Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid

Franchise »

The Metroid series follows the missions of Samus Aran--a bounty hunter for the Galactic Federation--as she explores the galaxy fighting off Space Pirates and a variety of other enemies.

Help me get into classic 2D Metroid

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrostyRyan

Hey all, I'm sure I've played the 2D Metroid games at some point...but never at long lengths and certainly never finished them. The Prime trilogy is one of my FAVORITE trilogies ever. Seeing as Nintendo clearly cares about Metroid again, I want to get into the 2D ones finally. That Metroid 2 remake looks hype.

So I need to know what to play, or rather, what's worth playing. The big ones.

From what I gather, the original Metroid doesn't hold up and it's pointless to play it since Metroid Zero Mission exists. Zero Mission is apparently the original game Super-ified and it's just better? Mkay so I got that one down. Should I even BOTHER with the original game though? I have it on my 3DS. Same for Metroid 2. Should I bother with the original 2 Metroid games?

And of course, Super Metroid. I know it's a classic and it's apparently perfect and blah blah blah so obviously I'm gonna play that one. Should I play it BEFORE Zero Mission though. Is there a narrative here, as loose as it may be? What about Metroid Fusion?

Help a guy out

EDIT: I'm gonna play them in chronological story order. Zero Mission, Prime 1-3, Return(3DS remake,) Super, Other M, Fusion. Yes I'm replaying the primes before Return releases. Yes I'm crazy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The story in the original three Metroid games is fairly barebones and told mostly through visuals, so play them in whichever order you like.

Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission are pretty much inarguably the best ones. 2 doesn't hold up well because of its repetitive corridors that make it hard to navigate, 1 is rough around the edges though I never finished it, and Fusion is... well, you should play Fusion, it's good, but it's way more linear and there's a story in it that has no business being as ever-present as it is.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Don't bother with the original Metroid, or the original Metroid 2: The Return of Samus. As for Super? Go back and play it later if you find that you're enjoying 2D Metroids, but that game hasn't really been one of my favorites. Samus feels a little slower, a little chunkier in that game. It's one of those old games that gets maybe a bit more praise than it deserves. A good game for sure, but I don't think it was as good as most people say. I would recommend you put time into:

• Metroid Fusion
    • Zero Mission
    • AM2R

Fusion is my favorite of the 2D Metroids, and my 2nd favorite in the franchise, behind Prime 3.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FrostyRyan

@relkin: Wait, what's AM2R? And you really like Prime 3 more than the original? I always thought the first was the best. 3 is fantastic but a bit too linear for me.

Ok from what I gather it seems best I'll play Zero Mission, Super, and then Fusion

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: As someone who has specifically had trouble getting into the 2D Metroid games, I can't reccommend Zero Mission enough. It walks a very fine line by generally letting you know where to go next without making it too easy to actually get there. I bounced off of Super Metroid several times and Zero Mission held my hand just enough to let me understand what makes these games really special. As a primer for this type of game, I think it's perfect.

Also, AM2R is a fan remake of Metroid 2 released last year. It got cease and desisted by Nintendo after launching, but is still fairly easy to find if you go looking for it. I haven't played it myself but it's apparrently very good.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Relkin

@frostyryan: Loved Prime 3. I know some really didn't like using the wiimote, but I got used to it in ten or fifteen minutes. Aside from what I think are the most memorable boss encounters in the trilogy/franchise, I also really enjoyed most of the regions.

As for AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), it's what the original game should have been, if not for the limitations of the original gameboy. Easy enough to find and download, it's a polished product for sure. Definitely deserves to be in any Metroid conversation.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

Just look the chronology up; it is not easy to follow just by the game. I'd say just play Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, and Fusion. I am a much bigger fan of Prime than the 2D ones, but I like them well enough. I'm way more excited for Prime 4 despite it not being Retro. I doubt I'll even play the new 2D one honestly since I never play the 3DS. I never finished Super Metroid since someone (can't remember if it was me or my brother) accidentally tapped the SNES when I was nearing the end and the system froze, erasing my entire file. I also regrettably never finished Metroid Prime 2. I've beaten the first Prime multiple times and finished three twice I believe. I just got lost somewhere in Prime 2 and gave up to play other things. I'll definitely try to get through it now that four is coming, but closer to whenever that game releases.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By peacebrother

@relkin said:

Don't bother with the original Metroid, or the original Metroid 2: The Return of Samus. As for Super? Go back and play it later if you find that you're enjoying 2D Metroids, but that game hasn't really been one of my favorites. Samus feels a little slower, a little chunkier in that game. It's one of those old games that gets maybe a bit more praise than it deserves. A good game for sure, but I don't think it was as good as most people say. I would recommend you put time into:

• Metroid Fusion
    • Zero Mission
    • AM2R

Fusion is my favorite of the 2D Metroids, and my 2nd favorite in the franchise, behind Prime 3.

This has to be the most controversial opinion of the Metroid series I've ever seen. I respect that.

(Outside of someone thinking Other M is the best)

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nicksmi56

I'd actually advise against AM2R just because Samus Returns might feel redundant when it comes out later this year.

