Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Any tips for finding coal?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I have recently got way in to Minecraft but I really struggling to find coal, I have started again and again lots of times in hopes of finding coal, but no luck. Is there any tips for finding coal or is there another way to make light?

krushr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By krushr

Find a forest and set it on fire?

Coal seems pretty common in the game, I'd just start digging through something and you're likely to find some at some point.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By B0nd07

Coal can be found just about anywhere; sometimes it's right out in the open, other times you'll have to do some digging. If you absolutely need torches, but can't find any coal, and if you have a furnace, you can use wood planks to "cook" some logs to make charcoal, which I think works just like regular coal. I think you need one plank per log that you want to cook. Planks aren't very efficient fuel.

Avatar image for thebootlegsaint
    TheBootlegSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheBootlegSaint

I usually find it in mountains. Just look on the outside of the mountains and your bound to find some.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Subjugation

Coal is great and all, but the smart man migrates over to charcoal as soon as possible. Trees are a renewable resource, and by extension so is charcoal. If you get a good tree farm going and cook the raw logs in a furnace you will very quickly end up with more charcoal than the wood you are consuming. 1 coal/charcoal can cook 8 logs resulting in 8 charcoal. Rinse and repeat the process until you have the fuel coming out of your ears.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By yoshimitz707

I just trust in my senses.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Vexxan

The mountains are great. If it's not visible on the outside it's only a few blocks away on the inside.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Synthballs

It's EVERYWHERE MAN!

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Three0neFive
    @weeman105 said:

Coal is great and all, but the smart man migrates over to charcoal as soon as possible. Trees are a renewable resource, and by extension so is charcoal. If you get a good tree farm going and cook the raw logs in a furnace you will very quickly end up with more charcoal than the wood you are consuming. 1 coal/charcoal can cook 8 logs resulting in 8 charcoal. Rinse and repeat the process until you have the fuel coming out of your ears.

I have played this game for almost a hundred hours and did not know this.

I feel like I've failed both as a gamer and a person.
    ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThePaleKing

Be a bad boy; Santa will bring you some. 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Devil240Z

Yeah just open your eyes. Coal is everywhere.

iTreefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By iTreefish

I've heard rumors that digging down from where you initially spawn generally yields coal. Never tested myself however...

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By clstirens
    @Hizang: You can actually make charcoal once you have a furnace. Once you have a furnace "cook" logs (not wood, logs) and it will give you charcoal. It's an easily renewable source of torches.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I downloaded the Moar Ore mod, so I could stock up before the update. You hit an coal ore block and receive 4-6. Coal isn't hard to find, but I'm lazy.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Dig.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JP_Russell
    @weeman105 said:

Egh.  Wood is needed for lots of other things, though, which means you have to spend more time planting and chopping down trees if you're going to frequently use up your wood on charcoal.  More than that, coal is plentiful enough in your travels that there shouldn't ever be a need to switch over to charcoal. 

I would argue more that charcoal is good for the early game as a backup resource for making torches in case you haven't been able to find much coal yet.  After that, I see no reason to not just use coal because you'll find it all over the place underground.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.