Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 18, 2020

Microsoft's signature flight simulator returns for a whole new generation using Microsoft's Azure AI technology, satellite data and 4K textures.

Screenshot Blog: Bristol? I hardly knew her!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cikame

It's not as dumb as it sounds, my first job was in Bristol but it was short lived and despite technically living in Bristol i've only been to the city a few times outside work... ANYWAY.

Welcome to my screenshot folder and my latest Flight Sim adventure, last time i suggested i'd go find some natural beauty but i haven't decided where to go, and i noticed Bristol had received a photogrammetry update so i figured i'd check it out, and now we're here.

The resolution of this city is less than the previous places i've been to but i still managed to squeeze something out of it, so let's fly! But first we must meet our noble pegasus for the afternoon.

What would suit flying around Bristol? You know... i live here... i'm not afraid to have a laugh, introducing the Bluemesh Skywaves Amphibious Ultralight.

No Caption Provided

Apparently inspired by the Polaris AM-FIB, maybe we can find some ponds to land in, i just noticed the GoPro, that's hilarious.

No Caption Provided

My knowledge of Bristol starts at Temple Meads train station, i never saw the front of the station as i always entered and exited from a weird little side door, a lot seems to have changed, last time i was in Bristol was... 14 years ago.

No Caption Provided

Why am i taking a close up of this road? One time when walking from the train station a lady riding a bike right in front of me got her bag caught in the front wheel and face planted, worst accident i've ever witnessed, i walked past the pool of blood for 2 weeks so this road is quite memorable, hope she's ok.

No Caption Provided

I worked at a computer repair place down here.

No Caption Provided

One time my boss asked me to get him a bacon sandwich from a Tesco up the road but i didn't know where it was, i saw this shop with the yellow fascia that was literally advertising bacon sandwiches so i got it from there, it was so scary, there were two fat trucker looking dudes sat in the corner and i had to ask a 70/80 year old lady to make the sandwich, they had an arcade machine but i didn't know what it was, it had vector graphics, one of those places you have no idea how it's still in business.

No Caption Provided

And that concludes my knowledge of Bristol, now we can explore. The layers of this building are insane, peoples homes, a parking garage, something else in the middle, a tunnel leading to another building, what's going on?

No Caption Provided

Another fun building combo, they're so close together.

No Caption Provided

"I want a circle" "why?" "I'm making a circle" "fine".

No Caption Provided

I just really enjoy thinking about how and why and when construction plans are made, this is simple and symmetrical but everything around it is a mess, maybe it's ok if your SimCity isn't beautiful.

No Caption Provided

I liked this building with the yellow digital camo.

No Caption Provided

Some gothic architecture to spice it up.

No Caption Provided

I don't know what this is, it's like someone plopped it in the car park, reminds me of a pillbox in Command & Conquer.

No Caption Provided

There's not many beauty shots in Bristol so take em when you get em, spot the ferris wheel.

No Caption Provided

Again with the construction plans, who comes up with these unique little ideas.

No Caption Provided

Cute houses.

No Caption Provided

It's the SS Great Britain, i think i went on it as a kid. I asked my mum, she says yes.

No Caption Provided

Another beauty shot, though the bridge is a bit garbled up close.

No Caption Provided

It's amazing how far it stretches out, i took a few shots like this.

No Caption Provided

I guess there's a statue in the middle of this little park, it stands out on Google Maps.

No Caption Provided

We seem to have caught the The Downs music festival under construction, pretty neat.

No Caption Provided

I was surprised how legible the text is.

No Caption Provided

"I made a circle, and a square... zig zags?"

No Caption Provided

A hill with a thing on the top is always fun.

No Caption Provided

Is it me or does this parking garage have a glass quarter pipe?

No Caption Provided

I couldn't make up my mind if this was community gardens or something else when i noticed something up ahead, you know what time is it.

No Caption Provided

We finally encountered our first car yard, or maybe two, or maybe three, i'm pretty sure some are on a higher level so that might just be a car park, regardless i'm excited to finally find one, bonus points for mess but there's too much empty space, a generous 6/10.

No Caption Provided

Another wide shot, i try to take shots of specific things but the variety was good in this one.

No Caption Provided

IKEA, now we just need a water sanitation plant and we've got bingo.

No Caption Provided

Next to the IKEA are these long tanks, i thought they were interesting, why am i like this.

