Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear

Franchise »

Tactical, Espionage, Action. A revered and long-running series directed by Hideo Kojima.

Speculate on the future of the series (mark your MGSV spoilers)

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So knowing what we know now, how do you think the series will continue?

The way I see it, there are three games that can possibly take place in the main Metal Gear timeline:

• The Boss in WWII
    • Raiden rescuing Sunny from the Patriots and becoming the cyborg ninja (the original Rising)
    • (MGSV Spoiler) Real Big Boss getting back into the good graces of the American government while secretly building Zanzibarland

If they wanted to move the timeline forward, it has to be about Sunny/Raiden's son John, right? The whole "Meme Gene Scene" thing was about what is and isn't passed to the next generation, so in order to make good on that, the new MGS has to be about the next generation. I think it'd be cool for such a game to take place in an urban cyberpunk/noir setting, combining classic MGS-style indoor infiltrations with Assassin's Creed-style "blending with crowds" stuff, all using the open-world framework that MGSV laid down. In the aftermath of MGS4, tech companies are trying to enact their own form of Control™. One such company (let's call it Evil Google) is searching for the broken source code of JD so they can re-establish the Patriots. It's up to Sunny once again to break the Control™ that technology has over the world.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ezekiel

I really, really, really hope they do no more prequels. Prequels in general are lame because there aren't many directions for the story to go. I want a futuristic sequel with a new character. Preferably a woman, because I've already played as three men.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing good, based on what Konami's doing with its other franchises these days.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pyrodactyl

They have to address the stupid dangling plot threads that are left at the end of MGS5. It's so fucking stupid. Why wouldn't they just resolve all of those in 5 so I could just ignore the inevitable soulless Konami cash grab that's gonna come next.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they use 5 as a template and just tell other stories set in the Metal Gear universe without Snake. And yeah, a female protagonist would be nice. Or a character creator.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You play as the boss in WW2 and basically just use all the mechanics from V where you are building your little army/ battalion thing up and going on missions out in open world russia and europe

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big boss themed pachinko machines.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

@pyrodactyl: Why would they?

They know they'll sell millions regardless, and more if they leave loose ends. Principles will have long since crumbled by the time the next game is announced in 8-12 months.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think the next likely move is to either cram one more game in between V and the original Metal Gear (maybe telling the story of Big Boss establishing FOXHOUND, assuming that's not what happens at the end V) or to just re-make Metal Gear but as a Metal Gear Solid game (or combining Metal Gears 1 and 2 as a larger game). Thinking as Konami, you want something easy to do, and a rehash of previously completed material sounds about right for them.

The real bastard of it is that I would probably buy a MGS VI that took you through MG1 and 2.

If they want to make another Rising game but bolt on stealth mechanics beyond hiding in a box, well, I wouldn't say no to that either (imagine a Metal Gear game with Rising's batshit combat but V's stealth mechanics. I would be INTO THAT).

Failing that, give me a game that's just about Meryl in the space between MGS1 and MGS4.

But we all know we're just getting pachi slots with Quiet's tits on them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Hit the lever!

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cronus42

Honestly, outside of a potential Rising 2 or Rising prequel, I kinda hope that the core series is done. Say what you will about Kojima being irresponsible with money and super inefficient at running a project, but he still loved these games and pored so much of his time and life into them. With the way Konami treats its properties now, I'm worried that it would end up being a massive disappointment compared to the rest.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

An elaborate Pachislot machine.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@gunstarred said:

Hit the lever!

(Snake Voice): A lever!?

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what they should do?

They should release another 2D game and call it Metal Gear 3.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I need to see a Kojimaless mgs in action before I can pass judgement. In all honesty, they should remake mgs1 with the fox engine in the style of mgsv (sans the base building stuff... Probably?) That game is old enough where it would really benefit from a full remake. Whatever they do, it would be a shame for the fox engine to go to waste.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm pretty sure Metal Gear is dead. Konami has no interest in spending what it costs to make a proper Metal Gear game, and their games business is dead in the water through their shifting priorities in gambling and "health clubs."

If anything needs to happen with Metal Gear, hopefully Kojima will buy the IP and set up shop elsewhere. Regardless, I hope Kojima sets up shop elsewhere.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By paulmako

@lucien_lachance said:

You know what they should do?

They should release another 2D game and call it Metal Gear 3.

And it should be the sequel to Snake's Revenge. And they shouldn't acknowledge anything from Metal Gear 2 onwards as existing.

I would actually be really into that.

Edit: After several minutes thinking about this I now firmly believe that a remake of Snake's Revenge leading into an alternative timeline is the best thing Konami could do.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Rising 2 pls

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Moba starring all the characters throughout the series. Drebin will be the secret shop guy.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If Kojima was still around, The Boss in WWII would be my ideal sequel. Without him, ehhhhh, let it die.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTA_Luciana

@banefirelord: Keep in mind Shuyo Murata, the true heir to the Metal Gear throne, is still there. He was the guy Kojima wanted to take over the series for 4, but fans went nuts and sent death threats (fuckin' internet), so Kojima felt he had to step in.

Also, Yoji Shinkawa and Motosada Mori are there. Kojima's not the only important Metal Gear person.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banefirelord: Keep in mind Shuyo Murata, the true heir to the Metal Gear throne, is still there. He was the guy Kojima wanted to take over the series for 4, but fans went nuts and sent death threats (fuckin' internet), so Kojima felt he had to step in.

Also, Yoji Shinkawa and Motosada Mori are there. Kojima's not the only important Metal Gear person.

I'm not so sure about that. It's not just Kojima who is being fired at the end of the year. Several key people are leaving.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Oh right, Akio Ohtsuka said they were being dissolved. Almost forgot this was Konami we were dealing with.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tomokazu Fukushima back as a writer or I'm out of this series for good. If he's in then I really don't care what the next game is, I'll be interested in it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.