Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Prime

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2002

Take control of Samus Aran in her first 3D adventure as she battles the Space Pirates on Tallon IV while uncovering the mysterious disappearance of its inhabitants.

Easily the best game to break

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I remember playing this game for countless hours just seeing how I could break it, i.e. getting items out of their proper order, or find locations to jump outside the world.  For example, if done correctly, you can lock onto a scan point that's just out of scanning range from your ship at the very beginning. and dash jump to get the space jump boots when you first you can actually snag any old missile pack so you can entirely skip the stupid wasp fight initially.  There are countless other ways to mess with the item order.  If you haven't tried it out, I highly suggest just popping in the game to attempt it.

picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By picklecannon

There's countless other games that are a lot more broken. SM64 and OoT come to mind. Metroid prime 2 is a lot more broken than prime 1. Seriously check our speed runs of SM64, OoT and prime 2.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Sambambo

Sounds like you should have bought a new game...

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor

@SuperSambo said:

Are you chiding him for playing an old game or suggesting that new games are somehow less broken? I don't think you'd get much support on either point in these forums, especially with today's launch first, patch later mentality...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd say Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty fun to break, partially because it's already broken for you. For example, the arena in the Balor fight is wide enough for you to sneak around him (figuratively; ironically, sending a character into sneak mode is the best way to get caught) and steal his piece of the Orb.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Vitor said:

@SuperSambo said:

Are you chiding him for playing an old game or suggesting that new games are somehow less broken? I don't think you'd get much support on either point in these forums, especially with today's launch first, patch later mentality...

I wonder if metroid prime was released today's mentality, would the out of order item fetching be patched out somehow?
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@StaticFalconar said:

@Vitor said:

@SuperSambo said:

I wonder if metroid prime was released today's mentality, would the out of order item fetching be patched out somehow?

No-ish.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I really loved reading about this a few years ago.
    Mostly because its so player fueled.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By kashif1

@StaticFalconar said:

@Vitor said:

@SuperSambo said:

I wonder if metroid prime was released today's mentality, would the out of order item fetching be patched out somehow?

If metroid prime was released with today's mentality there would be a prebuilt speedrun route. On another subject as much as I love this game I never finished it because it was too hard. Am I the only one that thought so.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By EarlessShrimp
    @kashif1: Definitely not the only one who thought it was hard.  When I said countless hours, I mean more hours than I would like to mention.... 

@picklecannon:   Sounds like I need to break out an n64 and give those a shot...
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Jack268

You wanna know a fun game to break? Twilight Princess. You can glitch out of the map using the wolf's "Midna co-op" attack and walk over to the Master Sword very early on, which makes it possible to shift into and out of wolf form during segments where you would normally be forced to use wolf form. 

Also, you can jump super far by doing a jump attack after tossing your boomerang. 

But yeah, Metroidvania-esque games are usually the best for this kind of thing.

picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By picklecannon

@Jack268 said:

You wanna know a fun game to break? Twilight Princess. You can glitch out of the map using the wolf's "Midna co-op" attack and walk over to the Master Sword very early on, which makes it possible to shift into and out of wolf form during segments where you would normally be forced to use wolf form. Also, you can jump super far by doing a jump attack after tossing your boomerang. But yeah, Metroidvania-esque games are usually the best for this kind of thing.

Dude.. the dungeon order for a typical OoT run is go into the well to get bombchus > Jabu Jabu > Get adult link (everything from this point on is done as adult link) > Dungongo Cavern > spirit temple > forest temple > Deku tree > Water temple > fire temple. Honestly I'd recommend for everyone to check out an OoT run at some point.

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/304851855 There's the link to the guy with the current world record running the game and explaining all of the glitches as he's doing them. It's not his best run but its still amazing to see it. OoT starts at around 39:40. If you've got two and a half hours to kill then watch it and prepare to get your mind blown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.