Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Metroid: The other M stands for Mediocre

tonicmole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By tonicmole

The Metroid franchise rescently returned to the Wii with Metroid the other M, which was promoted as some sort of origin story, which followed up Super Metroid.  It also marked the next evolution of Metroid Gameplay.  Now if that wasn't amazing enough, it was also developed by Team Ninja, who are well known for their Dead or Alive fighting series and Ninja Gaiden reboot.  Depending on your favor of the flavor, The Other M abandoned the first person shooting of the past trillogy in favor of a more classic semi 2D brawler, to the delight or possible disappointment of the fans.  Because in the end a game is only as good......as it is good..... 

Right off you find that the long opening cut scene is a little rough around the edges.  The voice acting is as stiff as a 25 year old hermit's doodle while spanking it to D.O.A Extreme 2's morbid physics.  Then again, who gives a crap about the story.  Hell, we still have no idea why Mario is so obsessed with murdering flying turtles.  It's all about the game, and in this case, a very striped down boring game.  Now, I could be a bit more tolerant if it wasn't for how fast and exciting the FPS Metroid series, but the other M, suffers on all fronts.  The gameplay is a horrible mash of past Metroids all cramed into the shell of Ninja Gaiden, and watered down for the kiddies.  At this I realized what was missing.  A little pervert named.......ITAGAKI!!!!!!!!  For those that are not savvy, Itagaki was the head honcho of Team Ninja and creator of the D.O.A franchise.  His bizarre behaviour was only matched by his exact execution of frantic hyper active gameplay.  He wasn't the best game designer by any means.  You kinda love him or hate him, but he provided a unique style to Team Ninja.  A unique style which is painfully absent from M: The other M.  The game is shallow and cold, and some how not only lacks the expansiveness of the universe of past games, but also fails to compare to the amazing FPS gameplay of the past three games.   

I have been a fan of the franchise from the NES all the way through to Corruption on the Wii, but this was way too many steps back.  It's like Team Ninja was handed the keys of a 1969 GTO Judge and returned a 1988 Ford Taurus.  Could it be a complete misunderstanding of the franchise, short development schedule, or possibly a sign that Itagaki was more important to the studio then even I could have thought?  I don't know.  Maybe a combination of the above.  All I know forsure is that this is a rare mis step for a first party Nintendon't franchise.  One that cost me $59.99!     
    tonicmole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tonicmole

The Metroid franchise rescently returned to the Wii with Metroid the other M, which was promoted as some sort of origin story, which followed up Super Metroid.  It also marked the next evolution of Metroid Gameplay.  Now if that wasn't amazing enough, it was also developed by Team Ninja, who are well known for their Dead or Alive fighting series and Ninja Gaiden reboot.  Depending on your favor of the flavor, The Other M abandoned the first person shooting of the past trillogy in favor of a more classic semi 2D brawler, to the delight or possible disappointment of the fans.  Because in the end a game is only as good......as it is good..... 

Right off you find that the long opening cut scene is a little rough around the edges.  The voice acting is as stiff as a 25 year old hermit's doodle while spanking it to D.O.A Extreme 2's morbid physics.  Then again, who gives a crap about the story.  Hell, we still have no idea why Mario is so obsessed with murdering flying turtles.  It's all about the game, and in this case, a very striped down boring game.  Now, I could be a bit more tolerant if it wasn't for how fast and exciting the FPS Metroid series, but the other M, suffers on all fronts.  The gameplay is a horrible mash of past Metroids all cramed into the shell of Ninja Gaiden, and watered down for the kiddies.  At this I realized what was missing.  A little pervert named.......ITAGAKI!!!!!!!!  For those that are not savvy, Itagaki was the head honcho of Team Ninja and creator of the D.O.A franchise.  His bizarre behaviour was only matched by his exact execution of frantic hyper active gameplay.  He wasn't the best game designer by any means.  You kinda love him or hate him, but he provided a unique style to Team Ninja.  A unique style which is painfully absent from M: The other M.  The game is shallow and cold, and some how not only lacks the expansiveness of the universe of past games, but also fails to compare to the amazing FPS gameplay of the past three games.   

I have been a fan of the franchise from the NES all the way through to Corruption on the Wii, but this was way too many steps back.  It's like Team Ninja was handed the keys of a 1969 GTO Judge and returned a 1988 Ford Taurus.  Could it be a complete misunderstanding of the franchise, short development schedule, or possibly a sign that Itagaki was more important to the studio then even I could have thought?  I don't know.  Maybe a combination of the above.  All I know forsure is that this is a rare mis step for a first party Nintendon't franchise.  One that cost me $59.99!     

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.