Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Loved Other M

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

What a great game-- every review that knocks the game for Adam authorizing her use of powerful weapons is totally missing the point in my opinion.  I didn't think any of the story bits were cringe-inducing in the least and it is certainly light years better than any Metroid story until this game.  Definetly not a new industry standard, but it does the job.  Also, a Nintendo story's purpose is not to get in the way of the game, and I feel like they nailed it from that perspective.

But where the game shines is its gameplay and how polished and tested everything feels.  The platforming, boss pattern recognition, puzzle solving, difficulty, exploration and everyhing else you would expect from a 2D Metroid is all here but evolved in mostly unexpected ways.  It can be frustrating at first, but the clunkiness you're experiencing is learrning a new, fun way to play a different style of game.  Getting used to the controls was also jarring at first, but as I became more comfortable, I found myself wanting to play more games that used a similar style and then realizing there is absolutely nothing like Metroid Other M.  It is almost oppressively innovative, but I also felt it held my hand just enough for the game to make its thesis clear and blow out from there.    

I have a feeling that when the release day review dust settles and people give the game a little time to breathe, we're going to look back at Other M as possibly the best Metroid game in the series-- it feels like a massive evolution of Super Metroid in ways that Joe Gamer would never have been able to predict.  It's easy to form a knee-jerk response to this game based on preconceptions of what we expect from our Call of Duties and Red Dead Redemptions (still great for different reasons), but all you have to do is give Metroid Other M a few hours of your time to make you a believer. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Best in the series? I don't think we'll be saying that. I think we'll be saying it tried some interesting mechanical things and some not so interesting storytelling things, and I think people who never bothered with Prime and were too young for Super Metroid are the only ones that will call it the best in the series. I wouldn't call it the worst. Hunters is worse. Metroid 2 is worse. I'd put it on par with Metroid Pinball.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Sarumarine

Story wise, I think you can do more with less. And every time Samus recapped events I saw five minutes ago was tough to watch. Any subtlety they could have established with a glance or a quick event was quickly spelled out. The narrative is definitely the weakest part of this game, but the gameplay is good enough and conveys action in a very entertaining fashion as I would have expected from Team Ninja. One of my favorite animations is when Samus puts a creature in a headlock and shoves her arm cannon down its throat before pulling the trigger. Not to mention enemies have plenty of creative ways to finish you off provided you slip up somewhere.

Also, authorizing the use of power suit abilities crosses the line when you reach the lava environment. After running through tons of superheated areas, taking tons of damage while dealing with fire-based enemies, you're only allowed to use the Varia Suit to resist heat damage when Adam randomly feels like it. The amount of frustration generated by not being able to access areas when you already have the tools is crazy. They establish that Samus' suit is one dangerous weapon and the concern for other people's safety is paramount... but not being able to use temperature or gravity shielding? That's damn near impossible to justify.

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By normalpants
    @Sarumarine said:

"  Also, authorizing the use of power suit abilities crosses the line when you reach the lava environment. " 

You're absolutely right if you want to project real world logic to the world of Metroid, but it's a game first and a story second.   I suppose we could go back to the alternative of finding parts of her suit randomly scattered through the caves, but it seems equally nonsensical to me.   

And the reason I feel like it stands with the best Metroids is because I feel like it passes my most important sequel test, which is making me wish the new ideas were in the older games.  I felt that way about New Super Mario Brother's wall jump, and how I wished I could retroactively add it to Super Mario World.  My point isn't that Super Mario World needs a wall jump, but it's a mechanic I thought was so fun that I missed being able to use it.  The fact that it's close enough to the source material to make a comparison in my brain and also makes me pine for a recent addition is usually a sure sign for me that a sequel done done it and done it good. 

edit: I realized I forgot examples of the new features I wish I could retroactively add to Super Metroid: I LOVE the dodge move, it actually reminds me of Bayonetta's witch time minus the slow motion.  Also I think the first person stuff is pretty damn good.  I think a lot of the trouble people seem to be having stems from thinking they need to pop into first person and then quickly back out to move.  Once I fought through this reflex, I learned that most of the first person segments are set up as rail shooters, so instead of assuming you need to get out of first person to dodge, it's actually much simpler and more fun to simply shoot down the projectiles and things of that nature.  I can see how something like that isn't going to be readily apparent to everybody at first glance.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @normalpants: I am having an awesome time with this game so far. And apparently it get much better toward the end. At first I thought the controls would be bothersome and clunky, but after about an hour of playing, it was all second nature. And that dodge mechanic is great, I agree. And you're 100% right about first-person mode.

