Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Metroid: Other M or Metroid Prime Trilogy?

danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danyul

So Im going to be picking up one of these games today, but I cant really decide between the two.  

Metroid fusion was one of my favorite GBA games, and Id be interested in knowing the backstory. I did play through Super Metroid as well. However the original Metroid Prime was on of my favorite all time games, and Ive even tried to find my copy for the gamecube, but lost it :(. I never played Prime 2, but always kinda wanted to, and I havent touched Prime 3 as well, but heard it was really great. Im skeptical about the wiimote stuff though. 

Which series did you guys enjoy more, prime or other m?

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KingBroly

It's a little early to tell to be honest.  However, this game is definitely better than Echoes, and maybe slightly ahead of Corruption.  It's not better than Super or Zero Mission, though. 

Also, Trilogy is on clearance at Target if you have one near you, and has been for about a month.  Other M has some good deals online with it also.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Goldanas

They're two very different games, but the Prime series was better in my opinion.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KingBroly
    @Goldanas said:
    " They're two very different games, but the Prime series was better in my opinion. "
    Is it really fair to compare 3 games combined versus 1 though?  Other M isn't exactly as a series unless we got Other S and Other A.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1
    @KingBroly said:
    " @Goldanas said:
    " They're two very different games, but the Prime series was better in my opinion. "
    Is it really fair to compare 3 games combined versus 1 though?  Other M isn't exactly as a series unless we got Other S and Other A. "
    In terms of value for your buck of course you can compare them. 
    Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Goldanas
    @KingBroly said:

"Is it really fair to compare 3 games combined versus 1 though?  Other M isn't exactly as a series unless we got Other S and Other A. "

Normally I'd agree, but these are extenuating circumstances. He's asking for one or the other: A fairly recent game that is more expensive and is only one game or a game that is a combination of a whole series (aside from Hunters and Pinball) that have all aged very well and cost a pittance. 

It's not a fair comparison, but that's not my fault. He wanted to know which was better for his circumstance, and the games make the choice very easy.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Sarumarine

Metroid Prime handles a lot better and isn't weighed down by hit-or-miss cutscenes. That series is a safe bet to be sure. As an opinion, I will say that I found Metroid Prime 2 to be pretty awful, tedious, and nearly devoid of fun. Metroid Prime 3 is pretty solid from what I played.

Other M has a few nods to Fusion... but it tries to do a lot of crazy stuff and doesn't quite pull it off. If you've ever played Ninja Gaiden you might dig the kind of action Other M trades on. However, aiming at the screen for bursts of FPS missile launching is a little dodgy. And there are moments of frustration through a few cut scenes and forced perspective that really, really pissed me off.

To summarize, you can't go wrong with Metroid Prime. But if you're looking for a different take on your Metroid adventures, Other M will deliver (not always with flying colors though). Feel free to ask any questions if you need too.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Prime 1 and 2 were great, I especially liked the second one. The third Prime game was not quite as good; the Wii controls work pretty well but the game itself just wasn't as good IMHO. Haven't played Other M yet but by all accounts it looks kinda dissapointing. I'm gonna rent it. Actually, all Metroid games make great rentals as there's not a lot of replay value unless you want to go through and find all the hidden stuff or try to do sequence breaking low percentage runs.

I was going to buy the prime trilogy a while ago but the only ones being sold on Amazon are some overpriced "Collector's Edition" ones. I mean, it's been out for a year and it's a collection of re-releases, new from $70 and used from $59? Really?

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KingBroly
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " @Goldanas said:
    Is it really fair to compare 3 games combined versus 1 though?  Other M isn't exactly as a series unless we got Other S and Other A. "
    In terms of value for your buck of course you can compare them.  "
    Wasn't thinking really about the package of Trilogy vs. Other M but Other M vs. Prime vs. Echoes vs. Corruption.  In a sense of Trilogy vs. Other M, I'd say Trilogy because it's 3 very good games in one package whereas Other M is one very good game.
    danyul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danyul
    @KingBroly said:

" @Goldanas said:

Sorry, I guess it isnt really fair to compare 3 games against 1 haha, but I just couldnt decide which to pick up. Ill swing by target to see if they have it on clearance. I figure the 5000 hours Ill complete prime in will hold me over until Other M is discounted or whatever, as Im not completely sold by that game. I actually beat Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty (Im sadistic, I know) and Other M kinda reminds me of it in the movement and etc. Its not something I really want out of metroid though. Also I felt Prime actually did have some really strong story without any voice acting, and the ambience was really amazing. The anime-ness of Other M is a bit of a turn off. 

Anyways thanks a lot guys.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

The trilogy obviously for value but it comes down to preference in the gameplay. I personally prefer the Prime trilogy for it's gameplay. I'm just not interested in what Other M has to offer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Goldanas said:
    " @KingBroly said:

"Is it really fair to compare 3 games combined versus 1 though?  Other M isn't exactly as a series unless we got Other S and Other A. "

Normally I'd agree, but these are extenuating circumstances. He's asking for one or the other: A fairly recent game that is more expensive and is only one game or a game that is a combination of a whole series (aside from Hunters and Pinball) that have all aged very well and cost a pittance.  It's not a fair comparison, but that's not my fault. He wanted to know which was better for his circumstance, and the games make the choice very easy. "
    Except Metroid Prime Trilogy doesn't cost a pittance.  It had a limited run in stores and was released only as a collector's edition.  Also, as someone that enjoys Metroid but isn't so fond of FPS titles, I'm having much more fun with Other M than I ever did with any of the Metroid Prime titles.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By apathylad
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " I was going to buy the prime trilogy a while ago but the only ones being sold on Amazon are some overpriced "Collector's Edition" ones. I mean, it's been out for a year and it's a collection of re-releases, new from $70 and used from $59? Really? "
    That game is out of print, dude. It was made in limited quantities, apparently. 
    blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By blazerx9x

Well, because i`m pretty picky and careful when it comes to buying and picking out games, I would go for trilogy, it has 80+ hours of gameplay, that`s amazing.

OscarMike001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OscarMike001

I do love all three of the prime games, but Id take this over them any day. This is classic Metroid, which is the best kind, and they gave it a great story and some god characterization to Samus. There was only one part I found to be absolutely cringe worthy however, but overall its now my second favorite Metroid game behind Super Metroid. But if where talking about a purchase, go with the trilogy. they stopped making it and to me its rare as hell. Im still looking for it.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Daveyo520

Get the Prime games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.