No Caption Provided

Can't wrap my head around this, it's just bananas.

No Caption Provided

Hidden amongst the similar looking houses is this pretty little place.

No Caption Provided

This feels like a very Bristol thing to me, a chimney from an old factory still standing while everything else is gone.

No Caption Provided

Apparently they're going to build houses and a park here but keep the chimney.

No Caption Provided

Gotta take shots of unique structures when you see them, the rough looking sports areas make me think it's a school but it's quite fancy for a school.

No Caption Provided

The resolution is quite low here but i can tell it's a fancy estate.

No Caption Provided

Told you i'd be looking for a pond, that random van parked by the trees is interesting.

No Caption Provided

I would love to know why this place is alone on top of a hill, it doesn't look big enough to warrant its car park.

No Caption Provided

The British countryside looks good in flight sim, i wonder what this lorry yard is for, weird location for it.

No Caption Provided

Approaching the river Severn we see a lot of larger infrastructure.

No Caption Provided

Hell yeah another car yard, in the middle of nowhere, pretending he's half in the martian desert, love it, organised but still messy and surrounded by countryside, 9/10... wait... oh my...

No Caption Provided

You can't do this to me, you can't show me a lovely little car yard and then this, what is this... why is this here and wha... just 10/10, i don't even know what the factory looking thing is, let's just move on.

No Caption Provided

I love wondering what goes on at factories, could be a power plant, could be something else.

No Caption Provided

The logistics of this place must be nuts, how any of it functions i don't know.

No Caption Provided

Ok this is getting silly, i don't think it qualifies as a car yard, it must just be a place imported cars get parked before moving on, unless, this many people actually work here...

No Caption Provided

We've seen car yards, a lorry yard, how about an excavator yard.

No Caption Provided

Water sanitation, bingo!

No Caption Provided

Docks look great from the air.

No Caption Provided

Another angle.

No Caption Provided

These must also be imported, docks are another logistical nightmare i don't understand.

No Caption Provided

Ok, ok... ok... we have to stop, this is too much, i think i found every car on the planet in one location, it's actually disturbing how many cars are in this shot, the photogrammetry ends here so they're all 2D (probably because it would break your computer), madness, we might have more cars than people at this point.

No Caption Provided

We leave Bristol with a flight along the river Severn, here's the longer of the two bridges that connects south England with Wales (not rendered properly here, it's supposed to be a suspension bridge).

No Caption Provided

Heading to Filton airport to end the adventure, are those dirt tracks down there? Furthering my theory that most airports have some kind of race track nearby.

No Caption Provided

I didn't think i'd find much to take shots of in Bristol but i think i did ok, this was spaced over 3 days and i wasn't sure if i was even going to post it, but i've got all these shots so... why not, thanks for looking, hope you liked it.

I exercise my right to fly off into the sunset, where will we go next time?

No Caption Provided

(Full disclosure this was sunrise, i lied)

Update

I'm a dumbass, didn't even occur to me, if this is the only adventure i have in the UK it would be real stupid to not have any images of the Red Arrows.

No Caption Provided

I had two ideas, either i'd make multiple passes of an area and try to photoshop it together into a Red Arrows flyby, or i'd just do a stunt with one which would be way less time consuming, so i headed towards the bridge from before and something really cool happened, another player in the same plane started flying with me.

No Caption Provided

Someone else who bought the Hawk T1 was also hanging around in Bristol, pretty amazing, we landed and took off again together.

No Caption Provided

In my rush to take pictures i accidentally put the parking brake on and screwed it up :D.

No Caption Provided

I went back to my original task of flying under the bridge into a high G ascent with smoke and while i was paused my new friend zig zagged around it.

No Caption Provided

Kaburorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've just moved to Bristol a few months ago so it's fun seeing a flyover of the city that I'm still learning my way around :)

Nice shots my friend

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaburorne: I'm sorry it lacks any knowledge or direction :P

Kaburorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not at all! I like a ramble through Bristol. Makes me want to update Flight Sim and have a mosey myself. That aircraft is wacky as hell

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I enjoyed this. I think those dirt tracks are supposed to be a golf course.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArmoredMachine

It's actually a cool idea to do a virtual flight simulator tour of a major city that you live in (or near). I like it. It also helps with gestalt memory too, probably. πŸ˜€

πŸ‘ Have a clap, since there are no upvotes here. (I'm used to other sitesπŸ˜…)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.