Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Playing alongside Solid Scanlon

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Metal Gear Scanlon incentivized me to go back to this game. I started playing it a year ago and finally came back to it with the beginning of their video series. I'm a little bit ahead now, because I want to see that stuff myself first and I can't wait for the episode when Drew eventually uses ketchup to fool the guard. So dumb.

I'm having a blast with MGS. It has aged pretty well and still plays fine while in analog mode. Since I got the game from the Austrian/German PS Store, I don't have choice when it comes to the language. I guess they didn't have enough space to fit in multiple languages on the CDs back then and it's only playable in German. And boy, what a translation this is. It's not just the translation, but the delivery as well. It's just bad enough to be enjoyable, but I can't wait to play the sequels in English.

Anyway, is anyone else playing the game right now?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I popped in VR Missions once they got to the ninja.

Come to think of it, if Drew played a couple a of the VR missions on the disc, he'd be doing waaaaay better.

Honestly, I'd watch an episode dedicated to pure VR training.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I started playing the game for the first time on the same day the first video came out. Got about 4/5 hours in during the first week and I really like it despite the anime (or maybe not anime) bullshit. I just really have a problem with picking back up a game like this with no chapter structure or well defined stopping points, It just kind of keeps on going, despite the very handy story recap every time you reboot it. I am now in the problem zone where every day I don't play it there is less chance I will actually complete it. I got up to the bit where Meryl gets shot by a sniper and I now have to back track through the complex to find a weapon of my own. The thought of actually going through with it is just keeping me from diving back in. Will probably watch the videos up to the bit I stopped and then pick it back up again.

But the game is actually really interesting. One thing I have noted from my playthrough is that it does a really good job of quantifying your progress through both boss battles, which are well introduced with a certain allure during the opening scene, and the progressing keycards. They always make me feel like I am chipping away towards the final goal. Its well done considering the task given to you at the start of the game is basically "please Snake honey, can you stop a nuclear battle from happening? That'd be great, now off you pop!". Pretty daunting if you ask me!

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I actually started playing the collection about 2-3 months before this video series started. It had always been a big blank spot in my gaming history. The only one I ever played was MGS for the PS1, and I couldn't remember the story at all.

I beat MGS and MGS 2 in about a month, and I still need to move onto the others. I've been slacking, though.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BatmanBatman

My plans are : finish to watch them play MGS (which I never played myself), hit MGS2 again and try to finish it this time around, and then replay 3 and 4 before 5 comes out.

I'm not kidding, I'm gonna do that.

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lausebub

I usually save after a long a cutscene or after a boss battles. The feel of progress reminds me a bit of a Metroid game. Sure, the keycards aren't as cool as the graple beam or super millies, but they still give you access to older areas. After beating Sniper Wolf and getting out of the cell I backtracked a bit and found Body Armor and Medicine. Speaking of items, how the hell did Drew and Dan miss the thermo-thingie? It's incredibly helpful in most areas!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching Drew play some MGS makes me really want to go back to one of them. Maybe Ill give MGS4 another try since thats the only one I was disappointed in.

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

A few weeks ago I had a dirt little secret: despite owning and having known pretty much everything about MGS1 for 15 years, I had never played it the whole way through. I watched my brother play through it as well as a bunch of speedruns, but when I was younger it was too intimidating for me to play by myself and I just never got around to it as an adult. After the first episode of Metal Gear Scanlon a couple of weeks ago I decided to put that notion to bed and start playing the game along with Drew and Dan but staying a couple of hours ahead, although I ended up playing through the whole game before they'd even reached Gray Fox. It's still a phenomenal game that, like Dan has said, has aged better than most other PS1 games.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

I don't have MGS1, but I am finishing up my playthrough of the series so watching Drew play the first game has been a nice treat. I'm appreciating Act 4 of MGS4 (where I'm at currently) a lot more now that I've seen him play through this stuff.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got it on PSN almost immediately after I bought a PS3 late-ish through the cycle 2010 or so. I got stuck on The Raven boss battle(not the tank) somehow and never went back to it for some reason. Metal Gear Scanlon inspired me to go back and finish it, only took 3 attempts at Raven and I was trucking on forward. i don't remember him being a problem when I was a kid...

