Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

X-Play review - 2/5: "the whole mess smacks of sexism"

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#451  Edited By arch4non
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#452  Edited By ryanwho
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Also, I don't usually call people out, but that video of Abbie Heppe makes her sound extremely stupid and childish. "If anyone liked the way she was characterized, I probably wouldn't want to be friends with them." What an idiotic and juvenile statement.  "
    You done with your character assassination there, highhorse? Care to actually play the game now?
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#453  Edited By fullmetal5550

X-Play was a better show before G4 bought out TechTV.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454  Edited By ryanwho
    @angryphil said:
    " What are these people talking about, I forgot that they made the fucking characters and they can decide whether or not she is true to her character, shut the fuck up g4.... this was a great game. "
    Kind of like Sonic Team. Hey guys when a developer chooses to make their character a shitty anime cookie cutter cutout, you're not allowed to complain because its their vision.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#455  Edited By ryanwho
    @LiquidPrince said:

" People are dumb. I'm tired of all these people throwing around the word sexist, whenever a girl is portrayed as having feelings. Because apparently feeling make you weak, and if you portray them, you're not a strong person. I hate double standards. If a male character showed the same sort of insecurities, it would be praised because he would be a deeper character. You can have past trauma, and insecurities, and be womanly/manly and still be a badass bounty hunter. I also don't hear people cry foul when we see super macho men in games, yet a girl who has big boobs was apparently created because the male designers are perverts.   Idiots. "

Lovely theory. Any evidence to back it up? Because Im pretty sure you're full of shit and any male character that has displayed weakness has been shit on even more. Pretty sure you're making shit up, idiot. That's right, when a female acts like a female stereotype, people have a problem with it, and when a male acts outside of the male stereotype, they have less of a problem with it. And for that, they're idiots in your mind. Wow. You should watch some 50s pulp, all sorts of "empowered" women there. Basically you've concocted this notion based on a single none-stereotypical female lead that all females must act like men to be empowered. No dipshit, Samus was the only one doing that. In a universe of games, there was a single character not acting like a fucking victim and you act like that was some oppressive sexism, that this one character didn't fit into your mold. Fucking pathetic. Well you got your way. They took a blank slate and, anime style, threw tragedies at it till her legs buckled and tears came out. You know, the way a "real character" would act, that Nintendo oppressively wouldn't allow up until now. 'Oppression' over. She's Asuka from NGE now. Something you're more comfortable with, despite what some knownothing woman review who actually finished the game thinks.
    Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#456  Edited By Hennet_sim

I didn't even know people still watched anything on G4.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#457  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " Also, I don't usually call people out, but that video of Abbie Heppe makes her sound extremely stupid and childish. "If anyone liked the way she was characterized, I probably wouldn't want to be friends with them." What an idiotic and juvenile statement.  "
    You done with your character assassination there, highhorse? Care to actually play the game now? "
    Have you actually played it, angerwho?
    geckofish52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458  Edited By geckofish52

Im just sick of X-Play. 

I have basis for that statement, but I dont want to think about  X-Play right now so thats all you get.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#459  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @ryanwho said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    You done with your character assassination there, highhorse? Care to actually play the game now? "
    I have actually played the game. I own the game. I was playing the game just before writing that comment. So what the fuck is your problem?

@ryanwho said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

" People are dumb. I'm tired of all these people throwing around the word sexist, whenever a girl is portrayed as having feelings. Because apparently feeling make you weak, and if you portray them, you're not a strong person. I hate double standards. If a male character showed the same sort of insecurities, it would be praised because he would be a deeper character. You can have past trauma, and insecurities, and be womanly/manly and still be a badass bounty hunter. I also don't hear people cry foul when we see super macho men in games, yet a girl who has big boobs was apparently created because the male designers are perverts.   Idiots. "

Lovely theory. Any evidence to back it up? Because Im pretty sure you're full of shit and any male character that has displayed weakness has been shit on even more. Pretty sure you're making shit up, idiot. That's right, when a female acts like a female stereotype, people have a problem with it, and when a male acts outside of the male stereotype, they have less of a problem with it. And for that, they're idiots in your mind. Wow. You should watch some 50s pulp, all sorts of "empowered" women there. Basically you've concocted this notion based on a single none-stereotypical female lead that all females must act like men to be empowered. No dipshit, Samus was the only one doing that. In a universe of games, there was a single character not acting like a fucking victim and you act like that was some oppressive sexism, that this one character didn't fit into your mold. Fucking pathetic. Well you got your way. They took a blank slate and, anime style, threw tragedies at it till her legs buckled and tears came out. You know, the way a "real character" would act, that Nintendo oppressively wouldn't allow up until now. 'Oppression' over. She's Asuka from NGE now. Something you're more comfortable with, despite what some knownothing woman review who actually finished the game thinks. "

I never had a problem with her character before. I don't have a problem with her character now. Anytime a female acts weak, or seems to have some sort of tragic past and you know, shows emotions, it doesn't mean she's weak. It means she's human. It would be the same for a man. No one is just an emotionless robot, and that was what Samus was before. She could have just be a robot.  Also half the stuff you wrote is fucking asinine bullshit. Stop putting words in my mouth. When did I ever say that there was one way a female should act, and that they should act like men to feel empowered? I don't even know where you drew half your bullshit from...
    OscarMike001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460  Edited By OscarMike001
    @ryanwho said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

Lovely theory. Any evidence to back it up? Because Im pretty sure you're full of shit and any male character that has displayed weakness has been shit on even more. Pretty sure you're making shit up, idiot. That's right, when a female acts like a female stereotype, people have a problem with it, and when a male acts outside of the male stereotype, they have less of a problem with it. And for that, they're idiots in your mind. Wow. You should watch some 50s pulp, all sorts of "empowered" women there. Basically you've concocted this notion based on a single none-stereotypical female lead that all females must act like men to be empowered. No dipshit, Samus was the only one doing that. In a universe of games, there was a single character not acting like a fucking victim and you act like that was some oppressive sexism, that this one character didn't fit into your mold. Fucking pathetic. Well you got your way. They took a blank slate and, anime style, threw tragedies at it till her legs buckled and tears came out. You know, the way a "real character" would act, that Nintendo oppressively wouldn't allow up until now. 'Oppression' over. She's Asuka from NGE now. Something you're more comfortable with, despite what some knownothing woman review who actually finished the game thinks. "
    Why does this upset you so fucking much? Im a MASSIVE fan of Metroid and have been for an extremely long time, and I thought her characterization (except for one of two scenes) was done very, very well. But really though, what the fuck happened to you that had to do with this subject to transform you into such and angry little bitch?  She shows up in her fucking BATHINGSUIT after all of the games but no one complains about that. Exactly what during any of the classic games mad her seem like a fucking Gears of War style grunt with a vagina? We never knew how she acted, or felt, but some people seem to have gotten attached to their projected view of the character (like yourself) and threw a goddamn bitch fit when the creators decide to give her some emotion. Would you have liked it better if she was some type of antisocial, genocidal space marine? Yeah(SPOILERS)******************************************************** the scene where Adam goes into Sector Z was lame as fuck, and so was the thumbs up, thumbs down shit, the basic narration wasn't even half as bad as you're making it out to be. But for the sake of the argument im going to throw a big fat IMO at the end of this rant because you clearly jump on that shit whenever someone forgets to add it to their post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.