Metapod is a Bug-type Pokémon that evolves from Caterpie and steadily evolves into duo type Bug/Flying-type Butterfree.
Wild Encounter Metapod almost always use the move Harden exclusively. Well trained Metapod, caught before hand as it's previous form Caterpie, are capable of leaning Tackle, Electroweb, Bug Bite, String Shot, Iron Defense.
National Pokedex No. 011
Species: Cocoon Pokemon
Ability: Shed Skin
Weight: 21.8 lbs
Route 25, Viridian Forest (Red)
Routes 24 and 25, Viridian Forest (Blue)
Viridian Forest (Yellow)
Routes 2, 30 and 31, Ilex Forest, National Park, Bug-Catching Contest (Gold)
Bug-Catching Contest (Silver)
Routes 24 and 25, Ilex Forest, Bug-Catching Contest (Crystal)
Routes 24 and 25, Viridian Forest, Pattern Bush (FireRed/LeafGreen)
Routes 2, 30 and 31, Ilex Forest, National Park, Bug-Catching Contest, Viridian Forest, Headbutt tree (HeartGold)
Bug-Catching Contest (SoulSilver)
Route 12 (White only)
Evolves at: Level 10
Metapod is the Cocoon Pokemon, resembling a chrysalis and housing within it a Caterpie that's on its way to evolving into a Butterfree.
Contrary to what the name says, there is nothing very meta about this Pokemon, and the name is a portmanteau of metamorphosis and pod.
This Pokemon is on of the first evolved forms found in the wild in Pokemon Red/Blue, but catching one is much less preferred to evolving into one.
A caught Metapod will only know Harden, whereas an evolved one will retain Tackle, making leveling much easier.
Evolves into: Butterfree
No Special Requirements
Since the first gym in Red/Blue is a rock gym, people who chose Charmander tend to take the time to evolve out a Butterfree through the painful Metapod stage because it learns Confusion early, which can be used to crush Brock's team.
|Defensive Effectiveness: |
x2 weak against fire, flying and rock attacks.
x0.5 resistant to fighting, grass and ground attacks.
Bug-type Pokémon have no immunities.
x4 super effective attacks against grass/dark, dark/psychic and grass/psychic types.
x2 super effective attacks against dark, grass and psychic types.
x0.5 less effective attacks against fighting, fire, flying, ghost, poison and steel types.
x0.25 less effective attacks against fire/fighting, poison/fighting, fighting/steel, fire/flying, fire/steel, ghost/flying, poison/flying, steel/flying, and ghost/poison types.
Bug-type Pokémon have no ineffective attacks.
Metapod has a National Pokedex number of 11.
It appears in all games except Coliseum, XD and must be traded in to Ruby and Sapphire.
The information seems mostly concerned with the fact that it is a Pokemon cocoon, and that its soft innards need to be protected by the shell on the outside, and thus, it needs to use Harden. A lot.
- Red/Blue: This Pokemon is vulnerable to attacks while its shell is soft, exposing its weak and tender body.
- Yellow: Hardens its shell to protect itself. However, a large impact may cause it to pop out of its shell.
- Gold: Inside its shell, it is soft and weak as it prepares to evolve. It stays motionless in the shell.
- Silver: It prepares for evolution by hardening its shell as much as possible to protect its soft body.
- Crystal: This is its preevolved form. At this stage, it can only harden, so it remains motionless to avoid attacks.
- Ruby/Sapphire: The shell covering this Pokemon's body is as hard as an iron slap. Metapod does not move very much. It stays still because it is preparing its soft innards for evolution inside the hard shell.
- Emerald: Its shell is as hard as an iron slab. A Metapod does not move very much because it is preparing its soft innards for evolution inside the shell.
- FireRed: Even though it is encased in a sturdy shell, the body inside is tender. It can't withstand a hard attack.
- LeafGreen: This Pokemon is vulnerable to attacks while its shell is soft, exposing its weak and tender body.
- Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: A steel-hard shell protects its tender body. It quietly endures hardships while awaiting evolution.
- HeartGold: Inside its shell, it is soft and weak as it prepares to evolve. It stays motionless in the shell.
- SoulSilver: It prepares for evolution by hardening its shell as much as possible to protect its soft body.
- Black/White: A steel-hard shell protects its tender body. It quietly endures hardships while awaiting evolution.