Anyway I really enjoyed what I played but the mounted gun sequence was god-awful.

BeachGaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's inspired me to order the Legacy collection. I really want to re-play 3. I think I have it in my Big Pile 'O Games somewhere but I have nothing to play it on.

GreatDane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Never played a metal gear game. Only got a 360. Bought the Hd collection of 2 og 3. Lovning 2 so far. Hoping they gonna play Them too.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Hunter5024

I've intended to get through Metal Gear for years, I almost started my quest earlier this year when Ground Zeroes came out, but Metal Gear Scanlon put me over the edge. Bought Twin Snakes and beat it in like a day and a half. As soon as I get my ps3 back I'm going to get the HD collection. I intend to get through all of these games by the time Phantom Pain comes out.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yep, Metal Gear Scanlon inspired me to pick up the Legacy Collection. I just beat Sniper Wolf and man, this game is really reminding me of Deus Ex: HR; great story, interesting characters, aggressively shitty boss fights.

dendro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By dendro

@lausebub Jep I´m in the same boat as you that I´m stuck with the pretty terrible Austrian/German version because the PSN-Store only sells that one. And BOOOYY is it corny my favorite this far

(I´m just at the point where i have seen Rex for the first time) is when Snake asks Otacon if he is a hacker you will know what I mean when you hear it :)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I know a bunch of people would be pissed but I really would love them to release a legacy collection for the PS4. I want to play these old games too but I already boxed up the PS3 and I don't want to get something for a "dead" system - or one I won't ever use really.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I think a lot of people would be happy with a legacy collection on PS4. That's what we all thought we would get with "Metal Gear Solid Collection 2014" until that turned out to be a clothing line. I own the first three games in both digital and physical formats and I'd still rebuy them on a legacy collection for the PS4.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played MGS like a year ago so I still feel pretty fresh on it. (GOD WHAT A FUCKING NERD BRAG I'M NOT POUD OF THIS OR ANYTHING IT JUST HAPPENED) I'm really looking for a reason to play MGS2 again. I haven't played any of the HD stuff just looking for enough of a reason to buy it again cause I bought/sold it but only played peacewalker stuff didn't even though MGS2/3 before I traded it in. but i want to buy it again.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started again over the weekend and I'm up to the Hind fight. It seems like the only considerable gameplay you get is when you backtrack but, in spite of this, I still enjoy the hell out of it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided

I still haven't finished Twin Snakes or MGS2 or MGS3 or MGS4 or Peace Walker, despite having owned each of them for years.

I am still super hyped for PP/GZ on PC, though!

I'm really enjoying watching Dan and Drew slog their way through the original game, warts and all, seeing their two distinct takes on the hows and whys of the game. Reflected and contrasted with my own opinions of the game, as well as my memories of the immediate feelings I had when I played it in 1999.

(I kinda wanna play it again now...hmm...)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jesus_phish: I think some people would be annoyed because they just released that legacy collection. But out of all the HD re-releases, this is the only one I'd really want to have. I'd spent a fat stack o' cash if they had a MGS5 collection edition with all the past releases bundled together maybe with some cool Snake figure or some trash.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think the next bundle they should do is a Ground Zeroes / Phantom Pain bundle. I'd be stunned if they didn't.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: It'll probably happen in 2016...year after MGSV is out.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I reckon they'll have a digital package on Phantom Pain's release.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went through MGS1, 2 and 3 over the summer break, so I only need to play thorugh MGS4 then I'm up to date. About halfway through with that one. Thinking about picking up Revengeance, but I have so much shit to play at this point, I don't know if I'm going to bother with that one.

Still, enjoying to watch Scanlon suffer through MGS in pretty much the same ways I did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.