Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

A long and disturbing look at the story of Other M

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By KingBroly
    http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

These people took everything from the story as a whole, from authorization to character interaction and beyond.  What's the result?  A very, VERY disturbing look at the game's story as a whole, especially when it relates to the main character. 

After reading it, I cannot say I find myself very satisfied with Other M anymore, even if the gameplay is pretty good. 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Kirby Tank!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

The authors completely ignore a very important fact: the entire story is shown from Samus' perspective. That's why she's, you know, narrating. And since Samus sees the relationship as romantic, it only makes sense that it's depicted in a romantic light. It baffles me that these people, who have obviously spent unhealthy amounts of time thinking about this video game story, failed to notice that little detail.

Well, it would've, if the "it's sexist because she's too feminine" comment they snuck in hadn't betrayed their idiocy.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KingBroly

The story doesn't show you anything what Adam's done for her though.  No combat training, no getting her out of trouble, etc.  Just thumbs down with him standing there acting like himself.  At face value, there is no double sided relationship. 

If there is something on both sides, then Other M failed to do that, and at best makes the situation unfortunate.  At worst, it's disturbing.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DXmagma
    @Meowayne said:
    " Kirby Tank! "
    oh god! no one is safe!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " The story doesn't show you anything what Adam's done for her though.  No combat training, no getting her out of trouble, etc.  Just thumbs down with him standing there acting like himself.  At face value, there is no double sided relationship.  If there is something on both sides, then Other M failed to do that, and at best makes the situation unfortunate.  At worst, it's disturbing. "
    The game is being told from Samus's perspective, through her own words and narration.  Though it's not the most effective storytelling mechanism (there's more telling than there is showing), I think it's reasonable to take Samus's words at face value for what they are not not ignore them for the sake of uncovering some strange, twisted meaning out the narrative.  The writers are searching for hidden meanings where there are none to be found.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KingBroly

Adam shooting her in the back is not caring.  Allowing a Baby Metroid to float above her head for 15-20 seconds is torture like.  Yet she thanks him at the end of the day?  Shooting her in that situation makes no sense until you realized he saw Samus activate the Space Jump/Screw Attack without his permission.  He was trying to teach her a lesson.  He never shows any real remorse for treating Samus badly during the game.  He says 'I can't beat Ridley, only you can.' and it doesn't show he cares for Samus the person, only Samus the weapon.  It's also underminded by the fact that he almost got her killed moments earlier. 

This story is DARK AS HELL, even if it wasn't intended to be that way.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Icemael said:

" The authors completely ignore a very important fact: the entire story is shown from Samus' perspective. That's why she's, you know, narrating. And since Samus sees the relationship as romantic, it only makes sense that it's depicted in a romantic light. It baffles me that these people, who have obviously spent unhealthy amounts of time thinking about this video game story, failed to notice that little detail.

Well, it would've, if the "it's sexist because she's too feminine" comment they snuck in hadn't betrayed their idiocy. "

@Hailinel said:

" @KingBroly said:

" The story doesn't show you anything what Adam's done for her though.  No combat training, no getting her out of trouble, etc.  Just thumbs down with him standing there acting like himself.  At face value, there is no double sided relationship.  If there is something on both sides, then Other M failed to do that, and at best makes the situation unfortunate.  At worst, it's disturbing. "
    The game is being told from Samus's perspective, through her own words and narration.  Though it's not the most effective storytelling mechanism (there's more telling than there is showing), I think it's reasonable to take Samus's words at face value for what they are not not ignore them for the sake of uncovering some strange, twisted meaning out the narrative.  The writers are searching for hidden meanings where there are none to be found. "

I like to think of it this way. UNTILL NOW WE GOT NO BACK STORY ABOUT HER! Maybe shes all ways been like this. And what little we did was nothing about how she felt about her life. This is the first time we even heard her voice aside from "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" When she dies. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " Adam shooting her in the back is not caring.  Allowing a Baby Metroid to float above her head for 15-20 seconds is torture like.  Yet she thanks him at the end of the day?  Shooting her in that situation makes no sense until you realized he saw Samus activate the Space Jump/Screw Attack without his permission.  He was trying to teach her a lesson.  He never shows any real remorse for treating Samus badly during the game.  He says 'I can't beat Ridley, only you can.' and it doesn't show he cares for Samus the person, only Samus the weapon.  It's also underminded by the fact that he almost got her killed moments earlier.  This story is DARK AS HELL, even if it wasn't intended to be that way. "
    Adam is a soldier on the ship doing a soldier's duty.  He knows how dangerous those Metroids are, he knows Ridley needs to be stopped, and he's aware of a survivor in the research center in the part of the ship that Ridely had fled toward.  With the mission down to only the two of them, he had to sacrifice himself to take out the Metroids.  The Metroids in Sector 0 were effectively invincible against Samus's arsenal.  The only way to destroy them was to destroy the entire sector, and if Samus had gone in and done it, she would have likely died.  The entire scenario was, in essence a repeat of the failed rescue mission in which Adam knew that there wasn't enough time to save Ian, and allowed him to be sacrificed despite Samus's protesting that she could save him.  The split between Adam and Samus wasn't because Adam was displeased that Samus left the military.  It was because she was upset over Ian's death, blamed Adam for it, parted ways, and couldn't accept that he was right until she matured enough for her emotions to stop blocking out the facts.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KingBroly

