Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Might & Magic Heroes VI

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 11, 2011

Might & Magic Heroes VI is the sixth installment in the long running spin-off of the Might & Magic saga. This is the first game of the series to be developed by Black Hole Entertainment.

Might & Magic Heroes VI Hitting The PC In 2011

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Fans are helping to shape the next Might & Magic title, Might & Magic Heroes VI, according to a recent Ubisoft press release.

But the things fans will be "aiding"  developer Black Hole Entertainment with won't be within the realm of fresh concepts or ideas. Publisher Ubisoft is stressing that Might & Magic Heroes VI will be a return to the usual. The sixth title will retain the series' traditional mix of turn-based and RPG mechanics that will have players recruiting and leveling troops, as well as collecting resources, battling, and erecting cities. A new reputation system is being created, however.

No Caption Provided

Ubisoft calls this design approach "remastering," which is a process that I've always associated with sexing up audio originally recorded on vinyl. Regardless, Black Hole isn't going at development alone. Somehow, the Armies of Exigo developer is working "in close partnership with the game's fans."

Might & Magic Heroes VI kicks off 400 years before Might & Magic Heroes V and revolves around a story in which an Archangel comes back to life right before a demonic invasion. As a member of the Griffin Dukes, players will be tasked with putting a stop to his warring. Interestingly, individual outcomes may differ: the game will have some sort of branching plot structure. It will also have an in-game system that allows players to post "content" straight to the Might & Magic Heroes VI community.

Expect Might & Magic Heroes VI, a PC-exclusive title, at some point in 2011. The game's first trailer is just below.  

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Fans are helping to shape the next Might & Magic title, Might & Magic Heroes VI, according to a recent Ubisoft press release.

But the things fans will be "aiding"  developer Black Hole Entertainment with won't be within the realm of fresh concepts or ideas. Publisher Ubisoft is stressing that Might & Magic Heroes VI will be a return to the usual. The sixth title will retain the series' traditional mix of turn-based and RPG mechanics that will have players recruiting and leveling troops, as well as collecting resources, battling, and erecting cities. A new reputation system is being created, however.

No Caption Provided

Ubisoft calls this design approach "remastering," which is a process that I've always associated with sexing up audio originally recorded on vinyl. Regardless, Black Hole isn't going at development alone. Somehow, the Armies of Exigo developer is working "in close partnership with the game's fans."

Might & Magic Heroes VI kicks off 400 years before Might & Magic Heroes V and revolves around a story in which an Archangel comes back to life right before a demonic invasion. As a member of the Griffin Dukes, players will be tasked with putting a stop to his warring. Interestingly, individual outcomes may differ: the game will have some sort of branching plot structure. It will also have an in-game system that allows players to post "content" straight to the Might & Magic Heroes VI community.

Expect Might & Magic Heroes VI, a PC-exclusive title, at some point in 2011. The game's first trailer is just below.  

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

The last fun HOMM was III. Maybe time to develop for consoles too?

Two firsts in one minute. That's right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Eh, M and M isnt the same anymore

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jmfinamore

So it is Heroes of Might and Magic. Good to hear.

Woah, didn't even notice the "heroes" at the end of the title. That's unnecessary.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aas

"Might and Magic" and "Heroes of Might and Magic" are different series. Right?

HellRaiser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HellRaiser91

Yes,the original M&M series has no relation to the Heroes franchise

Myrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Myrmidon

God damnit, I wanted a new RPG. But also awesome, as I love Heroes too.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious

Didn't they say that they are done with Heroes at some point? Great news nonetheless, I'm excited.

valentin_rad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By valentin_rad

Didn't like the story in V and the units were a little too cartoony for my tastes. It's nice that they went for a slightly more realistic approach, can't wait for this to come out!

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Tiwi
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " Didn't they say that they are done with Heroes at some point? Great news nonetheless, I'm excited. "
    yeah they did,heros V was supposed to be the last one. sadly the new one will never surpass the third installment, so why even bother...
    Bolthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bolthor

Great news, Heroes of Might and Magic III is one of my all-time favorites.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

Awesome.  It's a great time to be a PC gamer again.

Ravenlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenlock

"Might & Magic Heroes VI kicks off 400 years before Might & Magic Heroes V" ...Really? Their rebranding of the series requires you to change the name of the previous games, too? :-p

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NoXious

Weird name, Heroes of Might and Magic vs Might and Magic Heroes...
    But I'm glad the game stays the same! I can't wait for this new release.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Aas said:
    " "Might and Magic" and "Heroes of Might and Magic" are different series. Right? "
    Heroes is the turn based strategy spinoff to Might and Magic's first person party based RPG. Of course, they haven't made a real Might and Magic RPG since 2002, and that was when New World Computing still owned the franchise.  

However, I have to say that this rebranding effort is pretty fucking stupid. Sure, I guess it helps ubisoft distinguish its games from NWC's, but really it sounds pretty lame putting Might and Magic first instead of the other way around. As for what I think about this? Despite all the venom it gets from the (jaded and bitter) Might and Magic community, Heroes V was a worthy successor to the franchise. I still care enough to see how this one ends up.  
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By august

But the things fans will be "aiding"  developer Black Hole Entertainment with won't be within the realm of fresh concepts or ideas.

I must have accidentally pointed my browser to kotaku.com.

