Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Dread

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 08, 2021

The fifth main installment of the Metroid series of action-adventure platformers.

Metroid Dread: The Goldilocks Zone

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Edited By jeremyf
    No Caption Provided

It’s rare that a long-awaited product meets expectations, but the final iteration of the languished Metroid Dread is here to great acclaim. While I haven’t heard from anyone who fully dislikes the game, I found it interesting which criticisms did pop up. One group of people thinks the game is overly difficult and leaves players to get lost without any help. Another group wishes Dread didn’t hold their hands so much and allowed them more freedom to explore. How can both realities exist simultaneously? Furthermore, how is it that I count myself in neither of these camps? By some miracle, Metroid Dread hits the exact sweet spot where I can enjoy its progression without hitting my head against the wall. It’s not too hot, not too cold – just right.

But it’s been a long journey to this point. We aren’t born enjoying this type of game. The search action genre (known by freaks as “metroidvanias,” known by one guy as “troidlikes”) is very popular among The Gamers. They are very happy to talk online about Super Metroid and Metroid Prime as some of the greatest things to ever grace the Earth. I, coming to these games late, had these expectations of life-changing epics. And while I gave it an honest effort, I just couldn’t get down with a lot of troidlikes.

To speak generally about things I didn’t like:

1. I hated getting lost. These games often obfuscate where you are supposed to go next, and they just make you figure it out yourself. In older ones, especially, it comes to either luck or institutional knowledge from playing the game a bunch of times already. Which led to my opinion that:
    2. These games were not “nonlinear” at all. To me, a true nonlinear experience is Breath of The Wild – you are free to explore the world in any order. In most troidlikes, there is still a direct sequence of events you need to trigger to advance. That made the lauded openness feel like a lie to me.
    3. Your path forward is so often hidden behind “Metroid surprises,” by which I mean stuff like hidden blocks. That always felt more annoying than rewarding to uncover.
    4. I didn’t like how the character controlled, and finally:
    5. Dying and losing all progress from the last save point, which means re-exploring what I’ve just done.
    No Caption Provided

I could spend all day going over the pros and cons of various troidlikes I’ve played, but in short, I’ve grown to like them a lot more in the past year or two. Marathoning the four-game 2D Metroid series gave me a better appreciation for their progression, and games like Ori show how to advance the genre with their incredible movement. When Metroid Dread was announced for October, I was legitimately excited. With the finished game in hand, it’s undoubtably from the same DNA as its predecessors. However, it addresses my five complaints brilliantly, leading to an experience in the upper tier of modern troidlikes.

Dread starts in a damp cave – where else – and Samus has once again lost the majority of her abilities. But moving through the tutorial section, the upgrade to her speed is instantly apparent. I’ve never felt this level of control over Samus, who was previously floaty and unwieldly. Here, she’s snappy. Already, the developers have cleared one of my hurdles to enjoying a search action game. This movement would be fun no matter the genre. Returning from Mercury Steam’s previous project is Samus’s 360-degree aiming and melee counter. These make the combat as fine as the movement. Certainly, it’s better than the locked angles we dealt with before. With better control over your weaponry, enemy encounters can step up and become something great – but more on that later. The biggest new thing off the bat is a slide move. Since Samus’s abilities are so tied to trinkets scattered around the universe, it’s a little funny that she just decides she can slide now. That said, it’s a great move for preserving momentum and slipping into tight spaces.

With the basics out of the way, things quickly fall into a familiar rhythm. Explore the environment, destroy anything you can, and find upgrades. The pace of progression feels noticeably faster than in previous entries. It sometimes felt like I had barely any time making use of the latest ability before stumbling into something else. Dread asks you to master every tool you have by the game’s end, but some of them are less significant than they could be. Still, each new power contributes to the fantasy of the unstoppable bounty hunter quite well.

No Caption Provided

Most abilities have been seen before, but there are a handful of new concepts. They are often cool in theory, but ultimately situational. The exception to this is the phantom dash, which has a high level of utility in combat. But a dash move has been part of modern platform design for a good while now. Limited credit for that. Ultimately, a more intuitive control scheme could have been found for managing all these powers. Nearly every button on the controller is put to use, and in tense moments it’s very easy to panic and forget which inputs are required for certain maneuvers.

Exploring the alien planet, on the other hand, has never been more intuitive. The biggest contributing factor to this is the upgraded map. The days of abstracted squares are behind us; instead, the world is represented with its actual geometry. Every interactable object is labeled as soon as you find it, including doors, pickups, and even hidden blocks. This is such an improvement on how old troidlikes handled things. If you get a new door-opening ability, you can quickly check for that icon and start your way there. The game doesn’t have to put a waypoint to lead you by the nose, but it subtly lays out the path forward. The system is so robust that the option to add your own markers feels unnecessary.

That said, the map is doubly helpful because navigating without it would be a pain. I was unable to mentally map out the world like I could before. Certain rooms stick in my memory because I visited them multiple times, but generally the layouts of each area were in one eye and out the other. I couldn’t even tell you the themes of each area. What’s the difference between Dairon and Cataris and Gabagul? I couldn’t tell you offhand. It might be the quicker pace through the environments or the art direction, but that’s just how it is.

The pace of the exploration is controlled intelligently by limiting where Samus can go at any given point. You’ll be locked off from backtracking much of the time, all in the service of funneling you towards the next step of the journey. This is where the frustration comes for veterans who have played these games for 30 years. Personally, I think it’s brilliant. If you’re totally lost, you still know that there’s a limited area that hides the solution. Even when that solution is behind those stupid breakable blocks that are still around, at least you weren’t scouring the entire game world. They hit the exact right point for me to enjoy discovery without being overwhelmed.

