Metroid Prime 4 development restarted under Retro Studios

#1 Posted by KingBonesaw (1345 posts) -

Today Nintendo announced that Metroid Prime 4 is restarting development under a new developer and will not be releasing any time soon. They claim that the game under its original developer was not coming together in a way that Nintendo was happy with releasing. I don't think Nintendo ever actually said officially who was working on it before but all rumours point to BANDAI NAMCO Studios Singapore Pte. Ltd..

The game is now in the hands of Retro Studios best known for creating the original Metroid Prime games back in the day. Do keep in mind that the creative leads (and founders of Retro Studios) did leave the company after Metroid Prime 3: Corruption released and founded Armature Studio.

What this means for the rumoured Star Fox racing game is yet to be seen. Nintendo also said that it will be awhile until any new information on Metroid Prime 4 is given.

#2 Posted by Rahf (485 posts) -

Kudos to Nintendo for taking that loss and having the guts to say, "No."

#3 Edited by ATastySlurpee (630 posts) -

Surely they are going to announce a Metroid Trilogy release on the Switch now, right or are they going to port the recent Metroid 2 remake? What else does Nintendo have in the pipeline? Bayonetta 3 & Pikmin 4?

We wont see MP4 until like 2021 at the earliest

Good on them though for being upfront and honest. That's the best approach.

#4 Posted by Casepb (585 posts) -

@atastyslurpee: Good god I really hope so. Not having any sort of Metroid game to play on the Switch is a low blow for me. I would gladly rebuy the Prime Trilogy on it.

#5 Posted by turboman (9774 posts) -

Maybe it's time to take Metroid in a new direction?

Hopefully Retro can pull it off, but I wonder if a new Prime game can work in 2019.

#6 Posted by JeremyF (327 posts) -

This raises more questions than it answers. What was Retro working on until now? Surely it didn't take them 4 years to finish NEW FUNKY MODE. I take the Star Fox rumors with a heavy grain of salt. There were also rumors that Retro was experiencing some huge troubles internally. How bad was the original product if they are restarting with Retro?

However, I am really happy that Nintendo made this decision, and made it publicly at that. I don't even like Metroid Prime that much, but series fans were put through the wringer for so many years. It seemed like Nintendo didn't care about this franchise that spawned a massive genre of games. That Nintendo probably would have put this original game out because it won't do Zelda or Mario numbers. Starting over and addressing the public shows they care about this series again.

Hopefully this move pays off, and Prime 4 is everything it can be. Though F-Zero fans still have no luck.

#7 Posted by ripelivejam (13077 posts) -

Now to dust off the Wii U find a cheap Wiimote somewhere and play that copy of Trilogy I have.

#8 Posted by tds418 (428 posts) -

I'm happy about this news. As a huge fan of MP 1 and 2, I have faith Retro can deliver. I would love for this to be the impetus to release a remastered version of the original trilogy though. I don't have a Wii but I have the original GameCube games, and I really want to play through them again but I'm holding off on hopes that a Switch release will be announced.

#9 Posted by warpr (206 posts) -

Surely they are going to announce a Metroid Trilogy release on the Switch now, right or are they going to port the recent Metroid 2 remake?

Metroid Other M for switch ;)

#10 Edited by glots (4232 posts) -

Guess I now have more time to play and finish both MP 2 & 3.

But hey, at least Switch will have Wooly Yoshi out in 2019.

#11 Posted by doctordonkey (1787 posts) -

I'm completely okay with this. I was very skeptical when I heard Retro wasn't working on this one. I'm definitely more excited for it now.

#12 Posted by liquiddragon (3270 posts) -

I appreciate announcements like these. That said, it's been hard for me to get excited about MP4 even from the beginning. MP1 is one of my all time favs, I truly love that game but I've never had the urge to play MP2 or 3. I could, I own them but I just know no sequel could ever top the near perfection that is MP1, let alone top my experience with it.

Hopefully MP4 really sets itself apart from any of the MPs 'cause otherwise, I got 2 of 'em to play already.

#13 Posted by Wrighteous86 (4012 posts) -

Surely they are going to announce a Metroid Trilogy release on the Switch now, right or are they going to port the recent Metroid 2 remake? What else does Nintendo have in the pipeline? Bayonetta 3 & Pikmin 4?

There have been plenty of rumors from insiders and journalists that Metroid Prime Trilogy is already complete for the Switch, and is just being held on to for marketing purposes due to the delay on Prime 4. It's basically not a matter of if, but when, supposedly.

#14 Edited by Rejizzle (1070 posts) -

This whole thing is wild. The story of Metroid Prime 4 development and Retro Studios 2014-2019 is gonna be crazy.

#15 Posted by symbyosys (85 posts) -

Classy statement and great news that Retro is working on it.