Yes, but the game does not show that Adam cares for Samus as a person.  That scene shows us that he cares for her only as a weapon and also doesn't respect her.  He shot her with an enemy circling overhead.  If that enemy wasn't there, then maybe it'd be more emotional.  In the end though, he shoots her, and she loves him for it, even when it almost kills her.   And the game doesn't acknowledge at all that this kind of relationship is bad.  He crossed the moral event horizon, and the fact that this relationship can continue in the future (Post Fusion) is even more disturbing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " Yes, but the game does not show that Adam cares for Samus as a person.  That scene shows us that he cares for her only as a weapon and also doesn't respect her.  He shot her with an enemy circling overhead.  If that enemy wasn't there, then maybe it'd be more emotional.  In the end though, he shoots her, and she loves him for it, even when it almost kills her.   And the game doesn't acknowledge at all that this kind of relationship is bad.  He crossed the moral event horizon, and the fact that this relationship can continue in the future (Post Fusion) is even more disturbing. "
    It doesn't almost kill her.  Adam knew what he was doing.  If it had actually run the risk of killing her, he wouldn't have done it.  And once again, the plot is more tell than show.  I trust that Samus means what she says, even if the game doesn't necessarily show what she speaks of.

The article is really nothing more than navel gazing at its worst.  Overanalyzing the plot and the way its presented to such an extent, yet only presenting the argument from the point of view they favor without counterpoints.  Also, like Icemael stated, they pull the "femininity = sexism" card, which has already been discussed to death in this forum and elsewhere, and is by and large a reactionary argument from those that don't know any better.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By xyzygy

I actually very much like this interpretation of the story because it shows something you don't see in video games, ever. It's surprising to see Samus like this, and when I think about it, I think I would like her better this way rather than her simply being a "strong willed woman" type character. At least this way she is deep.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KingBroly
    @xyzygy said:
    " I actually very much like this interpretation of the story because it shows something you don't see in video games, ever. It's surprising to see Samus like this, and when I think about it, I think I would like her better this way rather than her simply being a "strong willed woman" type character. At least this way she is deep. "
    Uh...you don't see the potentially sick reality of the situation then?
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @DXmagma said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " Kirby Tank! "
    oh god! no one is safe! "
    I'm with you, who cares about actually commenting on the point of this thread? ;)
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Why should this essay exist?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japanese can't tell stories for shit; no offense to them. I remember the Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven; those were great fucking stories, for they inspired the damned world on we should tell stories today. What the hell happened to Japan's writers?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " Japanese can't tell stories for shit; no offense to them. "
    That's a huge huge huge generalization.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " I actually very much like this interpretation of the story because it shows something you don't see in video games, ever. It's surprising to see Samus like this, and when I think about it, I think I would like her better this way rather than her simply being a "strong willed woman" type character. At least this way she is deep. "
    Uh...you don't see the potentially sick reality of the situation then? "
    Yes I see it... I think. Maybe I'm not seeing the full thing? What I get from the article is that Samus holds Adam in such high regard that, even though he is often and almost always cruel to her, she takes the pain, hurt, and dangerous situations he puts her in and translates that to love and trust. This leads to Samus being a very unreliable narrator and making us believe what she thinks about Adam and herself - while in reality, Samus holds an unhealthy obsession with this man to the point where she feels she needs to follow his every order even if it means putting her life in danger, and she does not understand the unhealthiness of their relationship. Her opinions are Adams opinions and she spends most of the game talking about their relationship as if it was a child talking about her father. 

That's what I get from it and I still think that this interpretation is daring and does make a lot of sense, and could very possibly be a subliminal type of story that Nintendo has woven. Sakamoto did tell us to pay close attention to the story.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KingBroly
    @xyzygy said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Uh...you don't see the potentially sick reality of the situation then? "
    Yes I see it... I think. Maybe I'm not seeing the full thing? What I get from the article is that Samus holds Adam in such high regard that, even though he is often and almost always cruel to her, she takes the pain, hurt, and dangerous situations he puts her in and translates that to love and trust. This leads to Samus being a very unreliable narrator and making us believe what she thinks about Adam and herself - while in reality, Samus holds an unhealthy obsession with this man to the point where she feels she needs to follow his every order even if it means putting her life in danger, and she does not understand the unhealthiness of their relationship. Her opinions are Adams opinions and she spends most of the game talking about their relationship as if it was a child talking about her father.  That's what I get from it and I still think that this interpretation is daring and does make a lot of sense, and could very possibly be a subliminal type of story that Nintendo has woven. Sakamoto did tell us to pay close attention to the story. "
    Alrighty then.  Just making sure we're on the same page.  The game doesn't acknowledge the unhealthiness of this relationship either [intentional or not] and the article makes it out to be 'she's fine with it even though she hates it' which may or may not be the case.  I guess the interview with him saying 'she is unburdened by doubt' is true in that sense since she probably doesn't doubt that Adam has good intentions. 

