Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro 2033

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic first-person-shooter, set in the underground community built in the ruins of a Russian municipal train system, based on the best-selling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Playing Metro 2033

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hello, everyone. Metro 2033 was the next game I decided to play in my current journey through FPS games. The main draw for me from the game was the atmosphere. The team really made it feel like an apocalyptic wasteland where air filters were constantly on my mind. I hope that was one of their development goals, because it worked on me. There were also a couple of times when I felt really safe and out of danger, suggesting that those areas were 'special' and few and far between. I liked the game very much for this kind of feeling.

The gameplay element that included trying to decide how to spend the bullet currency was a strong way of emphasizing to re-think about what to buy. I went for extra body armor, plus extra shotgun shells a lot of the time, and the sound effects were very impressive inside the enclosed areas (gun shots and voices, etc.)

These are the things that I noticed the most. The themes of atomic weapons and creatures living in the wasteland created dramatic tension the whole way through, and I'm glad to have had the chance to play the game this year for the first time.

If you've tried the game, too, what thoughts do you have about your experience? Anything that you remember that you you'd like to share?

Thanks.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I did really enjoy Metro 2033 and it's sequel. Immersive gameplay that walks a line between getting in your way for the sake of realism but remaining fun to play. The sequel more-so now that I think about it

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I remember really, really liking the combat in this game, especially the fights against other humans. They acted smartly and it felt like you were in real danger most of the time. Wasn't as big a fan of all the creature fighting, though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Capum15

I remember really enjoying the game (and still haven't played the sequel, I should get on that), and also going from being competent at the shooting to devolving into a gibbering mess of spray and pray whenever a thing would run up and get close. I never felt like I got a good handle on how to fight the dogs or whatever that would run up and be awkwardly low to shoot at.

The human enemies were great though, I fondly remember rolling through that 'war' chapter 3 or 4 times to get the different achievements because it was so fun.

Also the outside parts were well done and looked real nice. Didn't enjoy the mask/filter thing that much but it wasn't too bad, and it did give me a couple of good "oh god I need to find something now" moments when I'd spend too much time messing around.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been meaning to revisit this series since they remastered them as I never got around to playing the sequel.

For increased immersion change the voice language to Russian with English subtitles and limit the HUD.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pweidman

I enjoyed Metro 2033 quite a bit when I played it. I remember a tough part toward the end in a sewer or something...been a while. I also found the endings pretty damn interesting. Bought Last Light recently and I'm having a hard time sticking with it. Not sure why other than it looks and feels a little dated.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I loved the immersion and the complexity of the Metro games. Really underrated games, wish we saw more shooter in that style.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone for your comments and sharing what you remember. I believe that Metro 2033 made a strong impression that will stick with me for awhile.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the bullet currency. I like the idea, but I ended up never buying anything and never needing to. Maybe I could have used a couple extra air filters, but not everyone sells them. I love everything else about the game, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.