Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

How do I perform a "brutalize" move?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Sterling

I have strike from above. But I have no idea how to make it a "Brutalize". I'm trying to do one of the dagger story missions. And I have to Brutalize a captain. But I can't figure out how to make it trigger. Help. What am I not figuring out? How do I do this?

bhelyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's a brutalize ability you can unlock when you get an ability point so spend. On the PC, you right click when they're highlighted in red (i.e. when you'd normally stealth kill or brand them), and that brutalizes them. No idea what it is on a controller.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By xanadu

@bhelyer said:

There's a brutalize ability you can unlock when you get an ability point so spend. On the PC, you right click when they're highlighted in red (i.e. when you'd normally stealth kill or brand them), and that brutalizes them. No idea what it is on a controller.

On the controller it's Right Trigger + Y.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The brutalize is really just for getting rid of surrounding enemies. A large portion of them get scared and run off. Seems like a weird choice considering it has to be done from stealth mode, though. I very rarely use it. Mainly just when missions call for it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: I find it extremely useful when facing captains and other named dudes who have a bunch of archers or spear guys around them. It's not impossible to dodge that shit while focusing on a melee guy, but it's way easier to not have to worry about things flying at you.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Camelizer
    @xanadu said:

@bhelyer said:

On the controller it's Right Trigger + Y.

Just to cover the last of the potential platforms that's R2+Triangle on the PS4/PS3 controller.

I actually just did that mission your talking about. I basically just stuck to the rooftops and stealth killed the archers until I was on the roof right above that stage he's on. Then what you want to do is hold whatever button (whatever it is on PC, right trigger, R2) until the guy is highlighted red. Then press the "brutalize" button (Y, Triangle, whatever the hell it is on PC). You should then leap on that guy from above and proceed to brutally murder him causing mass panic.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Brutalize is great crowd control, especially if you add a rune that adds additional chance for more Uruks to get frightened when they see it. Between Brutalize, Stun, and Vault Stun, you can CC a huge group of enemies with little effort.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Brutalize is also a great combo into combat as it starts you out with a 5x hit streak. Once you have the later unlocks that allow for the specials to be used with only a 5x hit streak it's a really great opener for combat. It's also pretty satisfying to use on captains that have been particularly bothersome for you.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sterling

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I don't have the skill unlocked then. Because when I am above someone and they are highlighted in red, I only have the option for the normal kill with square. No prompt for triangle. I'll look for it on the upgrade menu.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you can start the brutalize mission you should have it unlocked. Otherwise it would say "unlock brutalize to play this mission" or something like that.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I did have it unlocked, I guess I just never noticed the triangle option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.