Microsoft Pinball Arcade is a pinball game developed by Mir Dialogue and published by Microsoft Studios for the PC platform. A Game Boy Color port was also released developed by Saffire and published by Classified Games.
Microsoft Pinball Arcade is a compilation of seven classic real world pinball machines re-created digitally. All of the tables featured in Microsoft Pinball Arcade were originally created by Gottlieb and are meant to start at tables from the 1930s and move forward in time from there.
A little known hidden feature of the PC version of the game is the use of CDs for custom soundtracks for the first five tables. While each of the first five tables technically has their own music track on the Microsoft Pinball Arcade disc—Haunted House and Cue Ball Wizard use emulated ROMs that feature their full soundtracks—none of the game's installation options in the setup program copy these tracks to the user's PC. If the game is fully installed to the PC, players could use any CD with separate audio tracks and the game will use each of the first five tracks on the disc as each of the first five tables' music soundtracks.
Tables (In Chronological Order)
- Baffle Ball - (originally released in 1931)
- Humpty Dumpty - (originally released in 1947; not available on Game Boy Color)
- Knock Out - (originally released in 1950)
- Slick Chick - (originally released in 1963)
- Spirit of '76 - (originally released in 1976)
- Haunted House - (originally released in 1982; the PC trial features this table)
- Cue Ball Wizard - (originally released in 1992; not available on Game Boy Color)
PC System Requirements
- Multimedia PC with a Pentium 90 MHz or higher processor
- Microsoft™ Windows™ 95 or Windows 98 operating system or later; or Windows NT™ Workstation operating system version 4.0 or later with Service Pack 3
- 16 MB of RAM for Windows 95/98; or 24 MB of RAM for Windows NT
- 15 MB hard disk space required for minimum installation; Additional 20 MB required for installation process. Swap file must be a minimum of 30 MB
- Microsoft DirectX® 6.0-compatible sound card
- Microsoft DirectX 6.0-compatible 1 MB PCI video card capable of at least 640 x 480 256 color display
- Double-speed CD-ROM drive
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
- Microsoft DirectX 6.0-compatible joystick or game pad (optional)