Otherwise, go with Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Fusion. Order doesn't matter that much since Super opens with a recap of the first two. They're not exactly story heavy games besides Fusion, and even that's easy enough to understand. If you really care that much, save Fusion for last. I hear Zero Mission is great for beginners, though I haven't gotten around to playing my copy yet.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By peacebrother
    Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just go with Zero mission and super, other stuff is neat but if those two other games don't do it for you the other games won't either.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely start with Zero Mission! Skip Metroid 2 and either play AM2R or wait for Nintendo's remake. Then Super Metroid, then Fusion. Those are definitely the key 2D games. They're great in a Metal Gear Solid kind of way in that there's similarities across the board thematically and environmentally but it's more of a comfort and then they expand it in a fantastic way!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Super Metroid is the best or second best game ever made. AM2R is good. Zero Mission/Fusion are good. NES Metroid it just depends on your tolerance for old stuff. The order in which you play them is pretty meaningless so I'd say start with Super and then just play Super like 15 times in a row because it won't get old. After that you can play the other ones which, while good, are only sort of fringe top 100 games.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a nice chunk of Zero Mission. It's what I expected. It's exactly what I fucking expected. It SUCKS.

jk

It's awesome so far. Wonderful graphics too. I'm glad I'm not playing the original. How long are these games?

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peacebrother

@frostyryan said:

Played a nice chunk of Zero Mission. It's what I expected. It's exactly what I fucking expected. It SUCKS.

jk

It's awesome so far. Wonderful graphics too. I'm glad I'm not playing the original. How long are these games?

Like 4-8 hours depending on which one. I think Zero Mission is relatively short.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jk

100% speed runs for Zero Mission are sub-hour; low % runs are obviously shorter. Casual runs are likely in the 3 hour + range. It also depends on what you're trying to do. 100% with no guides will take some time, not using the Chozo Statues for hints also adds time. Take your time with both ZM and Fusion and enjoy the pinnacle of the 2D games. Also, wear headphones (if possible). The music and sound effects, especially in Fusion, are amazing, which is lost with regular speakers.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jk

Glad you're enjoying it :) I'm planning on going through Super Metroid after Persona 4 myself.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have any way to, check out Axiom Verge as well.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: I guess that game is very similar to metroid?

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fusion, definitely Fusion! That game is so good!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished Zero Mission. LOVED IT. Only two parts bothered me- Mother Brain and those two black pirates at the end escape sequence. FUCK THAT. You save, fight mecha ridley, and then it doesn't let you save after that. You gotta escape the place. Fine. but throwing those two incredibly hard enemies at the end there? God that was frustrating. Mother Brain was also frustrating until I got a good pattern going...still felt like bullshit as you're just being bombarded from every angle possible. Fantastic game though. I could easily tell where the original game ended and the bonus ending level started. Wonderful addition, the stealth part was lots of fun and the feeling of getting your fully upgraded insane suit was exhilerating. Question regarding the story- what the fuck is up with the ancient chozo wall or whatever? What was that flashback with Samus as a little girl? Why is she etched into it? What was that all about?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BoOzak

@frostyryan: From what I recall of the manga (yes I read the manga) Samus and her family were at a dig site in Zebes and they were killed by space pirates looking for some relics, maybe she etched herself into the wall? Cant remember. Also she was raised by Chozo and loves/hates some guy named Adam.

I would say AM2R is functionally the best 2D Metroid although Zero Mission has better pacing and Super has better atmosphere. Fusion is just weird, but worth playing.

If you're going to play them all then play AM2R next as it leads quite nicely into Super Metroid.

EDIT: I was wrong her parents died at K-2L and she was raised at Zebes by the Chozo after that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Metroid a lot and if you're willing to give it the time, I think the NES one is still pretty good. It's difficult and there's an annoying password system in the US version. Even still, I don't recommend it as your first. I would play Super or Zero Mission first, then Fusion. Fusion is pretty difficult so it helps to get used to the play style before you start that one. Metroid 2, regardless of what most people say, I think is good enough. A lot of the items you get in Super Metroid made their debut here and it's more influential on the series in that way than people give it credit for. It could use a map though.

I think Metroid (NES) and Metroid 2 (Gameboy) are really about how much you love the series. If you don't really care just play Zero Mission and AM2R.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember really enjoying Zero Mission if it is the one I am thinking about.

orborborb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By orborborb

Approach the NES original as an arcade game and try to be surprised by everything else that it is, still my favorite game of the series and the best soundtrack of all time. None of the other games capture the combat or music at all.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FrostyRyan

@boozak: Hey I like mangas! is it at least good? I'm feeling the metroid hype lately. I want it all.

Oh and I'm gonna wait for Return of Samus as it's the official remake of Metroid 2 and not a fan thing. I'm sure the person who made AM2R put their heart and soul into it and I'm sure it's good, but this is what I'm doing since it's the real thing and it's coming soon.

By the way, I'll lay out my insane gameplay now I guess. So I just finished Zero Mission...and now I'm gonna play them in chronological story order. Yeah. I'm gonna replay the prime trilogy. I already started Prime 1. Then from what I understand, Metroid 2 takes place after that. The release of the remake, which is September, should line up well with my completion of Prime 3. THEN I'm gonna go super, other m, and fusion.

Yes, I'm playing Other M and nobody can stop me. It's too interesting an attempt to pass up. I'm sure I'll be disappointed but I NEED to see how they tackled a more story heavy Metroid game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorkamorkaorka: For now I'm skipping the original two, sorry. If I'm up to it sometime I'll try to tackle them after I'm done with my series playthrough. Remakes are kinda just better than clunky NES games, man.

I tried playing the NES metroid after it unlocked in zero mission and I was like whoooaaaa

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@frostyryan: I wasnt really into it. But it's a light read and you're in pretty deep so you might as well check it out.

Other M is totally fine, the story goes all over the place the same way a lot of japanese games do but it's a simple yet satisfying action game with a little exploration thrown in for kicks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: That's understandable. I like playing them because I like seeing how game features develop in a series. Metroid 1 has a survival feel (not like Rust or whatever) to it because of how rudimentary it is but it's not for everyone. It has almost more atmosphere than Super Metroid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.