#16 Posted by BisonHero (11551 posts) -

@rejizzle said:

This whole thing is wild. The story of Metroid Prime 4 development and Retro Studios 2014-2019 is gonna be crazy.

Yeah, Retro since 2014 has been kinda baffling.

• 2010: they release Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii, 3 years after Metroid Prime 3. OK, fine.
  • 2011: they contributed in making some of the race tracks in Mario Kart 7.
  • 2014: they release Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I mean, that game is solid, but 4 years between one release and the next? I guess they did stuff under the hood going from Wii to Wii U, but those 2 DKC games play largely the same and I don't think it takes 4 years just to generate a bunch of new art for a Donkey Kong game. Did they also ghost-develop some race tracks on Mario Kart 8 (2014) but never publicly receive credit for it?

Anyway, then since 2014's Tropical Freeze they have not released a single thing. It's nice that they're being handed Metroid Prime 4 after someone else was colossally fucking it up, but man, what has that studio been up to? I'm pretty curious what 5-year project Rare was working on that evidently wasn't really coming together and is possibly now cancelled, if they have the time to suddenly take on a big project like Metroid Prime 4.

#17 Posted by tds418 (428 posts) -

@liquiddragon: From my memory of it (granted, it's been many years), MP2 at its best definitely evokes what made MP1 so great. It's a harder game, and I can see the dark world/normal world mechanics being divisive, but in terms of making you feel completely alone and exploring desolate but interesting environments it definitely delivers that in spades. Just give it a little time because the first hour or so is definitely more plot-heavy than anything in MP1. Past that, however, the game opens up and drops you into large environments and lets you explore and figure things out from there.

And they made the scanning system better!

#18 Posted by Efesell (4261 posts) -

@warpr said:
@atastyslurpee said:

Surely they are going to announce a Metroid Trilogy release on the Switch now, right or are they going to port the recent Metroid 2 remake?

Metroid Other M for switch ;)

The rare 'Coming to Switch!' announcement to be me with "Aah.. well I'm good....actually..'

#19 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (3011 posts) -

@bisonhero: If I were to guess, I bet Retro is being handed the development of Prime 4 now because whatever they've been working on is wrapping up and they're looking to move people over to a new project. I'm absolutely expecting an announcement and release of a Retro Studios game this year.

I've seen people saying that Retro sent Nintendo a concept demo of Prime 4, so if that is to be believed they essentially asked for this project. My speculation is that 2 years ago when Prime 4 was beginning, Retro was too deep into whatever game they've been working on to handle the project, so Nintendo looked elsewhere. Now that Retro is wrapping up their current project, they're free to do Prime.

#20 Posted by BoOzak (2497 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: I hope you're right, it wouldnt bode well for Metroid Prime 4 if the thing Retro has been making all this time never actually came out.

Anyway, sorry to be that guy but this sucks. I was actually quite curious what another studios take on the Prime formula would be. This is like the inverse of the Metal Gear (Solid) Rising developement situation.

#21 Posted by Shindig (4813 posts) -

@rejizzle said:

Yeah, Retro since 2014 has been kinda baffling.

• 2010: they release Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii, 3 years after Metroid Prime 3. OK, fine.
  • 2011: they contributed in making some of the race tracks in Mario Kart 7.
  • 2014: they release Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I mean, that game is solid, but 4 years between one release and the next? I guess they did stuff under the hood going from Wii to Wii U, but those 2 DKC games play largely the same and I don't think it takes 4 years just to generate a bunch of new art for a Donkey Kong game. Did they also ghost-develop some race tracks on Mario Kart 8 (2014) but never publicly receive credit for it?

Anyway, then since 2014's Tropical Freeze they have not released a single thing. It's nice that they're being handed Metroid Prime 4 after someone else was colossally fucking it up, but man, what has that studio been up to? I'm pretty curious what 5-year project Rare was working on that evidently wasn't really coming together and is possibly now cancelled, if they have the time to suddenly take on a big project like Metroid Prime 4.

You forgot about Re:Core.

#22 Posted by KingBonesaw (1345 posts) -

@shindig: ReCore was made by Armature and Comcept and published by Microsoft. Retro is a first party studio for Nintendo so they wouldn’t make games for anyone else.

#23 Posted by Shindig (4813 posts) -

Ah, I get it now. I remember a 'from the makers of Metroid Prime' chatter going round and that's where that came from.

#24 Posted by TwitterBeef (31 posts) -

So at what point can we say that the Switch has been a major disappointment?

#25 Posted by KingBonesaw (1345 posts) -

@twitterbeef: That's an interesting thought. I've been thinking lately that the Switch might be my favourite console of all time. I've had nothing but a fantastic experience with it for the past year that I've had one.

