Anyone else playing on Nemesis difficulty?

#1 Posted by p4r4digm (18 posts) -

At e3 the devs talked a big game about how people who bragged about never dying in SoM should play their nemesis mode. While I really enjoyed the OP power fantasy aspect of the end of the first game, I was a little sad that there weren't any further challenges to face so I had kind of set my mind on running the nemesis mode in this release.

I've made a terrible mistake.

I have died in the opening area of the game maybe more than in the first game total. Granted I've never professed to be any good at any of this shit, but holy god. The single-rally-attempt restriction is brutal. Every hit takes so much life, and actually killing a captain feels like maybe 50/50 for whether or not they'll actually die.

I definitely turned the game off completely tilted and on edge last night. But this morning I'm feeling like diving back in, trying to get a little further into the story, unlock more stuff, and take it a little slower. Because holy shit actually overcoming it all and getting a kill is the best feeling.

#2 Edited by linkster7 (1370 posts) -

I'm doing the same. You should fast track to the A+B special move that lets you insta drain enemies while fighting, it really helps too have a fast way to regain HP. Also I found putting the highest level green gem into the bow so that I can run away and head shot enemies for some extra life is a good safe way to regain a little HP. But the thing that has saved me the most is running away until I find an unsuspecting orc to stealth drain for HP then run back to the fight.

It get's a lot easier when you get to ACT 2 and can dominate enemies so you can have some help in your most dire situations. Until then just pick your fights carefully, use stealth and don't be afraid to run the fuck away.

What I am worried about though is that making the game this difficult also effectively makes it longer, I'm not sure how many zones there are but I might be a bit tired of this game by the end of it. I spent like 2 hours in one place yesterday trying to kill this one dude who always got so insanely lucky and survived somehow, lots of other captains fell but this one guy just wouldn't let up. It was great fun though

#3 Posted by p4r4digm (18 posts) -

I'm doing the same. You should fast track to the A+B special move that lets you insta drain enemies while fighting, it really helps too have a fast way to regain HP. Also I found putting the highest level green gem into the bow so that I can run away and head shot enemies for some extra life is a good safe way to regain a little HP. But the thing that has saved me the most is running away until I find an unsuspecting orc to stealth drain for HP then run back to the fight.

Ah! I didnt see that instant-drain on the tree that's great! But yes the game definitely pounds it into you that you gotta run sometimes. I found I can sometimes get up on a building and then drain the first orc who climbs up before the others climb up behind him.

I am also a bit worried about what this ends up scaling into later in the game, if you just end up with immune-to-every-fucking-thing orcs from dying so much or what. Dunno if I'll have to knock down to normal later or what. I played the first game a few hours at a time, never really binging it, so Im entirely ok if this one takes forever to get through that way

#4 Posted by WheresDerrick (292 posts) -

Just like the first game, rush through the missions doing nothing else until you are able to dominate enemies onto your side (for some reason this is no longer called branding?)

Being able to call in bodyguards helps as well as being able to instant dominate. I am glad it takes a lot more to dominate a named Uruk now, like you can't just dominate all of them when they are broken, you have to actually be a higher level which means you need to work more; I was able to brand everyone in the first game very quickly which meant I missed out a lot on the Nemesis stuff.

I do like some other added surprise challenges too, like another Uruk might ambush you in the middle of a fight or you kill one Uruk and then his brother shows up to get revenge, so if you were barely holding on at the end of the fight guess what, here's more for you.

#5 Edited by pyrodactyl (4143 posts) -

That sounds like my kind of thing. You might've just convinced me to buy this damn game. I played Arkham Asylum on hard the first time through and MAN. I died like 20 times in the first tutorial encounter. Since then every game with the Batman combat has been a cake walk. This nemesis mode sounds refreshing

#6 Edited by zombievac (488 posts) -

Yeah, I've had the same issues with Mordor (never challenging, all the way to "WTF I can't even make an Orc with an army of captains to give me a challenge"). Not bragging, it was just that easy once you understood the systems and powers, and min maxed on the runes.

But, so far (and I fear this won't last), Nemesis has killed me a lot of times so far in the beginning of this game (I can't brand yet, I get sucked into Vendettas and not missing timed missions), and it has actually been great. I had one dude who I think I killed 6 times total, maybe 5, and by the time he came back the last time, he was ridiculous. A sewed on head, metal plates for a skull with exposed brain, toasted body all over, and 3 of 4 limbs were claws, pegs, or festering messes held together by metal rods. He rode a Caragor, and he needed it, they hadn't invented wheelchairs yet! It was a lot of fun actually, and I died many times in the process.

