Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Survive

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 20, 2018

A survival-focused spin-off of the Metal Gear series, as one of Big Boss's loyal soldiers must traverse a hostile alternate dimension filled with zombie-like creatures.

Metal Gear Survive single player trailer

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Konami has released a trailer, showing some of things you can do in the single player of Metal Gear Survive. I think it looks like you could have a fun time playing this. I'm just not sure if the Metal Gear licens is a good fit for what this game is supposed to be, but I totally understand why they wanted to keep using it.

Also, any bets on a battle royale mode being implemented to the multiplayer? I'm sure Konami has it on the list of things they'd like to cash in on.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think Battle Royale mode is a shoe-in. This looks weird and janky and potentially pretty neat. I think the MGS banner is being used specifically so you can Fulton zombies.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheRealTurk

*Extremely action movie trailer-guy voice*

In a world . . . where somebody hit the lever. And ushered in the apocalypse . . .

From the company . . . that brought you classics like Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill . . . and then "Fuck it, we're making pachinko machines instead . . ."

Comes a game . . . with the beloved stealth gameplay of Metal Gear. But none of the memorable characters. Or topically thematic story. Or the director because we fired that guy.

Guide . . . generic military characters with tenuous connections to the events of prior games through a desert hellscape. That's inexplicably populated by crystal zombies.

Rub . . . bits of wood together to somehow create metal girders and future death ray technology

Build . . . a base to keep equally generic NPC characters safe. In a process that totally won't involve any predatory microtransactions to make the process go faster. We promise, hands on hearts.

Metal Gear Survive. Hit this lever. Coming soon.

EDIT: I should clarify that this look potentially neat. I just don't understand why it needs to be a Metal Gear game beyond a cash grab from the branding. If you're going to put the effort into it, I'd rather just get an actual ending to or continuation of MGSV.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cerberus3dog

I thought this looked like fun, goofy antics. That slip n' slide got me to laugh.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, they really are just reusing everything from MGSV huh? Even the environments are the same assets with a different coat of paint (or the same coat, in a lot of cases).

I mean the game's obviously gonna play great because of that, but I'm also not even remotely interested in the stuff they've shown. Call me when they make a Monster Hunter-like with multiplayer fights against Metal Gears and/or OSP.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

100 Snakes on a plane drop onto an island?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually looks like a pretty cool mod for MGSV, too bad they are probably going to sell it for full price. Also, if there is no metal gear in the game why is this called metal gear? Probably would have done better taking that name off entirely and just making a generic military zombie game.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

It's Undead Nightmare, Metal Gear Solid edition. An expansion sold as a seperate game, and I say no thanks. I have had my fill of zombie games.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoo nelly that is some early 2000's ass voice acting.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, this looks like some silly fun as someone with no attachment to the Metal Gear name whatsoever.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Bollard

I've never seen a game that screams "ASSET FLIP" as aggressively as this does.

The problem I have is some of the ideas behind this game don't actually look terrible. But the part where they forced the MGS name onto it and re-used the map, animations, sound effects... everything from MGSV basically, that rubs me the wrong way.

pompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else this looks like metal gear :dead rising? I'm totally fine with that if it means you can craft weapons and costumes from the metal gear series.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Take out the "Metal Gear" name, and this game looks absolutely fine. Base building looks like it could be a little wonky... I'm all for the MGSV engine/gameplay being used in another game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I can make something more interesting than that protagonist then this might be fun.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompa said:

Does anyone else this looks like metal gear :dead rising? I'm totally fine with that if it means you can craft weapons and costumes from the metal gear series.

Yeah I got that vibe too, they should call it... Metal Gear Rising.

Also, they should hire that Kojima guy to direct the trailer.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm.....probably going to pick this game up(?).

I mean, Metal Gear Solid V's greatest strength was that it was fun to play, and this game looks fun. Yeah, there's the whole Kojima and Konami thing, but if this game plays as well as MGSV, then there's a good chance that I will like this game too.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

They lost me at crafting...and base-building....and zombies...and blatantly re-used MGSV assets...and bland-ass characters....and what looks like a non-existent story. I suppose there are potential fun shenanigans to be had here, but this largely looks like they cobbled together a bunch of gameplay features that have been done better elsewhere and/or completely played out in other games over the years.

I mean, even if you look at it as a silly "let's fuck with these NPCs in various ways" sandbox game (which seems to be the most promising aspect of it), we live in a world where HITMAN exists. Metal Gear Survive seems like a thing where clips of open world jank are going to be the highlight of it, and I just don't see it holding people's interest for long.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Considering the story sucked in MGS5 and everything else was good, this has the possibility of being fun. Looks decent enough.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

"Well, we already have the FOX engine and all these assets, why not just use those?"

I'd play this, sure. Metal Gear Dead Rising Revengeace. I like the idea of this world being what's on the otherside of the wormholes, and am okay with the story lookin to be a barebones "survive, regroup, escape" sort of thing. The whole thing feels like a direct-to-video sequel to some big hit. Tremors comes to mind for some reason. Probably the environment. Was Tremors actually a hit? Cause it was in my family.

Also...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This actually looks like a pretty cool mod for MGSV, too bad they are probably going to sell it for full price. Also, if there is no metal gear in the game why is this called metal gear? Probably would have done better taking that name off entirely and just making a generic military zombie game.

I dont know what the prices are like in the US but you can pre-order the game from between £20-£30 in the UK.

I'm not the biggest fan of crafting crap but I love Metal Gear with or without Kojima and thought MGS V played great so I will probably play this at some point.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami is only slightly below EA in terms of companies I have no desire to ever buy a game from again. It helps that this game will most likely be garbage as all the talent left the studio with Kojima. As del Toro said "Fuck Konami".

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nos that's a boring trailer If I ever saw one. This looks painfully generic.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They would be stupid to not do a battle royal mode. Most gameplay is perfect for that genre.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

this trailer took me from 0% interest to about 20%. It kinda reminds me of state of decay so that might be good. i hope it turns out good but i'm not expecting much.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like most places have it listed as $39.99, which is kind of surprising, though I wonder how they will shoe horn microtransactions into this one. After all, don't forget, MGS5 had bad insurance in it...

Anyway it looks...fine? The problem with MGS5 was that the gameplay was great but the map and mission design was bland and the story was relegated to tapes in a lot of cases. Throwing a bunch of zombies on the existing map isn't really gonna do much to fix that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.