, but it really doesn't. The cutscenes are usually just as exciting and interesting as the rest of the game. Probably the most commendable aspect of MGS is its ability to maintain an incredible story, all the while still sporting top-notch gameplay that stays fun to this day.

The graphics in MGS have not aged nearly as gracefully. All of the textures are incredibly low-resolution. You can spot pixels from quite a far distance. This is all time-relative, however. There is no facial animation in the game, all of the characters just sort of bob their heads as they speak. It looks quite silly and I actually laughed out loud several times during the cutscenes. All of this is time-relative, however, the everything makes an astounding improvement in the GC remake, Twin Snakes; I'm unsure if MGS was graphically on-par with other games at the time.

Throughout the game Brian was usually a bit ahead of me in the race, and it stayed that way until the final boss, in which I took the lead and won. The ending wraps things up nicely and it's pretty satisfying. If you've never played this before, you need to pick this up. From beginning to end this game is still incredible. Not to mention it's probably the best story I've ever experienced in a game. I can't wait to play through the rest of the series. And for only $10 on PSN, it's a steal.

Hyperzypherian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hyperzypherian

Recently my friend Brian and I played through Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne. I've always been aware of MGS but not until I began following a certain sketch comedy group have I actually taken an interest in the series. Some say to play the games in chronological order and start with the third game, but I really wanted to start with the PSOne classic. Brian had the idea to race to the end of the game, which I thought sounded like fun, so we did it.

From the very beginning of the game, the story is interesting and the stealth gameplay solid; I knew I was in for something great. The story is wonderfully developed throughout the game with the long cutscenes that the series has become known for. You would think that this might take away from the action of the game, but it really doesn't. The cutscenes are usually just as exciting and interesting as the rest of the game. Probably the most commendable aspect of MGS is its ability to maintain an incredible story, all the while still sporting top-notch gameplay that stays fun to this day.

The graphics in MGS have not aged nearly as gracefully. All of the textures are incredibly low-resolution. You can spot pixels from quite a far distance. This is all time-relative, however. There is no facial animation in the game, all of the characters just sort of bob their heads as they speak. It looks quite silly and I actually laughed out loud several times during the cutscenes. All of this is time-relative, however, the everything makes an astounding improvement in the GC remake, Twin Snakes; I'm unsure if MGS was graphically on-par with other games at the time.

Throughout the game Brian was usually a bit ahead of me in the race, and it stayed that way until the final boss, in which I took the lead and won. The ending wraps things up nicely and it's pretty satisfying. If you've never played this before, you need to pick this up. From beginning to end this game is still incredible. Not to mention it's probably the best story I've ever experienced in a game. I can't wait to play through the rest of the series. And for only $10 on PSN, it's a steal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.