Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Survive

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 20, 2018

A survival-focused spin-off of the Metal Gear series, as one of Big Boss's loyal soldiers must traverse a hostile alternate dimension filled with zombie-like creatures.

TGS Gameplay Demo

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Looks okay I guess? These arent my kind of games but I could see someone who's really into COD zombies liking this.

But much like the zombies mode in that game I cant help but think "wouldnt it be easier to just make regular co-op levels?" Probably not.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love coop games and I love mgsv. Don't care about zombies but this looks interesting so far. Still need to see more but it could be really cool as long as the eventual gross microtransactions are only cosmetic.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

They're using a lot of assets from MGS5. Even more than I expected.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks good. Co-op is what I wanted from a MGSV multiplayer mode and this looks like it could be fun to play with other people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Kind of cool they are updating and using systems from older MGS games such as the healing from MGS 3. Those enemies look boring as hell to fight against though.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm just bummed that "co-op MGSV" had to be saddled with boring zombies. The mechanics and big open areas of MGSV could've led to a really cool co-op experience, but instead of that we get sneaking up on zombies and then building fences around a bombed out building. A building that I am pretty sure was taken almost exactly out of MGSV.

I do think the way that fence bent as the zombies were climbing over each other was neat.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how they get absorbed through a wormhole to an alternate reality that looks exactly like Afghanistan with foggy weather. The blatant reuse of assets and generally vapid approach to this whole game makes it come across as one of those Chinese copyright infringing games.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get the complaining or surprise about reusing assets. Phantom Pain used assets from Ground Zeroes, expansions use assets from the main game all the time. The game isn't full price, it's not a sequel. I mean, people loved ODST and that was a single player with only reused assets and a coop mode with reused assets. Kind of just seems people want to be mad to be mad.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They're using a lot of assets from MGS5. Even more than I expected.

I guess they have to to save money and also to stay close to the MGSV franchise, wich will probably get some more money in from the fans.

MGS V is a great game to play. It has it's obvious problems storywise and what not but the pure gameplay is just fun and I hope this keeps that. That's the make or break of my interest in this game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol this looks like a fan mod. They basically took my least favorite part if the game (the skulls) and made it the whole game.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This could be decent as long as it's not full price, which I believe they have said it won't be. The defensive base area looks like it was pulled right out of MGS5 so again, it'll be okay if it's like 20 bucks.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I love MGSV, sure I'll play something that is MGSV, but worse. It's like an entire game based around the Wandering Puppet side ops, because that was everyone's favourite part about MGSV.

It's also almost the exact same base from "A Hero's Way" in Afghanistan; what, did they just happen to get transported to that very specific part of the world? What a joke. It looks like MGO DLC at best.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ripelivejam

why did it have to be zombies though? couldnt they have just made co op sneaking missions with the same enemies even if there is no story context? oh yeah, konami.

i should also go back to mgsv. fired it up briefly the other day after awhile of not playing it and it was like second nature. controls are literal butter, literally.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By flatblack

This whole thing makes me feel pretty icky in general but man...the gameplay in MGSV was so good.

I agree with the sentiment that the game would have been so much better off as a co-op MGSV with regular human enemies rather than zombies. Setting up coordinated stealth takedowns and base raids with four people using all the MGSV mechanics would have been great.

This really looks like they intended it as MGO DLC and decided to spin it out into its own game as a cash grab.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By The_Ruiner

Fucking god damn you Konami!! All I wanted from MGS V was a bow and a machete/sword. I finally get it and it's in this?!?! Dammit...

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WynnDuffy

It's striking how generic MGS5 looks when you replace Snake.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This looks really lame gameplay wise, as expected. Get rid of all the cool AI that was maybe the best part of the whole game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It almost seems like some other development team or division at Konami was playing around with 'the engine' for the the past few years and made a zombie game. Then in a panic Konami said, "Well, find a way to make this have the Metal Gear name so we can put this out!"

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the gameplay of MGS5 too much to not be interested in this, depending on how much content there is would determine the price tag, but considering how much of the core design is being reused i assume it would be discounted.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Metal Gear Solid V ended up sucking, and this will probably end up sucking. I'd give me left foot for a good game in the Fox Engine. Man, what a piece of wasted potential.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro: MGS5 was great, you guys

Con: MGS5 was great, you guys

Still, I can't help but want to give it a chance. Maybe it'll be like Undead Nightmare in RDR. Maybe.

I eagerly await the end-game revelation that the whole thing actually took place on the back balcony of the Medical platform.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is practically a PC-like mod, but with zero effort in creating new assets.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I like the ability to place blockades?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#24 chaser324  Moderator

Lol this looks like a fan mod.

Seriously. This is the Day Z mod of MGSV.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made a coop game based on the mechanics / maps of MGS5. It won't win any originality prices, but as someone that had a blast going through RE5 with a buddy, this could still be very entertaining. You just have to realize that it won't be a metal gear game, but a dumb fun side thing.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Eh, the online portions of MGS have never been the greatest. They had interesting ideas, but too many bugs and broken mechanics to make them worth the time. So i don't think whatever team they have left is going to make anything i care about with an online co-op zombie game. And i don't think many people on my friends list are into MGS enough to play a zombie co-op game, hell not many people where into the online in the main games either. Its an obvious cash grab trying to use the biggest name they have, using the zombie fad, and using the least amount of effort to by reusing everything they can from an existing game.

Just seams like a bad idea to try and use the MGS name to make some fast money and annoy the fans, that is if Konami are apparently still going to try and make games.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just makes me want to play the phantom pain again

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just use the Fox Engine to remake Metal Gear 1 and 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.