Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Prime

Franchise »

A sub-series of the main Metroid games that is mostly handled by Retro Studios along with members from Nintendo's EAD and R&D1 divisions, and takes place between Metroid I and II.

Which Metroid Prime game is the best?

MugsMugsMugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By MugsMugsMugs

Poll Which Metroid Prime game is the best? (193 votes)

Metroid Prime 1: Trilogy 70%
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 13%
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 18%

Metro Prime Show Off

Choose one version of MP then explain why you choose it than other version.

• 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

No fucking way the first game was called "Trilogy". No way.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm checking Metroid Prime 1 assuming you mean the Trilogy edition of MP1. Also fuck Prime 3.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The first game called "Metroid Prime" only without "trilogy". Metroid Trilogy is the name of all three Metroid Prime games collection. I only tried the first two games of this trilogy, I hope I will try the third one soon, and I can say the first one is the best so far.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

MP1 is the only one I've finished, even though I have owned the Trilogy for ages. I've tried playing through 2 several times, but I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like that game, and it's not worth the time to finish. I'll probably just skip to 3 next time I'm in the mood to play one.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M SO CONFUSED. First game didn't have the subtitle "trilogy." Also why are you calling them "versions?" They're separate titles.

Also why is this specifically in the Prime 2 forum? *spins head around*

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There aren't many games better than Prime 1. Like, there's less than ten.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original Prime is in my top five all time. I thought 2 was better than 3. I hate camera control with the wiimote. Barf. Seems like 2 isn't well liked in these parts

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime 3 is the best. the other two are quite good, but they don't compare.

MugsMugsMugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ow Imsorry with the first version. I think its trilogy. hehe. sorry guys sorry.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some valid arguments for Echoes being the better game, but the accolade should go to Prime 1 by virtue of the fact that it came first. Much of what makes Echoes a great game is ripped directly from Prime 1. Corruption is right out. It split the world up into several planets and added badly VOed story, neutering the intensely immersive atmosphere and sense of brooding terror of the first two entries.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Metroid Prime 1 might be the better game, but Prime 2 is my favorite. It's very close I think. I think I like Prime 2 just because I was used to the mechanics from 1 and didn't have to think about it. Metroid Prime took me a while to get my head around. It's not like any other game ever made. But once you get it, it's genius.

Sadly I couldn't get into Metroid Prime 3, I just couldn't get into the Wiimote controls.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trilogy version of Prime 1.

So am I the only person that thinks the Wii controls make the game better?

MugsMugsMugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some says that Prime 2's map is a lil bit hard to adopt.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I have to give it to Prime 1, but I reeeeaaaally liked Prime 3, and didn't care for Prime 2.

Prime 3 made a bad first impression on me because of the default control scheme. Once I got into the menu and switched to "Advanced" aiming, it controlled smooth as butter. Probably the most fun I had with Wii motion controls. The 2nd and 3rd planets you visit (Cloud City and Space Pirates' homeworld) were some of the most amazing environments I've seen in games, ever. Great art direction.

Prime 2, all I really remember is that I quit at an underwater boss. The game felt like a slog to me.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dixavd

I have only played Prime 3, so I voted for that one.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoOzak

@oldenglishc said:

The trilogy version of Prime 1.

So am I the only person that thinks the Wii controls make the game better?

I thought that was widely regarded as the case? And Metroid Prime (Trilogy?) was the best. I wasnt a fan of Echoes. The boss fights were great but I hated going between light and dark versions of each area. It's something Nintendo keep doing and i've never been a fan of it. And Corruption was cool but segmenting the areas into planets kind of killed the sense of isolation that made the Metroid games for me.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Prime 3 but never got around to Prime 1 or 2. I was thinking of buying that Collection on the Wii but by the time I wanted to do that, it was crazy expensive.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They are all great in different ways but the first is easily the best.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd assume everyone would pick Metroid Prime since it's one of the best games ever and the others are only vaguely in the top 100. That said they're all great games.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them all equally...except that I don't and I think 1 is the best.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I beat the first one multiple times in the past, and I also beat three when that came out, but I never could get through two. I believe I got stuck on a part in the middle, and then never played further, three times. I got the trilogy when that came out on the Wii, and played each of them for a time, but I don't believe I beat any of them again. Oh, I chose the first. I think the second and third both retain impressive aspects, but Metroid Prime to me was an amazing game when it came out, while two and three just weren't as special to me (two, I actually didn't even play at launch despite loving the first, and had initially borrowed from a friend, as at the time, I wasn't actually that interested in playing it as I was into other things at the time). Honestly, Metroid Prime 2 is still a game I wish I beat, but I don't see that happening, if not ever, not any time soon. The Wii U has actually turned out to be like the Wii for me, where I'm rarely playing it, but if they put another Metroid Prime out, that'd be awesome and quite a surprise.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

1, only one I've beaten too

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

3, closely followed by 1, then 2.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first and third are some of my favourite all time games, but let's be hoesnt, the entire series is just great. I picked 3 though because I just loved how it controlled. Best Wii motion based game hands down.