#26 Edited by ripelivejam (13077 posts) -
#27 Edited by NTM (11544 posts) -

It's cool that Retro is back on it, though it's gotta suck to be the development team behind whoever was creating the other one and having them go 'Nope, not good enough. Scrap it all!' That said, it makes me wonder though since we're a ways off of four now, so I can't imagine it being on the current Switch (unless the Switch lasts longer than I imagine). To be totally honest though, what I really want is for the trilogy to come on Switch and to have the option to use either gamepad (never been done for MP3) or the motion sensor for those that like it.

I really don't play the Switch much at all, and when I do it's only for about an hour at most, and that's every several months. Mario was the last game I sunk any real time into. My brother plays it quite a bit though, so it's not figuratively gathering dust. I've, unfortunately, as many times as I've tried, never finished Metroid Prime 2. It's a good game, I just got stuck in the Dark Aether world at some point and never went back. I did finish three though. I bet if I went back to two I'd breeze through it, but I just never went back.

#28 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2289 posts) -

@rahf said:

Kudos to Nintendo for taking that loss and having the guts to say, "No."

Yeah, that was my exact thought. Really happy they still have the quality control in place to be able to say "No" when it's needed. I am glad we don't have another Other M type of Metroid game. Even though Other M wasn't the worst game released that year, it was still subpar for Nintendo or Metroid quality.

#29 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15650 posts) -

Good on Nintendo for being up-front about it.

If Retro is taking over Metroid Prime 4, then I wonder what that means for the rumored "Star Fox Grand Prix" that was bandied about last year. I have to imagine that game is either almost done or totally cancelled, right?

#30 Posted by Efesell (4261 posts) -

@twitterbeef: It's been wildly popular and pretty successful. I don't know that I've seen more...'enthusiasm'.. for a console whenever games come out somewhere else first.

So I mean I guess you can start whenever you like but I'm not sure very many people will hear.

#31 Posted by SethMode (1876 posts) -

@efesell: I don't even understand the relevance of that statement, regardless of the person's feelings on the Switch.

This is probably good news, honestly, even if it's more of the same. I'd have been curious to see a different take, but not if it's terrible. And this makes it sound like it was probably terrible.

#32 Posted by TwitterBeef (31 posts) -

@efesell: It's sold well and had a great first year but since then there has been very little in terms of software. Some re-released Wii-U games, Tennis a new Smash Bros. Aside from Travis Strikes Back third party content has dried up completely and most of the indie games are inferior ports or are better played on other systems. The paid online service is a joke and virtual console looks like it will never happen. Now pretty much the one remaining marquee title they had on the horizon will probably not launch this gen. Hardly a glowing report card for a system whose hardware promised so much.

#33 Posted by TheWildCard (692 posts) -

I just hope we see something else they've been working on in between. If there's 8 years between TF and MP4 that would be such a bummer.

#34 Edited by tds418 (428 posts) -

@twitterbeef said:

@efesell: It's sold well and had a great first year but since then there has been very little in terms of software. Some re-released Wii-U games, Tennis a new Smash Bros.

Can't tell if you're trolling or not by leaving out two of the most critically acclaimed games on the system, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, neither of which are re-releases...

Edit: Nevermind, read too quickly and missed the since the first year part. Still, that's a huge year for Nintendo and not too much of a surprise the next year would be a little lighter.

#35 Posted by TwitterBeef (31 posts) -

@tds418: As a Wii-U owner I watched as third party completely abandoned that console then Nintendo themselves jumped ship. Switch had a strong first year in terms of software but that was largely due to BOTW which was a Wii-U game anyway. In the 18 months since then it seems like deja-vu all over again. I gave them a pass in 2018 but now with Metroid effectively canned what is there to look forward to in 2019? Woolly Yoshi?

#36 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (3011 posts) -

@tds418: As a Wii-U owner I watched as third party completely abandoned that console then Nintendo themselves jumped ship. Switch had a strong first year in terms of software but that was largely due to BOTW which was a Wii-U game anyway. In the 18 months since then it seems like deja-vu all over again. I gave them a pass in 2018 but now with Metroid effectively canned what is there to look forward to in 2019? Woolly Yoshi?

Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Yoshi of the things that have been announced. There could be more announced during their early year direct (whenever that happens), but even if those 5 are the only big first party games for 2019, that's still pretty good.

Pokemon in particular will be huge given it will be the first true Pokemon RPG on a home console, and Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are pretty heavy hitters in Nintendo's stable of properties. I consider those solid "tier 2" Nintendo properties just under the big ones like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon.

#37 Posted by KingBonesaw (1345 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: The way Metroid sells it would probably fit better as one of their tier 2 properties.

#38 Posted by Rejizzle (1070 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: The way Metroid sells it would probably fit better as one of their tier 2 properties.

Yeah. Love Metroid, but pretty sure Animal Crossing has sold more copies than Metroid despite having, what, 7 fewer games in the series not counting Pocket Camp.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.