Once I have a bdoyguard, can call in soliders, and brand with shadow strike/brand, etc... then I have a feeling it will be pretty easy again, with its insane "you'd never survive this" moments still of course.

But I'm really loving it so far.

#7 Posted by p4r4digm (18 posts) -

But, so far (and I fear this won't last), Nemesis has killed me a lot of times so far in the beginning of this game (I can't brand yet, I get sucked into Vendettas and not missing timed missions), and it has actually been great.

Same here, I died 5+ times before even unlocking the first fast travel point, got caught in a loop of continuing to try and carve out any success i could possible get from that first little stronghold area. Think I need to put my head down and just charge through to act 2.

I saw a dude on the steam community boards saying that the thing that really jacks you up later on is how quickly they adapt. Like you'll have a guy thats killed you so many times that they only have 1 or 2 damage methods left that can still hurt them. Then you only get halfway through killing them with that method before they adapt and become immune :X

#8 Posted by Efesell (3326 posts) -

Nah I really do not wish to be sorely challenged by any given scrub. I prefer the challenge in this to come from overextension.

#9 Posted by doctordonkey (1572 posts) -

Really liking Nemesis difficulty so far. It's aptly named, because it forces you to engage with the Nemesis system much more. Number one issue with the first game was how insanely easy it was due to wraith flurry and executions, and they seem to be much more limited now. Adaptation is a cool mechanic, you can't just spam the same shit over and over and cheese it. I hope this keeps up, late game Talion was much too strong in Shadow of Mordor, we'll see if they make the same mistake.

Overall, much better first impression than SoM.

#10 Edited by pyrodactyl (4143 posts) -

"I don't know guys, this doesn't seem that hard. Only died like twice in the first 5 hours." He said before promptly getting murdered 5 times in 30 minutes.

Ok, it may have been harder than I thought but for now it doesn't feel like I don't have enough tools to deal with some situations. I hope it gets better because the special move system is way less generous than any game with Batman combat so I'm just swinging inneffectively and countering only getting to do an execution once in a blue moon.

#11 Edited by Rasrimra (420 posts) -

Hmm yeah it is frustrating at times because a small mistake (like the Dominate command picking the wrong target...) can mean a one way ticket to the tower. I am at the first big fort fight and one chieftain is like lvl 28 (I'm lvl 18 so far.) and with the amount of special orcs involved I got absolutely wrecked. I'll have to grind a couple hours to get more levels and a stronger army and maybe take out a warchief first I guess. It's a love-hate relationship on Nemesis difficulty for me. Might switch it down a level.

#12 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (1329 posts) -

I only died twice in the first game, so I didn't get the added fun of the Nemesis system actually creating a memorable nemesis for me. I still went for the default difficulty this time.
And boy, I think it is a lot harder. I have died at least six times already. I am around level 23, and got all the basic moves unlocked I think. Still, the game kicks my ass at times. I have actually had two orcs that pissed me off, which I went on to take revenge on. And I got a couple I am afraid will rise from the dead and haunt me again. That just didn't happen in the first game for me.
Which is one of the cool things about this game, which is something I don't feel most games do. Failing isn't as frustrating because it moves the game forward and creates interesting new stories.

#13 Edited by MagicFlounder (41 posts) -

So far I've been enjoying it, finished up the snow zone's overlord last night. I second other people's posts that the combat drain is just invaluable, especially once you get some upgrades to chain-dominate 2+dudes in one use of the thing for free health and meat shields.

The adapting mechanic can sometimes leave me in a shitty spot during a fight, like when I was fighting a Savage-type warchief who needed to be stunned for attacks, but adapted to the stun move so it didn't affect him anymore. Other times a warchief will just watch as I vault over them 5 times and stunlock them to death, so I'm not really sure what sets it off.

#14 Posted by p4r4digm (18 posts) -

I've now put i think over 5 hours into the starting area before the first story mission there is something wrong with me. I just can't stand the idea of moving on while there's still captains with red 'they killed you' circles under them!

#15 Posted by Efesell (3326 posts) -

@p4r4digm said:

I've now put i think over 5 hours into the starting area before the first story mission there is something wrong with me. I just can't stand the idea of moving on while there's still captains with red 'they killed you' circles under them!

This doesn't seem sustainable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.