F-Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By F-Metroid

Take a guess at what my favorite video game is. Heck, it's my favorite soundtrack, too. The opening title with the proper speakers is utterly amazing. I've never heard the opening theme sound so good!

Loading Video...

Listen to that madness! I've never wanted to marry music before.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

lol weird first option, though I get some people prefer the trilogy version.

The first one was a pretty magical experience in its day. Really pushed atmosphere very hard.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

Prime 1 was such a revelation, and still holds up amazingly well today. It's a top 5er all time for sure for me. It easily beats out 2 and 3, though I like 2 a ton. 3 lost some of the magic for me (but it's still fun).

In my experience, most people seem to like 1. It hit all the balancing acts. The real debate is between 2 and 3, and I feel like the split there is that people who are big Metroid fans like 2 more, where the more general fans likes 3 more. That's never going to be 100% accurate of course, but 2 was so crazy and intense that I think the big Metroid fans are the ones who really got into it. 3 seemed to be going for a broader appeal, and scaled back in some aspects of its design (like having multiple smaller worlds instead of a single big one).

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime 1 included the wavebird.

Game. Set. Match.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Prime 1 was a landmark game of its' day, kinda be hard for anything to top that.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime 1 was easily the best. I like two more than 3 only because 3 felt really easy and way more linear and that's not what I want in a Metroid game. One is better than two because two slows down too much for my liking and the dark world felt more frustrating than anything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@sethphotopoulos: your avatar looks like the face Alex would make after saying that. .

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Prime 1 because it's the only game I've finished of the three (which I finally got around to when I first got Metroid Prime Trilogy). I've only played like the first third of Prime 2 and 3, from what I'd played of Prime 2 I wouldn't be surprised if I liked it more than the original game when all's said and done.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By doctordonkey

The first Prime game is such an unbelievable marvel in so many areas (technically it's insane, how the fuck did they get that thing to run at 60 frames on the Gamecube and look as good as it does?) that it's kind of crazy not to say it's the best one. When that thing was first coming out, nobody had any faith that Retro could come even close to what they managed to produce. Rumor has it they spent the last 9 months of development working 90 hour work weeks. Metroid Prime is probably the single greatest example of translating the atmosphere and combat of a 2D series to 3D and completely nailing it in every way (Mario 64 and OoT aside).

Also, the soundtrack is easily in the top 10 best video game soundtracks of the last 20 years.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The prime one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Oh, hey, my answer is still valid ten months later!

And always will be. God, Prime 1 is such an excellent game. I have no idea what the hell the Giantbomb crew has against it, it's one of those great games that they dislike for vague reasons (sometimes it feels like it amounts to "well, it ain't Metroid 1, so people who love it are crazy!). Well, except for the controls, which I don't find a valid complaint because the game is built with those controls in mind. Resident Evil 4's controls are much weirder and Jeff is the only one who isn't a fan of that game. Also do you really want to play a first person shooter with the Gamecube's C-stick?

I'm not a fan of the Wii version, but that's largely because I'm just not a fan of the Wii-mote.

I want to see a proper port of this whole trilogy done on the PC. You don't have to respond to me to explain why that will never happen, but a man can dream.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nickhead

I have to choose Prime 1. I played through it a ton of times and it is the reason I fell in love with Metroid. Truly a landmark game for me personally, and led me to play every entry in the series.

I liked the Prime trilogy a lot - 2 and 3 had their own positives. But man, that first game is probably the most immersive video game experience I've ever had.

@believer258 I don't understand the dislike either. The shooting wasn't the focus, but still managed to be engaging in its own way.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

All excellent games, but gotta stick with the first one.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#38 gamer_152  Moderator

The first one. Exploring that world and that atmosphere for the first time was just great. The sequels aren't bad but neither of the returning journeys were as special as the first time. They basically nailed the format off the bat.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ezekiel

I'm not fond of Metroid Prime. I tried playing through it twice, but I always get bored at some point. First-person and auto-aim is not that I want from a 3D Metroid.

I also wish they'd update her suit. It looked better on the SNES, when you didn't see so much detail. It's ugly and bulky. It would be especially bad for her to be so bulky in a third-person game, which is what I want Metroid to be again. Also, she wouldn't fit in there. The legs and arms are too far apart and the giant shoulder balls seem pointless. I think they should do a cross section when designing her to make sure the suit accommodates her, like here:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.