If the story is what the article says it's trying to say, then it's actually very well crafted despite a couple of hiccups.  However...if that's the case then they need to cut off this relationship.  If they continue down this path I won't support it.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy
    @KingBroly: Well he's dead. So I guess that relationship is already cut off :P
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Emilio

My face when Samus is an android and has implanted memories from the Galactic Federation.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KingBroly
    @xyzygy said:
    " @KingBroly: Well he's dead. So I guess that relationship is already cut off :P "
    Two things: 
    - Remember the end of Fusion 
    - We don't see Sector Zero go up in a big fiery explosion with him in it, unlike his brother
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @KingBroly: Well he's dead. So I guess that relationship is already cut off :P "
    Two things: - Remember the end of Fusion - We don't see Sector Zero go up in a big fiery explosion with him in it, unlike his brother "
    You mean aside from Sector Zero being jettisoned from the rest of the ship and exploding? :P
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KingBroly
    @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Two things: - Remember the end of Fusion - We don't see Sector Zero go up in a big fiery explosion with him in it, unlike his brother "
    You mean aside from Sector Zero being jettisoned from the rest of the ship and exploding? :P "
    Not on-screen though.  Other M kills everyone on-screen.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    You mean aside from Sector Zero being jettisoned from the rest of the ship and exploding? :P "
    Not on-screen though.  Other M kills everyone on-screen. "
    Most of the squad was killed off-screen.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho

Next up, they write a thesis on the intricate messages found in Bludgeoning Princess.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KingBroly
    @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Most of the squad was killed off-screen. "
    What I mean is you see a dead body with everyone.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By apathylad
    @Hailinel said:

" @KingBroly said:

The game is being told from Samus's perspective, through her own words and narration.  Though it's not the most effective storytelling mechanism (there's more telling than there is showing), I think it's reasonable to take Samus's words at face value for what they are not not ignore them for the sake of uncovering some strange, twisted meaning out the narrative.  The writers are searching for hidden meanings where there are none to be found. "
    This debate again? Sigh...I'm not really into over-analyzing video games, because most put a greater emphasis on gameplay rather than story. Even in films, making the comparison to Toy Story 3 being a metaphor of a Nazi dictatorship is pushing it, or that The Social Network has misogynist undertones because there is a lack of a strong female presence. And if you make a psychological assessment of Ash from Pokemon, you end up with this:  

The Pokemon in Ash’s team, however, serve the purpose of displaying his issues and aspects of himself. For example, Charmander represents his sex drive (not his sexuality, like Brock). At first it’s a cute, easy thing to control, but eventually becomes a raging inferno of disobedience since Ash has no real understanding of his sexuality and thus has no way to vent or keep it in check. Bulbasaur was his unwillingness to change, reflected in when it declines to evolve and almost decided to stay behind unless he battled it. Squirtle was his willingness to follow the lead of others, as evidenced by the gang it ran with, even though he ran the gang, they were viewed as one group, and Ash’s subconscious just gave him the strongest one. Butterfree was his crushing loneliness, which he dealt with when he released it to join a flock. His bird types are his recklessness, always willing to sacrifice something at a moment’s notice for the win. When Ash is trading Pokemon, it’s an attempt to push his own problems away on someone else; however, he realizes this and usually trades back fairly quickly.     
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    What I mean is you see a dead body with everyone. "
    It's hard to show the dead body of a man that was completely obliterated in an explosion powerful enough to take out an entire sector of a massive research vessel in outer space.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KingBroly
    @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    It's hard to show the dead body of a man that was completely obliterated in an explosion powerful enough to take out an entire sector of a massive research vessel in outer space. "
    But they didn't show it explode, now did they?  We saw something explode earlier, so we know that the person on that is dead.  Not so much for Adam.  If it blew up on screen, I'd be much more apt to say Adam is dead.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    It's hard to show the dead body of a man that was completely obliterated in an explosion powerful enough to take out an entire sector of a massive research vessel in outer space. "
    But they didn't show it explode, now did they?  We saw something explode earlier, so we know that the person on that is dead.  Not so much for Adam.  If it blew up on screen, I'd be much more apt to say Adam is dead. "
    That article really made you paranoid, didn't it?

This isn't Metal Gear Solid.  You don't have to work so hard at second-guessing the narrative.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KingBroly
    @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    But they didn't show it explode, now did they?  We saw something explode earlier, so we know that the person on that is dead.  Not so much for Adam.  If it blew up on screen, I'd be much more apt to say Adam is dead. "
    That article really made you paranoid, didn't it?  This isn't Metal Gear Solid.  You don't have to work so hard at second-guessing the narrative. "
    Not really.  I've had it in my head since my third playthrough that he's not dead.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly:   And what evidence do you have to back up that assertion?
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By luce

Theres a space opera going on in this very thread

Avatar image for saturnvengeance
    saturnvengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By saturnvengeance

Good read.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.