You have to pay $10 for another save slot.

#1 Posted by nicksmi56 (829 posts) -
#2 Edited by PDXSonic (553 posts) -

I guess there is an added benefit to playing it on PC then.

#3 Posted by TheHT (15797 posts) -

Oh fun, it's like buying character slots in MMOs, but now we can have it for everythinnnnnnnnnggggggg*melts*

I can't see this honestly becoming a widespread thing, but then again I have a tendency to underestimate the scumfuckness of businesses.

Games as a service y'all.

#4 Posted by FacelessVixen (2527 posts) -

#FucKonami strikes again.

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7089 posts) -

All they had to do was make a half-decent zombie game with the MGSV engine. It's such a simple way to print money. Despite the fervor surrounding Kojima, I would wager most people would still give it a chance.

Yet, somehow, they keep finding ways to fuck it up.

#6 Posted by OurSin_360 (6119 posts) -

I just imagine one of the bad guys from the yakuza 0 running konami.

#7 Posted by Efesell (4326 posts) -

Even the worst MMOs at least give you a handful to start with.

#8 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -

I'm really enjoying the game so far and am eager to keep playing but this should be basic functionality.

#9 Posted by mattimus_prime (237 posts) -

Man they took my issue with mgsv and said we will fix it for more money.

#10 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (735 posts) -

@theht: I kinda feel this way about Anything as a Service... I wish I could just pay for a thing and have the thing.

#11 Posted by odinsmana (982 posts) -

I just imagine one of the bad guys from the yakuza 0 running konami.

I don`t think any Yakuza bad guy has ever been as villanous as Konami.

#12 Posted by MiniPato (3011 posts) -

@odinsmana: pretty sure a bad guy in Yakuza 3 bought an orphanage and made the orphans watch him bulldoze it in front of them.

#13 Edited by Justin258 (15584 posts) -

Can't wait for Jim Sterling's rant on this one.

But seriously, fuck Konami.

#14 Posted by Busto1299 (250 posts) -

Fuck Konami

#15 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

I dont think its that bad, plenty of games have one save slot, im sure.

#16 Edited by Panfoot (313 posts) -

It's monetization of one of the most basic features in video games in general, that seems preeettty bad.

Not in the least bit spurring though, given the FOB crap from MGS5.

#17 Posted by ripelivejam (13103 posts) -

Great, another thing to get out of proportionally mad about.

#18 Posted by imhungry (1100 posts) -

This is hilariously transparent. It's like Konami figured that public opinion of them was already so low they just said 'pup it' and are trying to grab as much cash as they can.

#19 Edited by sfw44 (273 posts) -

Wow that is just silly.

#20 Posted by Humanity (18581 posts) -

Anyone that finds this surprising was really fooling themselves about how this game would turn out. These aren’t people that have the players interest in mind, the game itself is a begrudging half step for Konami to recoup its investment and earn more money.

#21 Posted by LtTibbles (157 posts) -

Is there any benefit to having multiple chracters?

#22 Posted by Jeldh (521 posts) -

@minipato: Yeah, but paying for character slots dude!

Does anyone play the game and know if theres a point of having 2 characters? are there classes and stuff? I havent played the game but from what I've seen the idea that you would want to have two characters, let alone pay for it, seems to give this game too much credit.

#23 Posted by Yesiamaduck (2523 posts) -

Paywalling basic features in a game with an RRP more than £0 is bad. I don't care how vital it is to the game it is, it's just a bad omen of things to come.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#24 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7829 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#25 Posted by gunflame88 (377 posts) -

Just no. Can't believe there are people who actually condone garbage practices like this.

#26 Posted by Max_Cherry (1578 posts) -

That's just sad.

#27 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1309 posts) -

Not all that shocking really, i want to say MGS4 had something similar, and some googling says it was added to MSGV also, but i think they at least give you 2 character slots. I was half tempted with this game since i loved how MGSV played, but its stuff like this that make me glad i passed.

#28 Posted by Humanity (18581 posts) -

@lttibbles: some people share consoles, like siblings or roommates, where multiple save slots are a necessity. Had a friend recount how he wanted to show someone Mario Odyssey from the start and apparently that game only uses 1 save slot so when he started a new game it overwrote his save without a prompt or anything.

#29 Posted by Fawkes (390 posts) -

People calling it a save slot seem like trolls trying to make it sound like something it's not. It's another character slot, not a save slot.

Also there's no reason to have more than one character, you can freely edit your appearance and once you unlock sub classes you can change them whenever.

#30 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -
#31 Posted by Rich666 (426 posts) -

The more I read about this game the more it seems like a f2p game.

