Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 10, 2017

Talion returns to confront the Ringwraiths and the dark lord Sauron himself.

How much grinding does shadow of war have?

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By superprohero

Planning to buy this game, but i have heard that loot boxes and microtransaction has converted this game into worst type of grind. I am not the type of person who likes to spend on things like loot boxes or other fancy stuff so just tell me how much grind I will have to go through to finish this game and my skill level is above average.

also i forgot, what type of grinding does this game has? is grinding even enjoyable in this game?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do daily challenges to get loot boxes. I got my 1st one by mistake yesterday.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ares42

I have played something like 20 hours of the game, at about 65% completion. So far it's a fairly standard open-world game, as in main quests side activities etc and you do them as you please. I've yet to engage in any sort of grinding, unless you count doing open-world "stuff" as grinding. I'm fairly confident that unless you want to engage in the post-game there's no need to worry about grinding or loot boxes at all.

As for what kinda grinding it has. Basically it has many of the same systems the first one had as far as trying to level up Orcs. Things like Death Threat, Duels, Trial by Ordeal etc etc, basically a bunch of randomly generated Nemesis missions. However it also has an online element where you can enter random peoples worlds and either hunt down an orc that killed them or attack one of their fortresses (rewarding you with a loot box if successful). The purpose of this is to upgrade your own fortresses, so that when people try to attack yours they might fail which gives you a reward. Or you can do really sneaky shit, like making all the Orcs on a map bodyguard one Orc, then have him kill you to create a hellish online Nemesis mission for other people =)

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Do you think i should wait for game of the year edition or currently it is the right time to buy?

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By superprohero

@ares42: also what is this silver and gold edition?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I haven't run into much need to grind so far, per se, but I'm only eight-ish hours into the game. There are a TON of skills and sub-skills to unlock, though, so I'm not sure how much that'll change by the end of the game. It's worth noting that you can still fairly easily kill orc captains that are higher level than you early on if you just pay attention to their weaknesses or spam the regular attack at them, so it's not like you have to worry a huge amount about them overleveling you in the early game. That might change later on, but for the moment I haven't felt the need to just kill stuff as opposed to following the storyline.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Do you think i should wait for game of the year edition or currently it is the right time to buy?

That is... very dependent on personal preferences etc. Do I feel like it's a rip-off at the moment ? No, it's by no means any less of a game than any other AAA open-world game coming out these days. As you can see I'm expecting it to take me at least 30+ hours to play through the singleplayer campaign, and so far it's pretty much what I expected. As for the editions, I have no idea.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see a potential end scenario where if I need a bunch of high level orcs guarding a fortress THAT might take some time to engineer but very little has suggested so far that I need to buy loot boxes, or even done a particularly good job making that look attractive.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Socuteboss

How long dose it take for the nemesis system to fully unlock? I started tonight and I just finished the mission where you rescue the lady soldiers dad.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Efesell

How long dose it take for the nemesis system to fully unlock? I started tonight and I just finished the mission where rescue the lady soldiers dad.

Almost there.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the loot box stuff just for the post-story gameplay loop. Everything I've heard says loot boxes can be ignored for the main game, at least.

superprohero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the loot box stuff just for the post-story gameplay loop. Everything I've heard says loot boxes can be ignored for the main game, at least.

some people were saying to see the true ending, you will have to defeat super powerful army and to even stand a chance you will need legendary orcs which are locked behind loot boxes.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cornfed40

@superprohero said:
    @stryker1121 said:

some people were saying to see the true ending, you will have to defeat super powerful army and to even stand a chance you will need legendary orcs which are locked behind loot boxes.

I wouldn't really call it a "true" ending, more like a "lets get really stupid here." Think of it kind of like the "true" ending to Arkham Knight, except even less impactful. And honestly, that endgame stuff is really not even that hard and doesn't really require much grinding if you played the rest of the game like most people do and spent more time just wandering the world than just mainlining the junk story missions. Theres a pretty sneaky way around defending all your fortresses if you just give them up and then re-take them after going through the warchiefs like you would have done to take them in the first place during the main game. I guess this could be considered "grinding," but to me was the best part of the game anyways, so I'm good with doing a little more.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero said:
    @stryker1121 said:

I wouldn't really call it a "true" ending, more like a "little bit more." Think of it kind of like the "true" ending to Arkham Knight, except even less impactful. And honestly, that endgame stuff is really not even that hard and doesn't really require much grinding if you played the rest of the game like most people do and spent more time just wandering the world than just mainlining the junk story missions. Theres a pretty sneaky way around defending all your fortresses if you just give them up and then re-take them after going through the warchiefs like you would have done to take them in the first place during the main game. I guess this could be considered "grinding," but to me was the best part of the game anyways, so I'm good with doing a little more.

Yeah that's what I heard - although the Arkham Knight thing was nonsense haha. I'm fine with skipping the true ending, but if I'm having fun and can skip out on the loot boxes, I'd certainly be in for a "little bit more." I play these types of games very meticulously, so I'd likely be in the same boat as you come end-game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.