No Caption Provided

All of that applies to the standard Metroid portion of the game, but there is another portion that gives Dread its subtitle. When Samus arrives on the planet, there are seven EMMI robots causing trouble. These are too powerful to fight head-on, so going through their territory requires running and hiding. You should just run; hiding isn’t very fun or effective. These sections play more like timed obstacle courses. I suppose they test knowledge of platforming like boss fights test combat ability. The EMMI zones aren’t bad, but if the goal was to inspire Dread, they don’t succeed. The robots are not visually scary, and the animation for stabbing Samus reads more like swordplay at a community theater. So, the threat is limited. Despite the EMMIs’ supposed prominence, they won’t immediately come to mind when I think about Metroid Dread.

Where the game really shines, however, is with boss battles. Bosses have never been a series highlight until now, where they command focus and mastery. They have more in common with Cuphead than with any previous Metroid game. To win, you must zip around dodging every attack, because they hit hard. Bosses near the end can deal close to 300 damage with a single hit! I struggle to think of an enemy doing even 100 in a past game. After you see that game over screen, though, they drop Samus right outside the boss’s house. Finally, no more trekking through all that previously covered ground just for another chance at the fight! The near-instant retries make learning boss patterns gratifying. By the time you fell a boss, you will have practically done so while taking no damage. It’s difficult for sure, but never crosses the line into unfair. I wouldn’t have expected the bosses to be my favorite part of Metroid Dread, but, again, that’s just how it is.

Finally, the story presence is typically sparse in Dread. It’s limited to just a few larger cutscenes, but each feels monumental. As the final game in the Metroid timeline, there were a lot of story opportunities, and the writers take most of them. I was shocked how closely the plot follows my own expectations for what a Metroid 5 could be. I don’t think the best moments are even worth alluding to, so pick up the game and experience the nuttiness firsthand.

Troidlikes are dominant in a way they weren’t when the last Metroid game came out. I was doubtful that a new Metroid could live up to its progeny, but not only is Metroid Dread a reinvigoration of the franchise, it stands toe to toe with the best in the genre. I doubt that troidlikes will ever be my favorite genre. However, it’s games like Dread that show how wrong I was to dismiss them out of hand.

No Caption Provided
    VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VikingRk

The way this game handles difficulty is certainly interesting. Especially like you say with the bosses. Screwing up usually means you take a lot of damage, but the game always makes it pretty obvious exactly what you need to do and when you die you're basically right back into the fight (also, the game always makes sure you're at full health/ammo for the boss fights). So yes, you will probably die a lot, but it doesn't take long to get the rhythm down and at that point, the fights are pretty straightforward. I found that approach pretty satisfying as a player.

Also, I'm with you on the EMMI sections. Again, the game might kill you a lot in these spots but it will spawn you right outside the entrance, and no one EMMI encounter is longer than 20-30 seconds. In these cases though, it didn't feel satisfying to get past them. I'd feel relief usually. Not because these encounters are scary, but because it meant I could get back to focusing on the parts of the game I was enjoying more. For being such a central focus of the game (supposedly the things causing the titular Dread), the EMMI's definitely underwhelmed.

Early on, I didn't love how often the game locked you off into following a particular path. Mostly because there were times when I was in the mood to search around and see if there were secrets I could find and the game wasn't letting me do that for what felt like a large stretch of the game. Obviously, there are times when the game opens up again, so it's not like you can't get that particular Metroid experience out of this game. I found myself having a better time when I just let the game take my hand when it wanted to.

*EDIT* Just wanted to add, I was going to say more about my thoughts on the game but kept finding myself basically repeating what you already said (which honestly, is all I managed to do in my post anyway). I think you nailed the game.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played this one yet but I'll pick it up sometime in the next couple weeks. I love Metroidvanias and Metroid in particular, Super Metroid being one of the best games of all time.

Getting stuck can be frustrating but it's also an integral part of the genre. I really like Metroid-likes with open-ended environments that you can explore rather than having a set objective at each step (although that can be done well also, as in Metroid Fusion.) If you don't have an obvious objective, it's always possible to get stuck. But the trade-off is worth it to me - I love the feeling of freely exploring and going somewhere you're not supposed to be. Having blinking objective markers at each stage kinda kills that.

I think Hollow Knight showed how to do this best: just lean into the open world aspects by having many branching paths and multiple ways past obstacles. In HK there was almost always some path that I'd yet to explore. I'd still get stuck on occasion, though. Maybe it would help if there was some clever "AI" that could give characters dialogue with smart hints as to where to go next based on where you've been and what power-ups you have without giving everything away.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Most of what I have to say about Metroid Dread has been said in the discussion thread ready. I just want to note that Super Metroid and, to a lesser extent, Zero Mission, are open world or nonlinear in the same sense as Dark Souls 1 - once you know those games, part of the fun is figuring out all of tbe different paths you can take to beat them. There are roughly a billion different paths through Super Metroid, including speed runs where people beat bosses in a roughly backwards order.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I'm not familiar enough with any speed running communities and consider SM a game I love but have only played a couple of times...so I wanted to ask out of curiosity: are these runs done via glitches, exploits, or were they originally designed this way? If it is the last one, that is seriously impressive, even if it ended up sort of being a collection of happy accidents.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sethmode said:

@justin258: I'm not familiar enough with any speed running communities and consider SM a game I love but have only played a couple of times...so I wanted to ask out of curiosity: are these runs done via glitches, exploits, or were they originally designed this way? If it is the last one, that is seriously impressive, even if it ended up sort of being a collection of happy accidents.

Here is one I watched recently. This stuff is one of the major reasons why Super Metroid is so well-remembered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.