EDIT: My bad, the Kotaku article is actually way better than this one.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By maxszy

Interesting. The last heroes I absolutely enjoyed was HOMM3. In fact, its one of my favorite games of all time. I can still play it for hours from time to time. This looks promising though, I will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#18  Edited By JackiJinx

I've never really cared about the stories in the MM games. I've always done it for the weird player created scenarios. That, and pitting hundreds of griffin against X enemy is always fun.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Ignor

Blasted Ashan!

tuksu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tuksu

I'm huge fan of HOMM series, so happy that this is coming :) but no gameplay footage, that's sad.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#21  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Looking forward to this, but I still wouldn't mind a return or a reboot of the Might and Magic original series of games with the same created party structure and basic gameplay.  Eh, I can wish, right?

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Tordah

I don't know if I should have high hopes for this or not since I skipped Heroes 5. I absolutely love the earlier games though so I hope they can recapture some of that magic!

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoshLarson

I'm not a fan of putting the "Heroes" monicker at the end of Might and Magic, however I am excited to be getting another entry into this series. Heroes 2 and 3 were fantastic, never played 4 (own it though), 5 was pretty but it had absolutely broken online play (Ubisoft's specialty it seems). Civ 5 and Heroes 6 seem to be holding the torch for good turn-based strategy games (still hoping for a Master of Orion 4 from whoever owns the Microprose brand).
    Julchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Julchief

F this, go make Heroes 3 again...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By crusader8463

Been dieing for a good PC TBRPG for some time now, so hopefully this will be the one to do it. I just hope these idiots don't destroy the game by forcing that DRM shit of theirs on it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's great to know that a new HOMM is in the works but the change in name is fucking retarded.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shaka999

I haven't played one of these games in ages... I wish I had a PC to jump on :/

felixculpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By felixculpa

Tis' awesome that a 6th finally coming.

AngryMrWiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AngryMrWiggles

Not sure if I want.....

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By mariussmit

Might and Magic Heroes VI? Why stick the VI on there if you are going to change the front part of the name? It as if they are so dead set on brand recognition that they are willing to make the name sound like gibberish as long as that gibberish contains a known name (or some permutation thereof) and any digit greater than 1 in there (because god forbid an original IP).  

Here are some other ideas then: Solid Metal Gear V, Evil Resident VI, Age of Dragons 2 (that way you get brand recognition for both Age of Empires and Dragon Age), Super New Mario Galaxy What the fuck brothers 12. 

Underwhelmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Underwhelmed
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @Aas said:
    " "Might and Magic" and "Heroes of Might and Magic" are different series. Right? "
     As for what I think about this? Despite all the venom it gets from the (jaded and bitter) Might and Magic community, Heroes V was a worthy successor to the franchise. I still care enough to see how this one ends up.   "
    5's biggest problem was that the AI was horrible. Unforgivably horrible, and I still cannot fathom how a turn based strategy game that was primarily unaltered from HOMM3 (which ran like a charm, had more complex maps and had 6+ AI opponents' turns requiring less than 15 seconds total for all 6 even back in 2000) had AI turns on most maps taking upwards of several minutes to complete. Never mind that the random map generator included with the expansions often creates unpassable maps, and would often have AI opponents turtled up in their starting city 40 or 50 rounds into the game. I actually just fired this up earlier today (a pure coincidence) and was saddened to see that even on a machine many years more advanced than the "recommended" system at the time of publication, I still had to sit and wait forever during AI turns on maps with multiple AI opponents. 

The sad thing  though, is that I wanted to like this game more than number 3. I liked that each faction now had its own city gimmick, and that more of the troops had special abilities making the units of different races play very differently from one another. I loved seeing the heroes participating in battle, and it actually made the warrior heroes as cool as the wizards (the extra attack and defense bonuses always made them as effective, but it was nice to have a targeted ability) I also liked the art style over the original (which always reminded me of amateur heavy metal album cover imitation art). It just wasn't as good or nearly as much fun as 3 though. Hopefully 6 gets it right again.
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Kinda curious about this. I still boot up HoMM III from time to time. Great fucking game. 

That said, I kinda feel like the revamps of King's Bounty over the past couple years covered more ground than HoMM V did. I will be utterly bummed out if I can't marry a zombie in HoMM VI.
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Chummy8

Ok. I'm in

Avatar image for deactivated-58d40f04a3868
    deactivated-58d40f04a3868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might and Magic: Heroes VI   
    ubisoft, colons go along way.

but yes, get back to me when you show me a decent hot seating function, with more than 2 or 3 maps. until then me and my little bro will be playing 3.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wandrecanada

I have a funny feeling King's Bounty series will still be a better game than any of the Heroes of Might and Magic series.  Perhaps they figured the popularity of the new King's Bounty games are license to flood the market with more?

xtremetennis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xtremetennis

Hopefully it will be something besides a carbon copy of HM&M 3 like HM&M 5 was...

BadJackDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By BadJackDaniels

Very nice...
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By valrog

I am really excited for it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us

Not so interested in this one.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho
    @Aas said:
    Yes. Brad the fuckup gafs again.
    astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By astrophyle

I played Heroes 1 when it came out, a little of 3, and plenty of the last one, Heroes 5, and I liked each one, even though they never changed a whole lot from one to the next.  I like this kind of turn-based strategy, so I'm looking forward to another in the series.  I'm just sad that the Might and Magic franchise took a turn for the worse several years ago.  MM2 and MM3 are a couple of my all-time favorite RPGs.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Loved Heroes 3 as a kid so if this new one is anything like Heroes 3 then I will definately purchase. Only watched my friend play Heroes 5 and it didn't look good so here's hoping it's not like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.