#32 Edited by darkvare (1017 posts) -

@humanity: every console this days has the ability to create multiple profiles if what you want is to share the console there is no reason to share profiles since even on some consoles having ps plus means the whole console gets to play online

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#33 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4136 posts) -

It sucks. It's not a huge deal especially if you're the only one using your system but if you're in a situation where there's a few people who wanna play the game it's pretty lame. Which is a bummer cause the game seems pretty alright so far aside from a few issues that are driving me kinda nuts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#34 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

Just, why? The game already costs 40 bucks, why the fuck would you do this.

#35 Posted by LtTibbles (157 posts) -

@humanity: Oh ok so if I'm not gonna share the game it really doesn't affect the situation, there is no need for alts for storage/resource gathering, no multiple classes?

#36 Edited by Humanity (18581 posts) -

@lttibbles: Dunno about that, I don't own the game.

@darkvare I guess thats always an option, but it still doesn't make paying for extra character an O-K thing to do. Soon you will be paying extra to get access to advanced graphic options.

#37 Posted by odinsmana (982 posts) -

Not all that shocking really, i want to say MGS4 had something similar, and some googling says it was added to MSGV also, but i think they at least give you 2 character slots. I was half tempted with this game since i loved how MGSV played, but its stuff like this that make me glad i passed.

I played a lot of MGS 4 and I don`t remember having to buy save slots at all. MGS V did only have one save slot (you could actually not even start a fresh new game without manually deleting your save from the PC/console), but at launch and a few months after launch at least there was no option to purchase other save slots as far as I remember.

#38 Posted by Qrowdyy (366 posts) -

This seems like a totally scummy thing in theory, but in practice there doesn't seem to be any utility to having a second character beyond changing gender(cuz you can change your appearance in game). I still don't approve, though.

@boonsong: The $40 price tag might be the reason they feel justified in doing this. After all, they could have easily made it a full price release.

#39 Posted by CrazyBagMan (1628 posts) -

I'm certainly not surprised that Konami is making questionable choices.

#40 Edited by odinsmana (982 posts) -

@qrowdyy said:

This seems like a totally scummy thing in theory, but in practice there doesn't seem to be any utility to having a second character beyond changing gender(cuz you can change your appearance in game). I still don't approve, though.

@boonsong: The $40 price tag might be the reason they feel justified in doing this. After all, they could have easily made it a full price release.

From my understanding the game reuses the maps and a lot of assets from MGS V which is probably why they are selling it for 40$

#41 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1309 posts) -

@odinsmana: Sorry, i was comparing it to the character slots in the online portion of those games, which i find to be a better comparison here then a single player game save slot. If i remembering correctly they gave you one or two custamisable character slots, after that you could unlock more for money.

#42 Posted by odinsmana (982 posts) -

@odinsmana: Sorry, i was comparing it to the character slots in the online portion of those games, which i find to be a better comparison here then a single player game save slot. If i remembering correctly they gave you one or two custamisable character slots, after that you could unlock more for money.

Ah! My bad :) I never played the MGS 4 multiplayer (I think it was shut down by the time I played the game) so I tend to forget about it. That does seem like a decent comparison and also seems kinda shitty.

#43 Edited by tannerwams (4 posts) -

I think throwing out the "All these other games don't make me pay for extra save slots." excuse is a bad argument for why this is wrong. I am not entitled to tell a studio how they should make their game. Plenty of great games have only one save slot. In my opinion, however, I think this decision by Konami was made out of greed rather than a game design choice. So consumers have every right to be upset about this, but not because you feel so entitled as to tell them they should follow "standard" game design.

#44 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

@panfoot said:
@travisrex said:

It's monetization of one of the most basic features in video games in general, that seems preeettty bad.

Not in the least bit spurring though, given the FOB crap from MGS5.

Save scumming in a survival game should be monetised. Possibly.

#45 Posted by darkjohnny47 (277 posts) -

Doesn't bother me at ALL. and i'm still planning on buying it soon when i get paid.

I only planned on having 1 character anyway.

I only needed 1 Venom/Punished Snake in MGSV.

#46 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@darkjohnny477: im the kind of guy that likes the grind/flow, very monster huntery/ jrpg in a way. If youre into that youll love it. Ive been having a great time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
#47 Posted by deactivated-5be09b084ef21 (116 posts) -

Sony did this with MAG back in 2010. Not only did you have to pay for more save slots but it was subscription based so you had to re-up every 30 days to continue to use the space on your hard drive.

It's a shit practice but it's funny seeing how what flavour of the month dictates what people get upset about these days.

#48 Posted by CaptainBlueSky (11 posts) -

It surprises me how this game still manages to make headlines

#49 Edited by cikame (2703 posts) -

It's an ugly thing to do for sure, but besides some shared benefits i think most people won't even want to make another character.
24 hours in and really enjoying the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.