Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

I don't think Giant Bomb understands what Minecraft is.

• 67 results
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Sin4profit
    @TwoLines said:
    " I think it's neither a survival game nor a game about creating things. It's exploration focused. There. "
    i'm surprised no one else said this yet...i don't know about "focused" but i just think it's a  good balance of all of these three things, creativity, exploration and survival.

According to the Wiki there's suppose to be an unreleased "adventure mode" that you can't dig or build in...THAT will be more of a survival mode.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By meteora

I always felt that Minecraft was more of a creative game than a survival one, simply because of how the game was so simple and that people went out to make crazy shit out of the blocks.

vodsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By vodsel
    @drag said:

" Minecraft is whatever you want it to be, don't dictate to people how they should and shouldn't play it.  "

Where did I dictate anyone? Don't attempt to one-up someone without knowing what you're talking about.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Deusoma
    @Take_Opal said:
    " @drag said:

" Minecraft is whatever you want it to be, don't dictate to people how they should and shouldn't play it.  "

Where did I dictate anyone? Don't attempt to one-up someone without knowing what you're talking about. "
    You have basically said, over and over, that Minecraft is a survival game, and that anyone who thinks differently is flat-out wrong.  Relax, friend, these people have a different opinion than yours, it doesn't make yours any less valid.
    clydebink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57  Edited By clydebink
    @Take_Opal:  I feel ya. For some reason, I have have gone into minecraft afraid of the monsters (regardless of their real difficulty or the punishments of a death) and have had hours of ecstatic enjoyment planning out my daytime activities and improving my home base by considering my needs. I made it taller with torches so I could see it from afar; I have a tower from which I can scope out points of interest; I have multiple entrances and exits because creepers have been waiting outside for me. I even have pit traps that I can run past in case I'm being chased.  I prepare for my ventures into the surrounding mountains, valleys and caves. And I've had a lot of intense moments of panic and have come up with ingenious solutions to obstacles that I insisted on overcoming.  
    After 10 deaths or so, I've decided that whenever I die, I must exile myself from the spawn point with a journey of at least a day and night. Slowly I build the world up around me. Chests of treasures from past lives lay where they were when I was blown into a tree by a creeper explosion and then shot down by an arrow.  One day, I may accidentally come across my waterfall castle, but I wouldn't know how to get to it.  
    None of this is required by the game's mechanics, but as I continue to play and see opportunities to experience the cubical world in more immersive ways, I make those rules and I stick to them because it makes every piece of coal I mine matter at the moment that I find it.  
    I don't know how to communicate a reason to care about getting enough string from a spider to make a bow. I don't know why I care, but I have a plan to build a tower near some trees and then set the trees afire when I hear a slurping sound. And it's going to be awesome. 
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#58  Edited By LordAndrew

You build to survive, and you survive to build. Does it really have to be mutually exclusive?

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    "Really, though, can anyone truly understand Minecraft? Think about that... "

thats deep man 
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Milkman

The developers may want it to be a survival game but that's not why anyone cares about Minecraft.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MikkaQ

I think once this becomes more of a game, I'll be done with Minecraft. I just want to either build wicked shit, or make increasingly insane TNT bombs, my most recent being a 16x16x16 TNT cube that dug a mammoth sized hole in the landscape, and hollowed out a mountain. Anything that wants to get in the way of that is kinda lame. 

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By BionicMonster
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Take_Opal said:
    " Minecraft was created out of the idea of Infinimner and Dwarf Fortress. The pay game has always been survival, the creative portion is a "taste" which is why it's free. "
    It might have been created with that in mind. But right now its so early on it has very little in Survival.  "
    So little in fact, that the lowest difficulty has no monsters at all.
    IG__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By IG__

I agree with you OP, I only build stuff that I really need and yet I still love Minecraft.

To me if just seems like GB don't understand that the game has a huge exploration element to it. And they also don't seem to understand how intense the gameplay can be. Anyone who has at least once got lost in a huge natural cave with holes everywhere and a bunch of moaning mobs behind each wall, can tell just how tense and scary Minecraft can be.

Really Minecraft has scared me more than all actual horror games I played in the last 5 years together.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#64  Edited By Claude

It seems like a game I need to experience. I've got my mind on a way to craft my way into its realm.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Claude said:
    " It seems like a game I need to experience."

Yes you do!
    altbotdos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#66  Edited By altbotdos

I like this thread because I can mine the stuff, then use the pieces to make other stuff. I am kind of glad, however, that the staff (and especially the forumgoers) are not trying to kill me, at night spacifically. Or in the caves that I frequent IRL. Because I am totally into that too, you know. 

edit: The Descent was the shit.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By Brenderous

I think most people play multiplayer where the monsters are harmless.

KaiUnderneath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#68  Edited By KaiUnderneath

I enjoy playing Minecraft because of the survival aspect. Admittedly there's still a long way to go before the survival stuff is where I want it to be, but the way it is now is still very survival based. That is if you play Single Player on a harder difficulty. 
    Minecraft has become so popular both because of the creativity element and the survival element. It's just that the creativity stuff is the stuff people see most that makes them go "wow". 
    I'm just looking forward to the future of the survival mode. I already love how it feels to be building my own house on top of a mountain until I realise that I need more supplies and have to go deep into a cave to get them where suddenly I'm not so safe anymore. 
    It can be pretty intense.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AuthenticM

We should beg for a QL.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.