Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroidvania

Concept »

A style of action-adventure gameplay revolving around exploring a labyrinth with the necessity of locating new items and equipment to progress beyond otherwise impassable obstacles. The concept is named for its common usage in the Metroid and Castlevania franchises. While the term most commonly refers to 2D games, it can also refer to 3D games.

Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night?

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night? (170 votes)

Super Metroid 44%
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 56%

I was looking for this poll, but didn't find it so I made it. The question is simple: which do you prefer?

These are two of my favorite games of all time, I know a lot of people agree. I'm currently going through Super Metroid again and having recently gone through SotN again, I think I might prefer SM over it. The reason simply being that SotN has more faults, I.E. the voice acting and weird seemingly unnecessary tricks to fill in the map. I don't actually mind either of those things, but it does point out how much more streamlined SM is. So, what's your pick, if you could only play one?

• 
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

Symphony, the movement's a lot tighter so I prefer the combat, too. Personal preference on the music and art, as well. It also happens to be a top 2 game for me (the other being Mario World).

I wasn't a big fan of Super Metroid the first time I played it (after SotN). But I've come to realize just how good it is over time.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Super Metroid is a game I've finished many times.

Symphony of the Night is a game I've tried to finish a few times and found it hard to press on. I don't know why, exactly, but I just get really bored of it.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's a really hard one, but I would probably say SotN. I'm more of a sci-fi guy, but Symphony just has a certain something.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Rafaelfc

Super Metroid for the atmosphere alone. But I happen to think it plays fantastic to this day.

Symphony of the Night is of course a classic, but it never really grabbed me the same way as Metroid, I always peter out when I get to the inverted castle, to me the game becomes really boring by that point.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sotn, mostly for aestethic reasons. Super Metroid is freaking fantastic.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks for reminding me that I have never played Super Metroid. SotN is hella cool, though. I think I have to find a copy of SM now, so that I can get back to you poll-wise :P

Is it on VC for 3DS by any chance?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ya know, as much as I like to consider myself a huge Metroid fan, I think I'd have to go with SotN. That game is on some next level, top tier shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Havent played super metroid so I'm abstaining from voting. But as the years have pressed on, I've come to the conclusion SOTN is a little overrated.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guthwulf: it is on the 3DS virtual console, provided you have the new model (I don't, but that would be a fine way to play it).

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SotN is pretty good, but I like Super Metroid's sense of atmosphere better. The story in SotN isn't great.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jsnyder82

Super Metroid, easy. I don't really understand Castlevania games, to be honest. They always tend to bore me.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Metroid without a doubt. SotN is a great Metroidvania, but Super Metroid is nearly fucking perfect.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sry, but Metroid created the sub genre / game style. SOTN only did its own spin on it and should not be honored by having part of its name involved in 'Metroidvania.'

Thus, Metroid is superior and should be winning this.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BoOzak

Super Metroid. I prefer the atmosphere and the way Samus moves over the weird swagger that Alucard and the Belmonts seem so keen on. The music in SOTN is amazing though. (and in most Castlevania games for that matter)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Haven't played Super Metroid though I've always wanted to. SoTN is puuurty gooood, though.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

SotN. I like the powers and equipment/rpg mechanics better. Personal taste of what I enjoy better too, that style of gothic castlevania vs space and aliens. I like anime, but I hate anime castlevania stuff only because I adore the style present in SotN and castlevanias similar to that. Honestly it feels like a GOTY discussion of trying to break down one amazing game to have another amazing game be "higher", they're both great, but that is my vote if I have to choose one. It might not exist without super metroid, but I don't have to pick the Odyssey as the best gaming console just because we might not have the newer consoles without it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pyrodactyl

As someone devoid of nostalgia for both of these I would say SotN holds up way better. It's expansive and deep in a way Metroid isn't. Both are great and Metroid basically invented the genre but SotN did it better.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Why not both?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

Definitely Super Metroid.

Granted, I came to SOTN over 15 years after it came out. But I felt like I got overleveled way too quickly, and the controls felt clunky. Still a great game though. That art-style still looks gorgeous today.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While there is something to be said for both of them, I just remember the controls in Super Metroid being clunky as hell?

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Super Metroid.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: that not how the internet works.

Anyway i never played sotn but super metroid.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Castevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I never finished either of those. Super Metroid had a terrible quicksand platforming section that I couldn't get past and I couldn't figure out where to go in Symphony of the Night after a while.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Belegorm

SotN. The looks, sounds, overall feel of the gameplay is incredible.

Also, if you avoid faqs or played it back in the day, the secrets in that game are next level. Some people went YEARS before they found the upside down castle!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.