Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro: Last Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 14, 2013

The sequel to the underground hit Metro 2033. Set in Moscow in the year 2034, the player will be caught between warring factions vying for a doomsday device.

Baby in a cement barrel? Most disturbing thing in Metro yet

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

So I was heading through the Reich zone early in the game and ran into this:

No Caption Provided

Looks like they killed it due to a mutation. Nazis suck.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Or maybe it just died from malnutrition/poison/disease? Or maybe the mutation was going to cause nothing but lifelong intense pain for the child and they did it a favor?

I don't think that you can immediately jump to conclusions about any decisions in a world like Metro's based on as little evidence as "mutated baby's head in a cement barrel". They might have considered ending its misery the humane thing to do in the face of pain, suffering, and uselessness - I doubt a place like Metro has the room for a person that can't contribute anything.

...sorry, I just finished reading "The Road", and the ideal is never present in that book.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By reisz

I like to hope that the asset artist who put that barrel together has envisioned this huge story line as to how that happened and who / what the child is and we'll never hear of it, just as though you were really down there in the Metro crawling through the muck and darkness.

Also blegh.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or maybe it just died from malnutrition/poison/disease? Or maybe the mutation was going to cause nothing but lifelong intense pain for the child and they did it a favor?

I don't think that you can immediately jump to conclusions about any decisions in a world like Metro's based on as little evidence as "mutated baby's head in a cement barrel". They might have considered ending its misery the humane thing to do in the face of pain, suffering, and uselessness - I doubt a place like Metro has the room for a person that can't contribute anything.

...sorry, I just finished reading "The Road", and the ideal is never present in that book.

Well considering that shortly before this the Nazis executed someone because his skull was not the ideal length and width, I find it hard to believe they had a valid reason for doing this.

@reisz: Yeah, that's what I love about the game and series actually. So much personality in the environment.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By TheHT

...geez.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's um....that's really messed up. At first when I saw that screenshot I thought "That's clearly just a doll..." and then I saw it in more detail. Yeesh. I really should read the Metro 2033 book, huh.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Kinda looks like a doll to me.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds like just the game for @Rorie.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need to call Kotaku....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Cement doesn't come in barrels, it comes in bags.

Also, Baby In A Cement Barrel is one of my favorite Cannibal Corpse songs.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themangalist

@fearbeard

@humanity said:

Because it is? I haven't come around to playing Last Light but I remember there were all these creepy dolls laying around in 2033. I'm pretty sure this is a doll.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think that's a doll. At least, I really hope that's a doll.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

indeed

Cement doesn't come in barrels, it comes in bags.

Also, Baby In A Cement Barrel is one of my favorite Cannibal Corpse songs.

this post is a nuclear missile

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you wanna know something real fucked up. If I recall correctly there is a story during the holocaust that some of the Jewish people hid in the sewers (or some kinda underground system) And one of the ladies had a baby. However it would not stop crying. So to prevent them from being found the baby was drowned.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm pretty sure "buried in cement" doesn't count as a mercy killing.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

spoilers

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Seems weird to me that they only sunk it half way.

If it's in there because it's dangerously irradiated then really they should've made sure it was all the way in- and furthermore how did it not sink straight to the bottom anyway?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RazielCuts

Is 'Baby in a Cement Barrel' the new 'Women in Refrigerators'?

(and yes, I think it's a doll also.)

Or maybe the mutation was going to cause nothing but lifelong intense pain for the child and they did it a favor?

They might have considered ending its misery the humane thing to do in the face of pain, suffering, and uselessness

Dude, you've got some messed up ideas about euthanasia.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By AssInAss
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

Well considering that shortly before this the Nazis executed someone because his skull was not the ideal length and width, I find it hard to believe they had a valid reason for doing this.

@reisz: Yeah, that's what I love about the game and series actually. So much personality in the environment.

@scrawnto said:

@believer258 said:

I'm pretty sure "buried in cement" doesn't count as a mercy killing.

Is 'Baby in a Cement Barrel' the new '

Women in Refrigerators

'?

(and yes, I think it's a doll also.)

@believer258 said:

Or maybe the mutation was going to cause nothing but lifelong intense pain for the child and they did it a favor?

They might have considered ending its misery the humane thing to do in the face of pain, suffering, and uselessness

Dude, you've got some messed up ideas about euthanasia.

Well, it was a 2AM post and I wasn't thinking much.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I got to say as someone with several ancestors who went to the camps and were killed by the nazis I was not prepared for that part of the game. It was not a negative experience per se but it triggered an emotional and adrenaline response like I rarely get from games anymore. It was pretty cool though and I'm glad the developers bring you through some dark and disturbing stuff. That atmosphere you could cut it with a knife! I haven't played a game this immersive in a while. Its been a bit hand holdy and i've been spending a lot of time being led around. Hopefully the game opens up and gets more challenging.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.