I do wish the story was a little better, and that the graphics were a little more polished. But overall, this game succeeds more than it fails. And I've been playing Metroid games since I was 4.
    OscarMike001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OscarMike001

I totally agree. I was a little apprehensive going in because Im such a huge fan of the classic styled games and the franchise as a whole. And after playing through it I started to think that maybe people where comparing it to the Prime series, which is a little unfair. This is a classic Metroid adventure through and through, and im my opinion second only to Super Metroid in the entire series. The thumbs up, thumbs down thing was lame as hell though hahaha

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liminality

Me too! but I really really liked the story.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @OscarMike001: Yeah the thumbs thing was kinda lame. But man, that cutscene with Mother Brain and the metroid in the beginning cancelled out the lame of the thumbs up/down thing.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By luce
    @ryanwho: 

Metroid Pinball was pretty good
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138

we're going to look back at Other M as possibly the best Metroid game in the series    

Hmmm ....Hmmmmm no . 

Metroid Prime however ....  

Okay the reason I disagree is mainly the steps backwards they have taken . Mainly the ninja gaiden like combat situations you get into . I hated them in ninja gaiden and I hate them in this game . Metroid prime is the best game in the metroid series because of what it did to the IP a FPS metroid ? I didn't think they could pull it off but they did and it remains my favourite game of all time . 
    librarianmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By librarianmike

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I am of the mind that any new Metroid is a good thing.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

As a fan of Metroid Prime, Team Ninja, and unique games, will I like this? I have been thinking about geting it, but I'm not sure if I will enjoy it or not.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By mazik765

I haven't played this game, or any Metroid game besides the original but my only complaint as an outsider is that Other M is a terrible fucking name. It just sounds awkward. Maybe it makes sense in the story?

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kr3lian
    @normalpants: I agree with you that the game is great.  I am kind of happy for the middling reviews, because it really lowered my expectations and so I find myself blown away!  I haven't finished the game yet, but it is a lot of fun.  I don't find the controls to be cumbersome at all (but maybe I haven't gotten stuck yet) and the voice acting/story is no worse than any other game on the market that isn't made by Bioware or Naughty Dog.  My only real complaint is the stupid "hidden pictures" sections where you have to find whatever the hell you are supposed to find with little prompting.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @librarianmike: That's a good mindset to have. And if you're looking for the basic hidden item type of gameplay, Other M really won't disappoint you. 

@mazik765: It is a weird name, but at the end of the game you realize it has a few different meanings. At least, that's what I got out of it. But regardless, a terrible name does not a bad game make.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Kr3lian: Yeah those are definitely annoying. I spent about ten minutes waving the controller around just trying to hit the pin-point of an area that you have to scan. I ended up just looking online to get the answer.
    OscarMike001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OscarMike001

Ridley was an epic badass in this game. Best depiction of him by far. Plus I really loved how they should his different stages of maturity, that was interesting to add to the character.

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By normalpants

I'm curious if people who haven't played Super Metroid will be into this game.  I'm pretty sure the main reason I loved it was because the whole game was a love letter to Samus' epic adventure on SNES with some neat innovations.  Anybody have any feedback of Other M from Metroid virgins?
    normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By normalpants
    @mazik765 said:
    "I haven't played this game, or any Metroid game besides the original but my only complaint as an outsider is that Other M is a terrible fucking name. It just sounds awkward. Maybe it makes sense in the story? "

Sort of, I guess.  The problem is that the story isn't really about anything but intertwining made-up names, which pretty much sums up every videogame story ever.  The cutscenes were really pretty though.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Not the best in the series for me, But I still found Other M to be damn good game that was completely worth my time and money. It will probably be somewhere on my Top 10 for this year.

GogDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By GogDog

Please keep in mind when you  read this that I actually quite LIKE the Prime series.  I own all the games, and the Trilogy on top of that.  With that said...

I like the way that Other M holds the previous Metroid games (the 2D ones, at least) in a state of sheer reverence.  This game tries to make the adventures of Samus as an emotional story that has not only affected the Galaxy's safety, but herself and those around her as well.  It takes what has happened before it, and instead of trying to out do it, it tries to tie it together and build upon it.  It takes it back to it's roots and bridges them together.

The Prime series started off like that, but lost it's way.  Instead of Metroids being a feared weapon, with an established evolutionary path, there are now Metroids on seemingly every planet and research facility in the galaxy ever.   It undermines the story of Metroid 2 (and subsequently every game there after), as how could Samus ever be sure there are no Metroids on one of a billion Pirate facilities out there?   Also, every game has new version of Metroids.  Metroid Hatchers? Really? And every game has the Space Pirates looking completely different.  And every game has Samus with a new ship for no apparent reason. And a billion new suits.   It doesn't hold the series to any level of sacredness, and the story got convoluted and unexplainable.  It didn't try to build on top of what came before it (at least in the end), it tried to out do it and in the end came up short.

Like I said, I love the Prime games, but they are a side story that may eventually get taken out of official canon.  Other M is a better 3rd party attempt at redefining the series, IMO.

Prassel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Prassel
    @GogDog said:

"  With that said...  I like the way that Other M holds the previous Metroid games (the 2D ones, at least) in a state of sheer reverence. "

This is one bit of Other M I personally DON'T like... Games shouldn't just be homages to older entries in the series, in that case they may just as well release Super metroid over and over again, only a bit more polished every time...

IMO, Other M lacks originality in it's portrayal. It has innovative gameplay, but gameplay is ALL it's got, and I don't think that a game like Metroid should be all about gameplay. I felt that Other M was merely Super Metroid in a different setting....

It spends way too much time on scenes that reek of "HEY! Look att this! Doesn't it remind you a lot about whatever place from Super Metroid?!".Frankly, Other M felt very little like a game on it's own...it felt just like one, big homage to Super Metroid.

The story itself is not particularly  weak IMHO... it's the way it's told that is really weak. Honestly, it stinks of B-movie dramas... Loooong tedious monologues with over-the-top musical scores (particularly the long one after the "battle" with MB...) and what not... and a feeble attempt at giving Samus personality. One scene that disturbs me most is when Samus faces Ridley and is all "WHAT?!" and is paralyzed with fear... SAMUS, PARALYZED WITH FEAR?
    Honestly, she has seen Ridley resurrected a ton of times, why the hell would she suddenly freeze up for no reason whatsoever?

The ending is also horrible... the "first" ending comes ridiculously sudden, and we don't even get a proper boss fight, unless you count suffering through the horribly long and over-the-top cutscene as a struggle... Then we suddenly get an epilogue where we go back for one of the most cliché reasons ever, and the "real" final boss is... another homage to Super Metroid, that has pretty much nothing to do with the story.

They even fail with the credits, scoring them with music that you would hear on any HOllywood drama film... Ugh.

That said, I thought Other M was a great game as far as gameplay went... It was great when you got to play, and most of the boss fights were fun, although a bit too simple... Bosses don't have any real particular weaknesses, you just blast away and dodge, with the occasional need to go to 1st person view. The cutscenes were there was no talking were awesome, and immensely beautiful, but still, the action-packed gameplay is this game's strongest point. But in the end, Other M comes off as one of the weakest entries in the Metroid series, in my opinion.
    GogDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By GogDog
    @Prassel:  I was referring more to the story in that regard than the game play.  I liked how it related to the other fiction in a way that the Prime games didn't

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.